Old 04-04-2015, 10:58 PM   #21

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Deuce
Vessel Model: Motorcat MC30
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Finally glad to see a Motorcat owner here on the Forum. Numerous threads could have used the input of a member with Motorcat experience. The boat has two of the most efficient hulls out there, and in an independent test held in the UK, I read that the MC-30 was able to cruise at 10 knots with two 10 HP outboards. I've often thought that after I finish cruising, an MC-30 would fit the bill for our type of usage.
I wish I would have known. I've owned my MC30 for over 10 years now. With Honda 50s we cruised at 15-16 knots. With the 60s we're 18+. Easy boat to dock too. We have no plans to get rid of her (sorry. folks :-). The Gulfstar may end up in FL and the Motorcat may stay in MD. Or, it may be the other way around for a few years. Having one boat that can be trailered gives us many options.

Quote:
I sent some MC-30 "Pilothouse" Photoshop mods to Kriz in Poland some time ago, never thinking that they would make a MC-29 "Coupe" of their own....also a nice boat. Best of luck with the GC-36. It certainly is at the far end of the spectrum away from the MC, but a great boat in its own right.
I know Kris rather well. I've run the "low traffic" owners group for years. Sadly, the molds are for sale and Bond Yachts (the exclusive yard that built the boats) closed it's doors late last year. Kris and I are still in touch on Facebook, but I think he's totally moved on. Some other Motorcat/Bond Yachts people have asked me to buy into the molds and such, but they want to keep everything in Poland. I've been in business (non-boating industry) for over 20 years and didn't feel that deal would work well for me. Perhaps one day the brand will come back.

As for the "Pilothouse" version you speak of, did you know about the MC30X? They "mated" the hard-top from the MC-29 to the hulls of the MC30. There is only one in existence that I know of and it's at my marina! She's still on the shipping cradle from almost 2 years ago. I have a key as I'm helping the owner with outfitting her. A good looking boat on the outside, but a complete waste of space on the inside. The aft berths that I have for storage are closed off.

I'll run my mouth about power cats and Motorcats/MC30s all day long. Where do you all suggest I do so on this forum? Is there a thread or topic area outside of the Gulfstar sub-forum?

--Kurt

Gulfstar 36 MKII - 1976 - Work in progress
mixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #22

What do other 36' owners have for a/c units? Do you have one or two? What BTUs? The boat I have seems to have come from the factory with these strange units that look like window units but are water-cooled (I forget the brand but I know they're long out of business).

Old 03-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #23

If anyone wants/needs the old Gulfstar air conditioning units mine are free for pickup. They've been removed and modern stuff is going in. The refit is going very, very well. Still absolutely no plans to sell the MC30 power cat. She's just too good of an off-shore boat.