Bad Monkey Mark I or Mark II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capstan

Vessel Name
Bad Monkey
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
Wondering if anyone can clear up how a Mark I and Mark II differ.
We have just (Feb) bought a 73 hull #59 Gulf Star 43. In the paper work I have found shows an add when it was for sale earlier this century calling it a Mark I.
I also have an original flyer showing the same looking boat as a Mark II.
Before I thought the raised aft cabin defined the Mark II. But the original flyer shows a Mark II without this. (which is what we have!
We have been taking a lot of pictures as we refit and once I learn how to post pics I will if anyone is interested.

Signed Confused Capstan

Sorry, can't help you with your question. But, welcome to the forum! Hopefully one of our Gulf Star owners can help you.

Ted

Thanks for the welcome Ted and RTF.
This looks like a good site for information and sharing.
No "Bad Monkey" is my radio name out this way (Way before the book)+ my remote control IOM sailboat and now the GS 43's name!

Capstan

Welcome

Bad Monkey I am sure some how we can get to the bottom of it

In the 36 the Mark I was built up until 1973 then after a two year break they built the Mark II for the 75,76 model year. Differences that I have found: The Mark II had larger rudders much nicer interiors, and a fully raised aft deck without the step down. These are the biggest and easiest to spot. There where also other improvements.

Hi GS 36, I also thought it would be the raised deck but I have an add showing no raised deck and calling it a Mark II. Also a brochure page showing no raised aft deck but calling it a Mark II??? Having problems uploading. When I get to the browse page it wont let me put anything in?? Any Ideas?

Post the link

Hi GS 36, I also thought it would be the raised deck but I have an add showing no raised deck and calling it a Mark II. Also a brochure page showing no raised aft deck but calling it a Mark II??? Having problems uploading. When I get to the browse page it wont let me put anything in?? Any Ideas?

Trying to upload! Finally got Avatar to work so lets see what else?

Attachments

• GS 43 Mark II.pdf
    261 KB · Views: 91
  • GS 43 Plan.pdf
    703.6 KB · Views: 73
A 1973 is a Mark I for sure. I also think the asking price on the flier is a bit high.

Trying to upload! Finally got Avatar to work so lets see what else?

A 1973 is a Mark I for sure. I also think the asking price on the flier is a bit high.

I guess this was the original add for the Mark II but like I said it doesn't have a raised aft cabin.

Capstan

Attachments

• TrawlerAd.pdf
    282.3 KB · Views: 62
I think the early Mark IIs were almost identical to the Mark I. Not sure what year they changed the Mark II to a raised aft cabin. Probably in the late 70's. I agree with the others, our 1973 is a Mark I.

If you're on Facebook there's a pretty active Gulfstar group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/gulfstarboats/

It's a good mix of trawlers and sailboats, though most of the systems are going to be similar.

If memory serves me correctly, they made Mark I's in 1972 or 73. Don't think they made MarK II's until 74 or 75. Then in Mark III came out in 78 or 79. These also no longer had a sailboat hull. After that they were semi displacement hulls. We have a 75.

Mark IIs were made in 1975 and 1976 they had the full beam aft cabins with raised aft decks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom