Old 12-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

City: PICKWICK LAKE, BEAR CREEK
Vessel Model: Tiara 33 - Open - twin perkins
Gulfstar 44 owners

We are getting ready to close on our new to us 1980 GS 44 located in Nashville, TN. Planning to live aboard and cruise, do the loop and follow good weather to points unknown.
The boat is in pretty good condition and has surveyed out with only minor issues but no one knows these boats as well as current or previous owners so.....anyone out there with good info for newbies ?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the boat:

1980 Gulfstar 44 Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thank You
BinkleyBoat
BinkleyBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Looks very nice and the asking price is reasonable also. Should give you lots of enjoyment.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Looks like a very nice boat!

Just noticed when reviewing the photos that the broker made this comment: "Brokers Notes: Vessel is due for bottom job & compound and wax & tuneup. We are priced accordingly."

Sometimes a broker will use the term "bottom job" to refer to the need for a complete stripping of the gelcoat to get rid of blisters. Sometimes they are referring to only a power washing, sanding and applying new bottom paint. There is a major difference in cost. A "bottom job" referring to ablation of blisters would probably cost $12,000 to $16,000 for that size boat (rough estimate based on my experience). If he is only talking about "Time to paint the bottom", it isn't as big a concern at all.

Brokers need to cover their behinds and must disclose certain known problems. By placing "Time for a bottom job" in the ad, he may be doing just that. Also, it is common that a boat needs a compounding and waxing, but when he throws in "and a tuneup", it sets off a red flag that there may be problems with the engine. I would ask him specifically what he means.

Also, do not allow the seller, the broker or the yard to recommend your surveyor. Find your own surveyors that have no connection to the sales "team". Just FWIW

Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Based on pics, there is a major disparity in engine hours between engines. Why? Gauge, rebuild, or ...?
I understand "tuneup" in autos, but in boats?? Like "bottom job", it`s vague enough to cover a range of issues requiring attention, which the broker can say were disclosed. Just the brokers way of expression, or there are issues to uncover. Much of the interior looks great. Maybe ask him what he means.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Chula Vista, Ca
Vessel Name: Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Model: Gulf Star
BinkleyBoat
We are currently on our 78 44' GS at Marina Coral, Ensenada, Mexico. We are well into our 4th year aboard the Curly. Communications here sometimes difficult but would be glad to answer any questions, etc. We are very happy with the boat and have found it to be one of the better built vessels of its era. We early on located a very through and informative review of the late 70's 44s and would provide a copy upon request.
Jim H.
henryj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryj2 View Post
BinkleyBoat
We are currently on our 78 44' GS at Marina Coral, Ensenada, Mexico. We are well into our 4th year aboard the Curly. Communications here sometimes difficult but would be glad to answer any questions, etc. We are very happy with the boat and have found it to be one of the better built vessels of its era. We early on located a very through and informative review of the late 70's 44s and would provide a copy upon request.
Jim H.
Thanks for your response. I will PM my email address. There is a great deal of documentation on the boat but I have not had a chance to sort it yet. Should be closing before the 1st of Jan.
Mexico, Wow. I'm going t love this new lifestyle.
Binkleyboat
Old 12-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Based on pics, there is a major disparity in engine hours between engines. Why? Gauge, rebuild, or ...?
I understand "tuneup" in autos, but in boats?? Like "bottom job", it`s vague enough to cover a range of issues requiring attention, which the broker can say were disclosed. Just the brokers way of expression, or there are issues to uncover. Much of the interior looks great. Maybe ask him what he means.

A complete interior/hullout survey was completed and found nothing major. "
Above Average" was the stated condition. The bottom was dirty and needs to be cleaned and painted but surveyed well. Found a few quarter size blisters and a couple half dollars. This boat has 11 thruhulls and all were inspected.
The PO ran on one engine when crusing, I am told. We are in process of having a compleete engine survey completed. Eyes wide open And very usefull. The broker has been very cooperative and has gone out of his way to meet our needs. No worries, yet.
I will update as necessary.

Binkleyboat
Old 12-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post
Looks like a very nice boat!

Just noticed when reviewing the photos that the broker made this comment: "Brokers Notes: Vessel is due for bottom job & compound and wax & tuneup. We are priced accordingly."

Sometimes a broker will use the term "bottom job" to refer to the need for a complete stripping of the gelcoat to get rid of blisters. Sometimes they are referring to only a power washing, sanding and applying new bottom paint. There is a major difference in cost. A "bottom job" referring to ablation of blisters would probably cost $12,000 to $16,000 for that size boat (rough estimate based on my experience). If he is only talking about "Time to paint the bottom", it isn't as big a concern at all.

Brokers need to cover their behinds and must disclose certain known problems. By placing "Time for a bottom job" in the ad, he may be doing just that. Also, it is common that a boat needs a compounding and waxing, but when he throws in "and a tuneup", it sets off a red flag that there may be problems with the engine. I would ask him specifically what he means.

Also, do not allow the seller, the broker or the yard to recommend your surveyor. Find your own surveyors that have no connection to the sales "team". Just FWIW

All good and thanks for the heads up.
At this point I cannot comment about all aspects of the "deal" for obvious reasons but we are informed buyers and smart enough to listen to the knowledgeable folks we have hired and all of you wonderfull members of TF for advise.
One of the best decisions we made was joining this fourm
Thanks to all and keep on posting. Knowledge is power!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Congratulations BinklyBoat those 44 GS are nice and roomy . Old Hickory is about a three day run or so from where we are . Where are you headed after getting all your work done ? I wish I could offer a marina with services for you to check out but the only ones I know of are about a two day run on the
Cumberland . Good luck with the closing and if you come this way make sure to stop by Paris Landing on the Tennessee mm 66.1.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
BB

On a 35 year old set of Perkins engines the exhaust side and coolers are the area to be very careful and be most concerned. Any leak in the coolers due to age will be catastrophic as it will put water into #6 cylinder. Being a fresh water boat this has been forestalled but be very careful. Especially given the noted discrepancy in engine hours. The reason for the hours' difference is not very convincing. Plus the ER pics show water leakage around the exhaust elbow already. Price out a new set of coolant and exhaust parts to update things, don't be surprised if you hit $5k or more per engine.

Do a full RPM sea trial with the mechanic on board and in the ER when the boat is being tested. A good mechanic knows what to look for and why this full RPM test is needed. If the vessel can't pull full RPM, overheats or blows water/steam somewhere be very careful. Also, viewing the vessel in a hard rain (deck and window leaks) while not undercover would be worthwhile.

As a live aboard in TN the vessel may well be what you need. If you plan on going offshore the pictures show lots of weight up top, loose furniture, stuff sitting around the ER etc.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Congratulations BinklyBoat those 44 GS are nice and roomy . Old Hickory is about a three day run or so from where we are . Where are you headed after getting all your work done ? I wish I could offer a marina with services for you to check out but the only ones I know of are about a two day run on the
Cumberland . Good luck with the closing and if you come this way make sure to stop by Paris Landing on the Tennessee mm 66.1.
Good to know. thanks PM. We are looking for a hull out marina to address some of tyhe updates we need to have done before heading south. Any recomendations will be appreciated.
Looking at Rock Harbor in Nashville but have had no experience with them. Active Captain reviews are dated.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
BB

On a 35 year old set of Perkins engines the exhaust side and coolers are the area to be very careful and be most concerned. Any leak in the coolers due to age will be catastrophic as it will put water into #6 cylinder. Being a fresh water boat this has been forestalled but be very careful. Especially given the noted discrepancy in engine hours. The reason for the hours' difference is not very convincing. Plus the ER pics show water leakage around the exhaust elbow already. Price out a new set of coolant and exhaust parts to update things, don't be surprised if you hit $5k or more per engine.

Do a full RPM sea trial with the mechanic on board and in the ER when the boat is being tested. A good mechanic knows what to look for and why this full RPM test is needed. If the vessel can't pull full RPM, overheats or blows water/steam somewhere be very careful. Also, viewing the vessel in a hard rain (deck and window leaks) while not undercover would be worthwhile.

As a live aboard in TN the vessel may well be what you need. If you plan on going offshore the pictures show lots of weight up top, loose furniture, stuff sitting around the ER etc.
You have a good eye and are correct. Both elbows are being replaced. We are waiting on the starbord elbow ATT. PO is involved so info is not second hand. I have a top notch marine diesel mechanic completing the engine survey and another full blown sea trial with be completed before papers are signed.
Thanks for the heads up on the rain test. The boat has been undercover so I will keep a watch for penetration. No staining found so far. Some mildew has been found due to coondensation. The windows and seals look pretty good at this point. I'll test the portlights and hatches with a hose.

Your Comments appreciated
Ever vigilant
Old 12-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #13
Guru

When you do the hose soaking, test every window, deck penetration, stanchion, fuel and water fills, etc. Old caulk/screw holes can leak if not rebedded in the past decade.

Our boat is in the PNW and outside. Easy to see any water ingress, it does happen as caulk/sealant ages. Years ago we had a teak decked boat on the Mississippi. Sure glad it was under cover like the Gulfstar. In the rain the teak decks were drippy.

Manicoolers? If so, how old? The engines are great, the manicoolers not so much.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Forgive our enthusiasm in suggesting areas where a 35 year old boat might fail. Most of us have paid the price graduating the school of hard knocks and like parents with their kids, don't want them to have to suffer through the same mistakes. You seem to be a very informed buyer and it looks like you may have a winner in this boat. Very nice condition by the looks of the photos. And there are no perfect 35 year old boats! Best of luck to you and we will be very interested in hearing about your projects and travels. Some of us are land-locked and enjoy your travels vicariously.
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post
Forgive our enthusiasm in suggesting areas where a 35 year old boat might fail. Most of us have paid the price graduating the school of hard knocks and like parents with their kids, don't want them to have to suffer through the same mistakes. You seem to be a very informed buyer and it looks like you may have a winner in this boat. Very nice condition by the looks of the photos. And there are no perfect 35 year old boats! Best of luck to you and we will be very interested in hearing about your projects and travels. Some of us are land-locked and enjoy your travels vicariously.
Forgive? nope, you and all the folks on this forum deserve our sincere thanks. My knowledgebase is a direct result of all the information contained herein.
We are currently in Cincinnati waiting to close on the house and living in our RV which is parked in the driveway. We are eagerly awaiting the final seatrial and then closing. Should be in a week or two and then I can start the re-fit albiet small compaired to some I have read about.

BinkleyBoat
Old 12-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #16

Sunchaser - not familiar with the term " manicoolers" Please explain. The engines are stock Perkins T6.3544M rated at 180HP.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinkleyBoat View Post
Sunchaser - not familiar with the term " manicoolers" Please explain. The engines are stock Perkins T6.3544M rated at 180HP.

Manicooler refers to the type of exhaust manifold and material being used. One thing to look for is the source of cooling water for the exhaust manifold- Is it coolant or raw water cooled. In your case if raw water cooled it may be fine as it appears to be fresh water boat. But in salt water the raw water design has a finite life.

Your mechanic should know all about this arrangement called "manicooler" or in some cases "multi cooler." Lots on boat diesel about this arrangement too. Perkins got away from the raw water cooled exhaust manifold design many years ago.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #18

here is our current home
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Manicooler refers to the type of exhaust manifold and material being used. One thing to look for is the source of cooling water for the exhaust manifold- Is it coolant or raw water cooled. In your case if raw water cooled it may be fine as it appears to be fresh water boat. But in salt water the raw water design has a finite life.

Your mechanic should know all about this arrangement called "manicooler" or in some cases "multi cooler." Lots on boat diesel about this arrangement too. Perkins got away from the raw water cooled exhaust manifold design many years ago.
The engines are closed loop with heat exchangers. They will be removed and rodded/boiled when we do the bottom work. Both exhust elbows are being replaced by the current owner. One actually failed during the engine seatrial but the mechanic caught it when it began to fail so no harm done. Just waiting on the replacement and then another seatrial. All temps and pressures are good at all RPM.s.
I will be there for the next run and they will be spot on before I sign the papers.

Any suggestions?

BinkleyBoat
Old 12-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinkleyBoat View Post
The engines are closed loop with heat exchangers.
BinkleyBoat
The question is how are the exhaust manifolds cooled? By your statement above do you mean the exhaust manifold is coolant cooled?

During the sea trial be sure the vessel can reach full rated (2400?) RPM by the book.

Good luck, you seem to have it together pretty well.