44 MY. Stern tube help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tobyyost

Veteran Member
Hi All.

I will be pulling my boat out of the water for the first time for maintenance since I got it. I know I have many water blisters to work on from the original survey. One other thing I would like to fix is a leaky stern tube. I have never dealt with stern tubes. Does anyone know what would be involved to remove it and reseal it? There appears to be some sort of large locking nut on the inside of the boat. But beyond that I am not sure what all is involved. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Shaft logs!

OK, so after doing a bunch more reading last night, it looks like my terminology was off, these things are actually called shaft logs, not stern tubes. I even noticed a thread below on here where someone with a gulf star 43 was able to remove these shaft logs. But in my case I do not have access to them the way that the person with the 43 did. Mine just appear to go right through the wall in the engine room, from there they would be under the floor in the head, which is fiberglass, so I have no access. So I am getting very concerned about how difficult this may be to repair. Please anyone with any input on this, it would be greatly appreciated. I am sure I will see what is going on when I pull it out, but I would like to have some sort of idea what I am getting into so that I can plan accordingly before hauling the boat out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom