Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I think the A4-236's were used in tractors for decades as well as large generators and pumps.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
I think the A4-236's were used in tractors for decades as well as large generators and pumps.
Bill

And forklifts!!! They were used in the Clark and Caterpillar machines in diesel and gas/LP versions in the 80's.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Rocks View Post
My MKII has the ladder but no swim step.Attachment 29265 canvas on the rails really helps.
Perhaps your Gulfstar might have an advantage if following seas without the swim platform. Mine has a swim platform but I haven't had a chance to sea trial her yet. That's happening tomorrow.
Bill
Old 05-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
I believe the 62 hp engines are 4-154s. I have them, good engines but finding parts is a bear. I don't know why as other perkins (4-108 & 4-236) seem to have good parts availability. Maybe they just didn't make many of the 4-154s?
Well it turns out I learn something new everyday! My 36 Mark II manufactured and titled as a 1976 also has the 4-154 engines or the 62 hp version Perkins mains. The sea trial was yesterday and everything with the exception of the generator passed with flying colors for an almost 40 year old boat. Maximum speed with only 50 gallons of diesel not (250) was 9knots at 3200 rpms. That's 200 off the 3000 rpms they are rated for. We had no smoke, temperatures were good as we measured them at various points on both engines with a thermal heat gun. They started after 4 years of sitting on the 1st crank. I did have the impellers, oil, oil filters and fuel filters replaced prior to launch for sea trial. I installed 2 new 4D batteries and a new generator battery. In addition I had the tank professionally cleaned and the old diesel fuel evacuated. It appears over the last 2 years of a 4 year lay up the owners had installed 2 new starters, 2 alternator rebuilds, new raw water pumps installed as well as the impellers. How would I know this? The spares were left hidden in a compartment on the boat and I found the receipts for the work. I actually have the original factory delivery and acceptance sheet as well as the warranty information for the engines as well as every sub system on the vessel. It's pretty cool to read the literature as well as the original Perkins manual and warranty information.
New canvas and window covers were made over this past winter, that and a dingy crane are part of the sale.
The Westerbeke generator appears to have a fuel or governor issue and this will be repaired prior to me purchasing the vessel. Closing will be no later than Saturday of the upcoming week.
I feel I'm practically stealing the boat for what I offered and what was accepted.
Bill
Old 06-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
I believe the 62 hp engines are 4-154s. I have them, good engines but finding parts is a bear. I don't know why as other perkins (4-108 & 4-236) seem to have good parts availability. Maybe they just didn't make many of the 4-154s?
Trans Atlantic Diesel carries parts for the 4-154 Mazda Perkins motor. These are quite popular in Australia in pickup trucks. I originally thought my boat had 4-236m's but not so. I'm quite happy with the performance of the 4.154M's.
Bill
Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #26
Guru

I purcahsed the 36 Gulfstar Mark II complete with the 4-154 engines. The generator turned out to have a bad oil pressure sender unit. It also runs great. The generator is a newer model installed 6 to 8 years ago. So far so good I'm having the marina do some work on her. It should be re-splashed this coming weekend.
Bill
Old 07-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #27

City: Jupiter, FL
Vessel Name: JOHN D. MACDONALD
Vessel Model: FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
Sounds like you have a good boat there Billy. Those Perkins 4-154 engines are a good match for that hull. Show us some pics when you get her in the water!

Billyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote