Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
This is not to take away from those like Larry that have really done it. Skill, judgement, and perseverance are needed for sure.
Yes, it is captains like Larry that make the voyages, live the adventures.

The boat is secondary to their skills. These guys could do it in any boat.

The main point is if you can come up with the time, and have the inclination, take the leap and have the adventure.

If you wait untill you can afford a 1/2 million dollar boat AND have the time it may never happen.

I learned a long time ago that people that can afford expensive things for the most part can afford them because they work their butts off, and have little time for doing anything else except making money.

The adventure isnt about money, or having the nicest boat, its about having the time to live the adventure, and the gusto to go for it.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Jumped In

I Finally did it !!!

Ok lots of thinks to do but I got it

46' Marine Trader Kelly Trawler
Attached Thumbnails
Steppin Stone IV Port.jpg   Salon Forward.jpg   image[5].jpg  
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Listen to all but ignore some too. You're looking for your boat, not the one that others might choose or prefer. So start your list, start looking online at lots of boats and in person when you can. Ultimately you'll develop a list of requirements and then you can narrow in. But don't pinpoint the boat prior to the requirements definition. Match boat to requirements, not the other way around.

Look at all your potential uses, accommodations you need, speed, range, operating cost. Don't fall victim to words like displacement or planing or semi-displacement. Don't fall victim to words like trawler or cruiser or expedition or coastal. One can argue over what fits each of those for days. But what speeds you're happy with, what range, what type water it should be able to handle can be a more concrete definition.

And somewhere along the way, budget comes in. I saw sailboats mentioned but ultimately the reason was cost of boat and cost of fuel. You haven't even said cost is a factor to you. Only you know whether it is or at what point. I'd examine tons of boats through yachtworld just to get a feel for what various ones will do.

And get on boats. Charter. See how they feel, what you like and don't like about one. In many ways we found decision making to be more an elimination than a choosing for a bit. Once you know your requirements that becomes easy.

Just a simple list of things we started defining early:

Size
Air clearance-bridges, etc.
Draft
Budget, both initial and annual
Cabins, heads
Galley up or down, galley size
Bridge or not
Bow seating or not
Helms, lower, upper or both
Single or twin engines
Equipment such as generators, watermakers, stabilizers
How long must we be able to sustain on it without provisioning
Speed
Dinghy/Tender space
Head room
Type water conditions it will handle
Ease of docking, anchoring
Speed at WOT, cruise, economic cruise
Range at various speeds
Electronics, both navigational and comfort

These definitions are different for everyone. Now being an organized type couple we made spreadsheets early with requirements on the left and various boats across the top and listed those that seemed to come close. Others that didn't meet one of our basic requirements, we'd make a note.

And do not let someone else tell you what you should want. I'll give you the simplest of examples. Nordhavn is an excellent boat. But if you want to be able to cruise at least 18-20 knots, then they aren't for you. Many here cruise the ICW most of the time, but if you want to be able to get to the outside and want to cross to Bermuda, then your requirements differ.

Then ultimately, there is no perfect boat. You'll decide then what compromises you can make. Which ones don't really bother you. Look at some of the boats in signatures here and think, what do I like about it for me, what don't I like for me. There are thousands of great boats. The objective is finding the one right for you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
I Finally did it !!!

Congratulations.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #25
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

You can buy a sailboat for under $50,000 and do bluewater cruising safely. You can't do that with a trawler. The starting price for that kind of boat is about three times more.

David
The evidence proves otherwise.
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
I Finally did it !!!

Congrats! That's a nice looking boat. Show us more!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:25 AM   #27
Guru

More Pics

Going to try to add a few more pics here
Attached Thumbnails
image[1].jpg   image[3].jpg   image[15].jpg   2014-03-23 21.59.44-2.jpg   2014-03-23 09.05.06.jpg  

2014-03-23 09.07.49.jpg   2014-03-23 09.10.28.jpg   2014-03-23 09.13.01.jpg   2014-03-23 13.40.53.jpg   2014-03-23 14.45.42.jpg  

Old 03-25-2014, 05:01 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
What a lovely hole in the ocean to be in - congrats..!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #29
Guru

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
What a lovely hole in the ocean to be in - congrats..!
Really excited about about it

Thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #30
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Congrats! Looks like she is at Marina Jack?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #31
Guru

Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Congrats! Looks like she is at Marina Jack?
Yes it is and going to stay at Jacks
by the way

Henry Schuyler Thibodaux is my great grand father 7th I think it is
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #32
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post

The evidence proves otherwise.
What evidence?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #33
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Yes it is and going to stay at Jacks
by the way

Henry Schuyler Thibodaux is my great grand father 7th I think it is
Interesting, the 4th Governor of Louisiana. His tomb is just off the road between Thibodaux and Houma where I keep my boat.
We have stayed at Marina Jack several times, it is one of our favorite marinas, great restaurants and shops nearby.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #34
Guru

Relatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Interesting, the 4th Governor of Louisiana. His tomb is just off the road between Thibodaux and Houma where I keep my boat.
We have stayed at Marina Jack several times, it is one of our favorite marinas, great restaurants and shops nearby.
I have relatives all through out your area

well come visit us at Jacks

I have plenty of work to do on my new boat
Old 03-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #35
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Jacks is a hangout for us too. Admiral likes to dance. We're probably going to transfer ohr USPS Membership to Sarasota...they also use Jacks for a hangout. Nice boat. Congrats.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #36
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Quote:
Going to try to add a few more pics here
Nice! Congrats
Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #37
Guru

neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Jacks is a hangout for us too. Admiral likes to dance. We're probably going to transfer ohr USPS Membership to Sarasota...they also use Jacks for a hangout. Nice boat. Congrats.
great looking forward to meeting you G dock
Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #38

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Steppin' Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I learned a long time ago that people that can afford expensive things for the most part can afford them because they work their butts off, and have little time for doing anything else except making money.

The adventure isnt about money, or having the nicest boat, its about having the time to live the adventure, and the gusto to go for it.
Kevin,

Thank you for what you said above!!! I could not agree with you more!! I mean... really... what's the point? If you're not going to enjoy it, or share it with those less fortunate, then why make it? I just don't get!

Cheers,
Pamela
siestakeywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #39
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Nice boat siesta...E N J O Y!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakeywife View Post
Kevin,

Thank you for what you said above!!! I could not agree with you more!! I mean... really... what's the point? If you're not going to enjoy it, or share it with those less fortunate, then why make it? I just don't get!

Cheers,
Pamela
Wifey B: Just happy to see another wife speak up...Always room for more. Right, Ann?

Love Jack's...cool place to be. And your point about working. Sometimes it's like a disease to pursue some type life and not ever break free. I mean I do believe it's why so much unhappiness and divorces that couples don't have enough time together. I knew I always came before my hubby's work in his mind. And when we could stop, we did. But always we made time to enjoy life together.

I had a friend who was worried about her marriage and I said, "F... you're not married. You just have kids together and share a house. I don't even think you know each other anymore. You get home at 6 and eat with the kids. He drives through and gets home at 8:30 when you've helping the kids get ready for bed. He plops down on the sofa. Then he pulls his laptop out and starts working and doesn't even know you've gone to bed. You're asleep when he gets there. Morning you're out of bed first, feeding the kids. He showers, dresses, says goodbye on the way out." Worse, the father really didn't know his kids or them know him.

Teacher: Tell me about your father.
Son: He works a lot.

Freaking sums it up.

We often judge people on the outward signs. Baseball player on batting average. Football on yards gained. People on money made, size of house, type car.

One last lecture point if I can figure out how to say this plus getting hubby's permission. Ok. Think about this one. Think about what you teach your kids is important. First time I ever remember crying was when my hubby told me the first time about his childhood. I mean most thought he had everything but what he was taught was brains, grades, money, job...that was what mattered. Emotions and feelings, not. They were creating a lean mean money making machine. Just as cruel as what we think of as abuse. Oh and they one at home for him was the maid. They were busy running their businesses. Fortunately, he realized it was wrong and he's not like that. He didn't go for the job they wanted him to. And he's nothing like them. But he had no feelings for them.

Life is about living and being happy and the people you love. It's not what you can give them. It's giving of yourself. Spend time with the man or woman you love. You don't freaking know if there's a tomorrow. And if you have money, don't just give to the charity. Go do something. There are people who just need to know you care. Orphanages, nursing homes, homeless shelters. Families having hard times. Orphanages have given way to foster care, but every Christmas morning since we were married has been at one. We don't drive back to NC to see friends but we do to see the kids there several times a year. My hubby plays basketball with them, I play dolls or help the older ones with makeup. But mostly we try to let them know they're important and wonderful and we're so happy they're in our lives.

Sorry for taking this off track but what Pamela and Kevin said really hit me as I fly across the country. That person beside you right now. They might not be there tomorrow. Treat every day of your life as if it's the last. Peace and love to all.