Trolling for a fast trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DAFF

I've been looking for it seems forever for the perfect starter big boat. While my budget is not one of great proportions it does allow me to have some selection.

I have narrowed my search to two possible boats. They are both Bayliners one a 3270 and the other a 3217. Priced on the lower end of the spectrum but meet my needs and the floor plan works for the family. I have yet to find a great lakes boat which can compare to this wrt floor plan and affordability. If there is a hidden gem i'm missing or overlooked please let me know.

Hoping to have one sitting in the yard in a few weeks the possibility of reality has me excited to say the least. I have been a Supra inboard boat owner my whole life. The simplicity of the drive line and boat is what I love the most and has me heading towards the trawler.

Things seem to be flowing in my favor. I have been wanting a diesel powered boat but the price really goes up and the boats are mostly junk till you get to the 40k mark. Came across a nice pair of 427 Grey Marine diesels with trans which I will more than likely purchase before the boat and have them refitted in the new one in time.

Love the site.....:thumb:

Welcome and good luck with your search.

Hey liners are just fine, I've had several of them over the years and they do just great.

There is absolutely no reason to repower one was some funky old 671 engines when they came with perfectly good HINO Diesel engines that have a long service life and are extremely reliable.

The only problem with the local diesels is the price. Usually adding almost 15k to a similar gasser model which makes the boat out of reach. I'm a cash guy who will not buy with a loan and has waited before for the right opportunity.

My thought is to buy the boat, enjoy it while scrounging up the parts for the conversion and sell the running gasser drive line to recoup most of the costs. Just have to decide on which 32xx.....

Welcome aboard,

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Those are awesome diesels for a dispacement type trawler but their bulk and weight would be too much for the 32' Bayliner and if they are naturals will not give very good performance. Four cylinder B-series Cummins would be a better fit.

Possibly the most economical thing you could do would be to stick with gas power and closed loop cooling. Good longevity and low entry cost. Work hard on the boat building sweat equity then trade up to diesel power. That way you make to small jumps instead of one big one. Small gas boat to bigger gas boat then bigger gas boat to diesel boat.

Any boat you modify too far out of the norm you might end up keeping a very long time. Not everyone will have the same appreciation or understanding of what you have done.

I've been looking for it seems forever for the perfect starter big boat. While my budget is not one of great proportions it does allow me to have some selection.

I have narrowed my search to two possible boats. They are both Bayliners one a 3270 and the other a 3217. Priced on the lower end of the spectrum but meet my needs and the floor plan works for the family. I have yet to find a great lakes boat which can compare to this wrt floor plan and affordability. If there is a hidden gem i'm missing or overlooked please let me know.

Hoping to have one sitting in the yard in a few weeks the possibility of reality has me excited to say the least. I have been a Supra inboard boat owner my whole life. The simplicity of the drive line and boat is what I love the most and has me heading towards the trawler.

Things seem to be flowing in my favor. I have been wanting a diesel powered boat but the price really goes up and the boats are mostly junk till you get to the 40k mark. Came across a nice pair of 427 Grey Marine diesels with trans which I will more than likely purchase before the boat and have them refitted in the new one in time.

Love the site.....:thumb:

Had a 6-71 Grey Marine in one of my charter boats. Great motor and did a really good job. The difference between that boat and your boat though was my boat was 42' and there was only one engine in it. The engine weighs 2,200 pounds and is very tall compared to most diesels. Doubt you would be able to install them and close the engine hatch. From pics on the web, the engines look to be in the very stern of the 3270. With transmissions you're likely more than doubling the weight of what exists. This could be very dangerous from a trim standpoint. This is a very bad idea that is unlikely to work. I think if you measure the engines, and then the space on the bayliner, you will see that they won't fit anyway.

Ted

Some very good points have been brought forward towards the build. Instead of one boat and pouring all my efforts into it I like the ideas of 3 baby steps perhaps 4 working towards the boat of my dreams.

I have always been able to create positive cash flow from my personal purchases. Sometimes you need to wait for the right opportunity but the selection is enless.

The majority of my vehicles are all diesels. I do have a few cars but my love is with the 5.9 12 valve Cummins. Over the years I have logged 700 000km on them and they sound better with age.

Wrt weights and size of the re power, the knowledge of others has steered me in a new more thought out direction.

There's really is no such thing as a fast trawler.

There are a lot of boats that look like trawlers and are faster than trawlers.

Depends on what you mean by fast. Most all trawlers are semi-displacement and will go over hull speed a few knots.

Is a 20 knot Grand Banks or Nordic Tug a trawler? Most people will say yes. I will even agree to that but a lighter boat will not be a trawler. It's all just opinion though as many people w cruisers that have no trawler feature at all call thier boats a trawler.

There's a lot in the archives about this. Several long threads as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom