Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
Bill - The battery bank is directly below the lower helm, forward of the starboard engine. There is 2.5' x 2.5' hatch in the floor that allows access for inspections and servicing. My battery charger and combiner are mounted on the bulkheads near there as well.
Thanks I know where you are talking about. I thought part of that area was the top of the diesel fuel tank?
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #22

City: New Bern, N.C.
Yes, it is over part of the fuel tank, but I don't see that as an issue. There is an air gap between the deck and the top of the tank.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
Yes, it is over part of the fuel tank, but I don't see that as an issue. There is an air gap between the deck and the top of the tank.
Thanks I was unaware of the gap I'll check that out when I visit the Gulfstar later this week to prepare her for the trip to NJ.
Bill
Old 06-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #24

City: Washington DC
Vessel Name: Après Ski
Vessel Model: 1991 French Canal Boat
Well, we are both excited and terrified. Excited because we are now the owners of a 1976 Gulfstar 43 MK II trawler , and terrified because we are now the owners of a 1976 Gulfstar 43 MK II trawler.

Survey went well, hull and decks tapped out great except for one small deck delam right under the ladder to the flybridge. Cutlass bearings need replacing, the dripless seals need service (they drip a little), and the seacocks are original equipment and are a bit stiff (but should be serviceable). Other than that, the boat was in solid shape. Lots of new stuff (Lectrasan system, Force 10 hot water heater, inverter, charger, fresh water filter, new-ish chart plotter, new-ish canvas/glass in good shape) plus at least $10k in spare parts and tools and fittings and cleaning supplies (2 spare props, 1 spare prop shaft, lots of pumps, filters, etc.).

The only big ticket item will be to get a new generator - the old one is original equipment, but has probably lost compression (is hard to start), and the owner was right up front with that the moment we first expressed interest in the boat. Said he would discount $15k right off the bat for that. So purchase price was very good (I think), first number was a 3.

Took her for a spin yesterday from Hampton Roads, VA, down thru Norfolk to Atlantic Yacht Basin in Chesapeake. Am getting quotes for the running gear work, and to repair the deck delam and re-install the aft cabin escape hatch (previous owner had removed). As my favorite wife pointed out, she doesn't want her last thought, as we burn to death, to be that we should have spent $2k getting an escape hatch installed. Very practical woman!

Finally, a pic of soon-to-be Ex "Tally Ho" - new name to be revealed later.

Thank you all for your previous feedback and support!
-Kent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-11 16.27.59.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	30666  
Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #25

A few more pics from around the boat - should be recognizable to all the Gulfstar owners out there. One thing that's kind of hard to see is the amazing custom cabinetry work in the master cabin done by the original owner. Really A+ work, and a ton of storage.

-Kent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-14 08.27.39.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	30667   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-14 08.26.00.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	30668   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-14 08.26.23.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	30669   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-14 08.26.32.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	30670   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-14 08.29.10.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	30671  

Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
Guru

Kent that's one nice looking 43 MarkII. Congrats is all I can say I assume the boat has a pair of 6-354M Perkins engines and Borg 71C transmissions?
I know how you feel about being concerned about a boat this old. I have my concerns as well but so far everything has worked out well for us.
It sounds like you got a great deal. I paid $17k for my 1976 36 MarkII but between the tank fuel service, the diesel mechanic (all new oil, fuel, rubber belts and hoses were replaced) and the yards preliminary work the figure is about $22k. I'm currently having the port rudder re-glassed it had some (<4) minor quarter to nickel size blisters and both rudder bearings and packing glands were getting old and I'm having the cutlass and shaft seals done as well.
I'll have to have canvas work done but that can wait until I get the boat to NJ.
Best of luck with her and keep the pictures coming!
Bill
Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #27
Guru

I agree about the interiors being really nice. My Teak is in top notch shape because the owners had all the windows covered.
Bill
Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Best of luck with her and keep the pictures coming!
Thanks! Yes to your question about engines and transmissions.

Boat appears well cared-for in the past, then suffered a bit of neglect for the past two years (medical issues, ain't it always so...), but hopefully nothing a wire brush, a sander, some paint, a caulk gun and a shop vac can't fix.

As for keeping the pics coming, our situation is a bit... complicated. We are actually heading to France in a few days to spend 3 months on our canal boat. So Ex- "Tally Ho" will sit under cover at Atlantic Yacht Basin and get fixed up, then we hope to do some Chesapeake Bay cruising in the fall. So I'll probably be a bit scarce on this forum for a few months, then plan to get back in the saddle.

And yes, to several members' points, I am growing to like and appreciate the GS "lines" too. Didn't grab me that much at first glance, but after getting to know her I now think she's a stylish and well-proportioned design. Probably some "pride of ownership" in there too! Favorite wife says that life is too short to own an ugly boat.

Thanks again to all of you for your support!
-Kent
Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #29
Guru

Kent enjoy cruising on your Canal boat.
As far as the lines of the GS Mark1 & II's it does grow on you. I wasn't too interested in these boats when I 1st started looking 4 years ago. I really wanted a Californian 34 LRC. I couldn't find any on the East coast that were properly priced or in the condition I wanted as a starting point. Then I started watching my current Gulfstar and 3 others. By the time I called on the 1st 3 boats they were all sold.
The boat my wife and I bought suffered from the same conditions your's did, one owner broke her hip and they could no longer climb on the boat. The boat is pretty basic almost no modifications were done to her but she was sound.
Bill
Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Well bought boat. Enjoy France.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #31
Guru

Kent just an FYI in addition to the work done by the Perkins diesel mechanic I also had him replace all the raw water impellers on the engines as well as the generator. My generator is not the original it was replaced about 6 years ago and it has 460 hours on it. I had trouble with it and it was a bad oil pressure sender. Once that was diagnosed and replaced it runs very well. It's also an 1800 rpm Westerbeke so it's quiet.
Bill
Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apres Ski View Post
A few more pics from around the boat - should be recognizable to all the Gulfstar owners out there. One thing that's kind of hard to see is the amazing custom cabinetry work in the master cabin done by the original owner. Really A+ work, and a ton of storage.

-Kent
Just found this posting of yours, so my question on the other subject thread as to whether you had found a vessel for use in the USA is now a moot one.

In my search for a live-aboard trawler I got swayed over to a motoryacht,...more specifically to a 42 Chris Craft Catalina model. Look at the layout on this vessel,....very liveable. And these vessels are all glass with almost no reports of 'cored' construction problems.

There were a number of them on the market at very attractive prices. I even started through the process of buying one of them, but had to back out,.....in the end could not convince my Thai wife to a liveaboard situation.

Have fun in France, and hope to hear of your latest jaunts thru the canals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chris Craft 425_426_427 Catalina.pdf (271.8 KB, 48 views)
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: New Baltimore
Vessel Name: ReeLeeBlest
Vessel Model: Carver 4207
What did you pay for your Gulfstar. we look at a 73 tomorrow with twin turbo perkins. How is the parts situation
Wzdr02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #34

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
If they are turbo Perkins engines they are not original for this boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wzdr02 View Post
What did you pay for your Gulfstar. we look at a 73 tomorrow with twin turbo perkins. How is the parts situation
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: New Baltimore
Vessel Name: ReeLeeBlest
Vessel Model: Carver 4207
I appreciate the feedback. But we visited the boat today and it was part of all of the original paper work.
Wzdr02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #36
Guru

If you happen to be interested in a 1976 36 Mark II Gulfstar I'm considering selling mine for $17k. It's in Essex Maryland currently on the hard. I have a recent survey <6 months old and I have a pair of the Perkins 4-154 62hp engines which I don't have a problem with them. The boat also has a newer Westerbeke 4.8 kw AC generator with a 50 amp alternator 1800rpm diesel.
I'm only considering selling the Gulfstar because it's over 120 miles away and I don't have much spare time lately. If interested the boat is at the old Rileys marina and can be seen almost anytime. She is mechanically and structurally sound it needs some wiring and updating of the interior. I'd prefer to find another GS 36 MarkII or something slightly smaller in NJ. I might even be interested in a Bayliner 2859 as a trade I'm thinking a boat that can be trailered might be better for me.
Bill
b.lentz@certifiedrf.com
Old 06-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #37

City: Ft. Myers
Have a 43 GS Mark II
No window leaks... We have original windows... Have a place in V Berth where it has leaked at some time, but not leaking when we bought the boat. Also have a large window that leaked due to no one taking care of it... We bough the boat and resealed the window and no more leaks. Have no leaks with any of the small side windows. They work great and I open them often.
Engine room:,my husbands favorite saying... "If only I could fold myself up like a pretzel"!
It is not large but we manage and sometimes I go in because I'm 100 lbs and can get to some things easier.
She handles great. We are happy with her! Gets a little tender in a beam sea.
We love this old girl as she is easy on fuel and we have all the creature comforts... Solar, wind, two friges, a chest freezer and washer/ dryer, and most important a queen bed... As we r gettin old. Ha! Husband says she's a great value for the price! Hope this helps you.
Judy & Cris
Aboard Distant Star
Distant Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #38
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #39

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Congrats on the new purchase. Our 1973 Mark 1 43ft has turbo Perkins, original, for what that's worth. Just put her up for sale in the Classifieds.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #40

City: Spring City
Vessel Name: interlude
Vessel Model: Gulfstar Mk11
we bought a 1976 mk11 43 a short while ago and love it, the room and the upper and lower nav stations. Particularly like the way she handles as that big keel really keeps her going where you want and the 2 Perkins make manouvering real easy. Havent figured it all out yet but getting there slowly.

yamabuki is offline   Reply With Quote