Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #1

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Gulfstar

Been looking at trawlers for some time (see other posts). Actually still not sure betqeen Downeast styles vs trawler. Regardless one of the issues I do not want to deal with it teak decks, very problamatic here in New England. I see a number of Gulfstars available and no desk teak. Is this a Tiawan trawler? Also looking for something that could be used for offshore use. Not blue water but certainly off shore, and what that means I don't think I am very sure of. Whatt makes someting offshore vs blue water vs coastal cruiser?

kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
FF
Guru

Whatt makes someting offshore vs blue water vs coastal cruiser?

EVERYTHING, Initial design , scantlings , construction , fuel tankage , internal volume for stores , even the bunks are different .

No "Queen" Lubber bunks where the folks will be rolling crashing into each other for the off watch.

What is the difference between a passenger car , and a tracked command car?

There both "cars" that carry folks ,but with really different design and build concepts.

The closest one can get in a boat that is NOT a Passagemsker that can stick its nose outside into ocean conditions is a sport fish.

And even they watch the weather very carefully.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #3

I was told Nordhaven is bluewater. I do not need blue water but want something with better sea keepin qualities than the 28 ft Rinker I am not in. It is not impossibe for me to see 4, 5, or even 6 ft chop in Buzzards Bay Mass. Four ft is tough in the Rinker if not dangerous. Will a trawler be better to handle these conditions? I am aware of the fact that the sport fishing boats seem to be better at these conditions than the express cruiser type I am now in. Will something like the Gulfstar be better, and is it as good if not better than a down east style hull. I know ther are a lot of factors and much has to do with the captain. Just looking for opinions and thoughts. It almost apperars teh sailboat is best for rough seas.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
To the best of my knowlege the Gulfstars were built in Florida.
You can read a review by David Pascoe, who known as a very critical surveyor, on this site Boat Review by David Pascoe - Gulfstar 43
good luck!
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
To zero in on the OPs question I think the Gulfstar boats will be considerably better in rough seas than the typical trawler and especially if equipped w paravanes.

A good rule of thumb is that if the hull out of the water looks more like an old fishing boat and less like wide planing hull it will probably be much better in the nasty.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Parra-dise
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MY
They were built in Florida. They are great boats. We had a 38 ft Motor Cruiser and just bought a 44 Motor yacht. The tanks are fiberglass so no rust issues. Name brand components. We would buy another one in a minute. We crossed the Gulf of Mexico in hours and have no issue running offshore within reason. Which model are you looking at. There was a big difference between the 36 and 43 ft and the later models. The first ones were little more than sailboats without the mast the latter are true trawler style.
Baypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #7

Probably looking at the 36. Still looking but see there are many available.
Ken
Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Panama City Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Parra-dise
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MY
Take a look at the 38 long range motor cruiser. Nice boat

Here is a link to our blog on the old boat

MV Mer Soleil
Baypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
[QUOTE=kpinnn;137573]I was told Nordhaven is bluewater. I do not need blue water but want something with better sea keepin qualities than the 28 ft Rinker I am not in.[QUOTE]

You don't need a Porsche or BMW to drive either but when you are driving one it is nice to know that they can do things that 80% of the other cars can't. So don't sell the Nordies and Selene's style of boats short.

Gulfstar, Morgan and Irwin were all built with in a few blocks of each other in St. Pete FL on Bryan Dariy Road. Yes out in the middle of farm land, no water in sight. It was said that one could buy a boat from all three of these builders in three separate year models and five or six of the 40 folks that built the boats worked on every one of them. It was a revolving door between the three builders.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #10

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
I’m into my second year of owing a 1975 MrkII 36 footer. Not so much worried about the blue water since the Chesapeake is large enough for us. I have been out in the bay with 3-4s (that is big in bay standards) she did fine with the wind 20-30 from port to stbd. Much more on the beam it gets very rolly. Board reaching is ok and running is fun! I think for my wife’s sake if we had to go more than a few miles in a larger beam sea I would tack. The MrkIIs have slightly larger rudders that the first models from what I understand. What year are you looking at?
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #11

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Welcome, we have a Gulfstar 1973 Mark 1 43 trawler. Had Sangria Nites almost two years now and have been working to refurbish her. Keeping updates posted in our photo gallery here.
The keel really helps keep it stable and it's a great solid boat.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
I have crawled around on a couple of them over the years, ( gulfstar trawlers )

I realy like the build quality , well built , simple set up, kinda. Could use better deck draining.

A friend took his 36 from Vancouver to the west side of Vancouver island for the summer 2012. Had a grand time. They have good legs ( distance ) and solid ride ( IMO ) for coastal cruising here on the west coast of Canada. Seems fine for off shore fishing / cruising (10 , 20 , 40 , 50 miles out ) with decent weather windows.

Be a name that would be on my list to watch for if I ever change my wooden boat ways.

My 2 cents for what thats worth.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Love the Gulfstars... Well made and plenty to choose from.

I own both a trawler and a downeast, both the same size. Very different creatures the Willard is full displacement type 6.5K cruise The Bruno is 12K cruise.

All the Gulfstars are twin engine (I think) and some may also have balsa cored hulls
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_Chat View Post
Welcome, we have a Gulfstar 1973 Mark 1 43 trawler...The keel really helps keep it stable and it's a great solid boat.
In Gulfstar36s avatar, the keel looks like a cross between a sailboat fin keel and long keel. Is that right? If so,no wonder they are so stable.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
FF
Guru

I do not need blue water but want something with better sea keepin qualities than the 28 ft Rinker I am not in. It is not impossibe for me to see 4, 5, or even 6 ft chop in Buzzards Bay Mass.

In this case SIZE does matter.the larger boat is the usually more comfortable in chop.

Round or rounded bottoms will give a better ride than a box bottom with hard chines , although the motion (roll) may be longer the check , reversal will be smoother and less cause for vomit.

Roll control,, flopper stoppers can be added to any boat with a strong enough hull to take the loading .

The sport fish answer is to just climb up on top of the chop, tho this takes a big boat and probably 1/2 to 1/4 MPG.

It is a dream to think a small boat(under 50ft) can be comfortable at all times.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #16

From what I understand the 70's models used the same hull molds as their motorsailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
In Gulfstar36s avatar, the keel looks like a cross between a sailboat fin keel and long keel. Is that right? If so,no wonder they are so stable.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #17
Guru

City: Trenton
Yes, and they have about as much interior room as a 70's sailboat.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Oooo....Mr. alormaria....nasty. That comment DID give me a chuckle though.
A number of years back I was interested in buying a GS and went on quite a few. Seem to recall my impression was pretty close to yours.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Guru

I have a friend with an older 43/44 GS sailboat and a previous dockmate had a similar size/age 43/44 GS trawler. Both are well built sturdy boats, well capable of off-shore travel, though IMO the trawler is not an ocean going vessel. Two issues with the trawler were high deck level required steps up from dock and in rough water the bow would get pretty wet leading to leakage around windows and forward hatches. Both leakage problems are probably boat specific rather than design issues, though these boats are getting on in years. By contrast the sailboat is in excellent condition and very seaworthy. Does race well - built like a sled!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #20

Must not have been on many sailboats .

My 36 has much more room than the 35 foot sloop I had in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Yes, and they have about as much interior room as a 70's sailboat.