Old 09-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #21

City: Palm Springs CA
Vessel Name: On The Rocks
Vessel Model: Gulf Star MKII
My 4-154s start in a snap, run great, don't drip or smoke. The parts i've had trouble finding are odd things like a thermostat housing. The regular stuff that breaks I've been able to find but usually have to be ordered from somewhere rather than being an off the shelf item. They move the boat as fast as it will go so I haven't felt a need for more power.

On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Thanks Al, this wasn't meant to be confrontational. I'm curious about your concerns with the 4-154 Mazda Perkins diesel engine.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #23
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Bill111- None taken, you have my PM on the matter.

"On The Rocks"- Thankful you are having this level of success with you engines. It appears that I asked for and received supportive posts for these engines.
Our engine is performing at a wonderful level outside of the leaking main seal.
As you can see in above Billy111's post he is asking specifically about the Mazda Perkins. This is an example of what drives my concern. Our Perkins engine was manufactured somewhere between 1960 and 1966. Following that Perkins allowed another manufacture to use the engine. I don't know the sequence of ownership as it includes Caterpillar, Mazea, Westenbeke, Massey Ferguson to name a few.

To what I can ascertain some of these if not all, made minor adjustments to the original 4-154 configuration by Perkins. You seemingly receive "Hummm" Aaaaaaa" and "I am not sure" when you make inquiry as to the adaptation of parts you locate to the ability of those parts to interchange.

Not the case with the 4-107/108/236/ four bangers. Perkins retained control over these engines or that seems the picture I am hearing.

I have no grief with the W58 Westenbeke engine (Mazda) that I purchased as a replacement when that time comes around. I am fairly sure that I can use my Perkins bell housing including the starter, and the Velvet drive reduction gear.

I'd hope that by indications, the Perkins heat exchanger will bolt up to the Mazda block. With those adaptations, I am confident that Westenbeke has current inventory somewhere on replacement parts for the remaining requirements.

Trust this will clear up the intent of my advise to potential Perkins 4-154 ownership. Parts may be available to the extent that you will have to established a relationship with sources now for then.

Seeking them when the trouble develops will lead to a level of frustrations. For that reason I have taken a "Belt and Suspender" attitude in purchasing a newer model of the 4-154 a bit different.

Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #24
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Billy111 Will compose a PO. Then if it comes out to what I want to say, I will post on the forum. Regards, Al
Al thanks for the PM I see your concerns considering Perkins allowed various engine builders over the years to make their own modifications. This could make finding the correct part a bit of a pain. I do have the original engine manual that came from Gulfstar for my Perkins 4-154's. Since mine haven't developed the rear oil drip perhaps I have one of the models that addressed this problem? My ER is spotless and it wasn't cleaned prior to us purchasing the boat. However I might have to sell the boat now due to medical issues. Anyone in Maryland's upper Chessy (the Middle River) want to look at the boat?
Thanks again,
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #25
Al
Guru

Bill111

You have raised an interesting question. In terms of what manufacture of the 4-154 you have. Our engine is of the original manufacture period of 1960-1966. The seal leak is an accepted weakness of this period it seems. I had asked a Westenbeke dealer in Seattle if Westerbeke had addressed the seal issue or had it been by a prior manufacture between 1966 and Westenbeke taking over the engine. He responded that he was aware of the seal issue and had no idea if Westenbeke or any had addressed this issue.
As you are indicating no failure with two engines, "On the Rocks" echo's the same and if I am not mistaken. "Flywright" also has 4-154's with no leak.
I am guessing here that the later engines had some sort of modification to address the subject OR- you folks are very fortunuate.

We are quite content with our boat even with this flaw. After adding the lead ballest (1000# now) the boat handles as close to perfect as we had expected.

Thanks for the offer and our prayers continue for improved health. (Down on our boat the other day and one came to mind as I was messing about the engine-did you feel it?)

Regards,
Al
Old 10-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
"Flywright" also has 4-154's with no leak.
I am guessing here that the later engines had some sort of modification to address the subject OR- you folks are very fortunuate.

I have twin 4.236 Perkins, not the 4.154.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #27
Al
Guru

Fortunate, I lust for a 4-236!!!
Al
Old 10-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I feel your pain. Sometimes I wish I had the 6.354 naturals.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #29

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
I just purchase 1972 for 20.000. I felt in love with that boat at firs time. Twin 80hp Lehman. Generator. Brought her from Daytona Beach to Green Cove Springs in day and a half. I love this boat.
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #30

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodestination View Post
I just purchase 1972 for 20.000. I felt in love with that boat at firs time. Twin 80hp Lehman. Generator. Brought her from Daytona Beach to Green Cove Springs in day and a half. I love this boat.
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #31

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
Congratulations on your new boat. I'm not familiar with your model but we love the one we have. I wish you many years of enjoyment.

Deano is offline   Reply With Quote