Old 11-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #1

City: Nerstrand, MN
Vessel Name: Thunder
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Trawler River Rat

Just took possession of 2006 Mainship 34 T in the Midwest. Plan to Absorb lots of wisdom before spring splash in. Big jump from 25 Crownline CC. Let the adventure begin!
Scrivma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum. Lake Michigan or Superior?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome aboard TF.
Many current & prior MS owners here.
I have a fair amount of MS info on my Bacchus website, BOM, part pics w source, custom projects I've completed, various manuals, etc in useful links section.
Happy to help where I can.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

Ted,
Thx for the greeting. Superior thus far. Have spent time along the MN North Shore, son runs Split Rock Lighthouse now. Also couple week long adventures in the Apostles Islands, very cool. Above with the 25ft Crownline. Now will be slipping trawler on the Mississippi so tougher to get to the Great Lakes, by long river trip or spendy transport.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #6

Don, many thanks for the welcome. Checked out your site, nicely done- our teak outside decking is needing re-caulk, so found your DIY project helpful. Looking for a manual for the 2006 34T, what year is the 34TH manual you have posted and besides the obvious FB component, assume very close ? I have a single Yanmar 370hp. Any ideas where to find actual manual for 2006 34T?
Thx,
Old 11-28-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivma1 View Post
Ted,
Thx for the greeting. Superior thus far. Have spent time along the MN North Shore, son runs Split Rock Lighthouse now. Also couple week long adventures in the Apostles Islands, very cool. Above with the 25ft Crownline. Now will be slipping trawler on the Mississippi so tougher to get to the Great Lakes, by long river trip or spendy transport.
Superior is wonderful for cruising. Spent 6 weeks there in 2017 from Isle Royale down the Minnesota coast, South shore, and the Keweenaw peninsula. Can't wait to go back.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I "cut my teeth" on Lake Superior, out of Duluth. Now I am on Lake Michigan, Green Bay actually. Have often considered the Mississippi or the St. Croix near Hudson, WI. I am concerned that my 36 Albin with a single F.L. 120 would occasionally have issues fighting the current on the Mississippi.

I will do the Loop after the locks reopen next year but going with the current and against it are two different things.

We must have T.F. members on the Mississippi, speak up guys..

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
Where in MS. are you docking.
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Don, many thanks for the welcome. Checked out your site, nicely done- our teak outside decking is needing re-caulk, so found your DIY project helpful. Looking for a manual for the 2006 34T, what year is the 34TH manual you have posted and besides the obvious FB component, assume very close ? I have a single Yanmar 370hp. Any ideas where to find actual manual for 2006 34T?
Thx,
Mark
I have posted links to the manuals I'm aware of in the Useful Links section but don't see the late model 34T. I can't believe my '08 34 HT is much different and I don't think a year or so makes much difference.
It's too bad that Marlow had a website with a lot of legacy MS doc / Manual links but they pulled the site down. I contacted them to ask if the info could be made available for others (myself) to post / host but they wouldn't even respond to the inquiry.
IMO the MS manuals are slightly better than useless. The info is so general it's not of much use. No real elec schematics only general arrangement type dwgs that show you where stuff is but not how it's wired. Some other model / yrs had more but I never found anything for the 34T's.

There are a lot of late model yr 34T owners around and might be worth a post to see if any have a PDF copy. If you locate any let me know - happy to help you get it posted in the TF Library Function and/or add it to the Bacchus site.
The post re: 34 BOM is worth looking through as it is searchable and many - but not all - of the parts listed have photos w/ source and part # info. Generally the BOM items w/ a Blue highlighted # have part photos - they are not live linked but the part pics are in numerical order so easy to find.

The best approach I've found is to search for the various component manuals - Yanmar engines, ZF TRanny, gennies, etc and their manuals are much more useful. I have posted those that aren't a copyright issue... take a look at the Library if you haven't already.
I do have a few manuals I couldn't post that I have shared via email. Let me know if ou are looking for something specific and I'll see if I have it.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #11

Actually on the Mississippi River, near the confluence with the St Croix River, at Prescott WI, sorry for confusion.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #12

Many thanks Don, very logical explanations also re specific equipment based approach!
Old 11-29-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
I "cut my teeth" on Lake Superior, out of Duluth. Now I am on Lake Michigan, Green Bay actually. Have often considered the Mississippi or the St. Croix near Hudson, WI. I am concerned that my 36 Albin with a single F.L. 120 would occasionally have issues fighting the current on the Mississippi.
Not much current on the Mississippi above St Louis, as it's dammed. I wouldn't be concerned.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Helsinki
Vessel Name: Manaatti
Vessel Model: Nauticat 44 2006
Wellcome aboard, enjoy the ride!
Happy Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #15

Been cruising the Mississippi for last 15 years between Minneapolis and Iowa border. Yes, locks and dams about 10-15 miles. Would have to say at times and in some areas current is an issue, especially during high water like we had all last summer, not just springtime. Gets challenging pulling into docks near main channel and sand beaches between other boats. Locks themselves usual slower water via dam affect. My opinion anyway so far via 25 ft cabin cruiser with single 350 IO.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:33 PM   #16

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
We spent 3 years at Miss Croix yacht harbor before moving to Hawaii. Miss the beach at Kinni and San Pedro cafe in Hudson.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
We spent 3 years at Miss Croix yacht harbor before moving to Hawaii. Miss the beach at Kinni and San Pedro cafe in Hudson.
Jim,
Coincidentally, we are getting a rental slip at Miss Croix for 2020, have checked it out before, get pumped out there a lo as cheap, and marina seemed laid back, personable, reasonable cost and easy maneuvering. Will have to try San Pedro. Enjoy Hawaii, we like Kauai immensely, used to go for work couple weeks every winter, but only tourist boating. Thanks for the greeting!
Old 12-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #18

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Quote:
Jim,
Coincidentally, we are getting a rental slip at Miss Croix for 2020, have checked it out before, get pumped out there a lo as cheap, and marina seemed laid back, personable, reasonable cost and easy maneuvering. Will have to try San Pedro. Enjoy Hawaii, we like Kauai immensely, used to go for work couple weeks every winter, but only tourist boating. Thanks for the greeting!

Our good friends are in the covered slips along the bank. “School’s out”. Marina is quiet unless the band is playing at the roadhouse!
We moved back from Hi and are now in the SFO bay.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:38 AM   #19
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Welcome! We moved up from a 25' trailer-kept Regal CC to our 44 foot Tollycraft earlier this year. We used the Regal extensively to explore the north east and took it on cruising vacations as long as 17 days straight in areas like 1000 Islands, Lake Ontario, Rideau Canal, Lake Champlain, Hudson River, Chesapeake Bay, the New England Coast and New England Lakes. We sometimes miss the speed of the Regal, but the comfort of the bigger boat is tremendous and it's been great fun sharing our adventures with friends that use the guest quarters.

I highly recommend Nigel Calder and Peggy Hall books for getting to know your boat before you start using it.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #20

City: Lake City, Mn
Vessel Name: DULCE
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Welcome

Welcome to the group. You’re going to enjoy your new boat!

I brought my boat up from Green Turtle Bay, Ky to where we slip at lake City, Mn. 1,000 mile trip. Lot of fun in a trawler. If you get up that way give us a shout! Enjoy!
fsarcone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainship, midwest