Yet another newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetmech59

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pert'Near
Vessel Make
hershine 37
Looking to purchase our first trawler. I have grown to like to looks and lines of the sundowner tug. She is powered by a 160 hp yanmar. any insight on this design and power plant would be helpful. wondering what kind of performance I could expect with this combination. Displacement hull, 10,000 lbs

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. The Sundowner Tug came in several models and a three or four lengths. Perhaps a little more information on the boat you are looking at would be helpful.

Marty

Thanks Marty she is a 30 footer. A sedan. I was wondering if it maybe over power with the 160 yanmar since many I have look at were much smaller in hp most the ford lehman. I copied and the eng specs. I do have a survey in the works and will hopefully learn much more at that time. Here are the eng specs Engines
Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 2002
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1200
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine(s) Total Power: 160 HP
Any thought opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks Laurence

Laurence

I am sure others with more knowledge will chime in. But a 160 hp seems a little large for a 30 foot, 10,000 lb boat. Bay Pelican has a 135 hp Lehman, and my old Willard 30 ft sedan had a 42 hp Westerbeke.

Don't know if the larger engine will have much of an effect, other than a slight over use of fuel.

Marty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom