Old 04-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

City: Sodus Bay, NY
Trawler Newbies

Hello All,
My wife and I are 66 year old sailors with 35+ years of boating experience. We are planning on navigating the ICW from Upstate NY to the Florida Keys in the Fall of 2018. From various conversations we have deduced that we won't be doing much sailing and that we could enjoy more comfort and variety of cruising destinations with a trawler.
Our Tartan 3400 is paid for and we would like to leave her on the hard for this excursion. This does somewhat limit the funds available for another vessel. I would prefer to stay in the $250K range. I also don't want a project so I have been confining my search to boats <15 years vintage in the 34-42 ft length. Am I being unrealistic? I know this prices me out of the Krogen or Nordic Tug category.
Any thoughts on boats that might work for us would be greatly appreciated. Also, is a lower steering station a "must have"?
wdavis 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would need to have much more info on your wants and needs. There are many likely trawlers that would fit into your broad category. A couple of recommendations would be to go to a TrawlerFest or AGLCA event and look at the trawlers there to see what you like. Powerboat Guide is a pretty good resource to start with. You can look at the layouts and specifications and maybe rule out some boats or find some that you want to look at. You can buy it in hardcopy or download it. Good luck.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum! It doesn't take much of a boat to do that trip. Other than the NJ coast, the rest of it can be done inside. Lots to choose from with that budget. There is quite a size difference in trawlers between 34 and 42. More information about requirements would be helpful.

Living room aboard for 6 months?
Do you expect guests?
Speed requirements?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. As has already been mentioned, plenty around for the age and price.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #5

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Considering you are coming from a 34" sailboat, almost anything 32' and up will seem palatial. Island Gypsy and Mainship make nice smaller trawlers well in your price range for a nice one, I'm sure there are others. Try to find a newer one without wood framed windows and no teak decks. Getting into the +42' narrows your search window for your price range and of course dockage and maintenance gets higher. I don't blame you for hanging on to your sailboat and I think finding a good cheaper boat until you decide whether you will stay with a trawler or not will be a smart way to go.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
Guru

City: Boston Area
what is your plan after this trip ? I assume that if you find you prefer sailing, you'll sell your trawler and go back to your sailboat. However, if you decide to switch to trawlering permanently, I presume you'd sell your sailboat and newly aquired trawler and re enter the boat market with more knowledge and a bigger budget. If that's the case, your first trawlwer doesn't have to be perfect as it is not your "forever boat". There is another very lengthy thread dealing with the pros and cons of driving from the cabin or the bridge. I think a big factor is what you do in bad weather. If you simply have to keep on your schedule, you'll like the protected help....if you can travel in good weather only, the lower helm is less critical.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Here are 1,297 to start your looking.

2000 (Power) Boats For Sale

I think you'll see some incredible boats that fit your parameters.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #8

City: Deltaville, VA
Vessel Name: Cork
Vessel Model: Halvorsen GC32
I have left you a private message with my contact information. I have a suggestion for you that might work.
Bill
Bill Ranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #9

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Berto
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
There are plenty of Grand Banks 42 Classics out there. I am in the process of closing on one as we speak for just that purpose along with cruising on the Chesapeake Bay.
RB58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #10
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
And don't get too hung up on "trawlers". There are lots of "motoryachts" out there that would easily fit your budget and offer tremendous value. A good Carver 440/445 could be had for $150k or even less. The offer huge accommodations as well as Cummins or Cat Power. They offer trawler economy at trawler speeds and can get up and go if you have the need. Another option would be Hatteras. The Hatteras 53 could be had in your price range although a significantly bigger boat with bigger operating costs and bigger Detroit power. They can still get you a gallon a mile a trawler speeds and truly offer amazing space. Sea Ray also has offerings in the price Range....Meridian as well.

Older Defever 44 ACMYs would fit your budget and also fit the "trawler" moniker. I have even seen newer ones in that Price range....even the 49 with cockpits I have seen in the mid 200s. None currently I don't think. The Defever 49 Raised Pilothouse would be another. Take a look at the link below. My search went to 350k but you can see that there are MANY boats to be had below 250k. There is even a newer 44 that is stabilized for 225k. That Defever 44/49 is a great boat and HUGE living space as well as a nice engine space.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1

I am not pushing any of these. Just saying there are options other than "trawlers" that would fulfill your requirements for a bargain of a price.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
And don't get too hung up on "trawlers". There are lots of "motoryachts" out there that would easily fit your budget and offer tremendous value.... They offer trawler economy at trawler speeds and can get up and go if you have the need.
I agree, keep your options wide. I was interested in a Sealine 37(a Princess brand)until I figured out the engines. Definitely include trawlers in your search, most are great comfortable cruising boats, but keep an open mind.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
a Sealine 37(a Princess brand)
What?

I never knew that. Are you sure? I knew them as a British Brand but not part of Princess, then as a Brunswick brand, then sold to Hanse and moved to Germany in 2013.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #13

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate you taking the time. You have raised some great questions.The answer is that we are pretty flexible.
We prefer practical over tradition. We want to travel and explore, not apply another coat of varnish.
Two engines would be nice, not critical.
Fuel efficiency, again nice but not necessary. We are sailors, 10 knots will be a white knuckle ride for us.
A second cabin, as long as there is a space to park a couple of extra bodies, not a deal breaker. A second head in a boat this size seems to be a huge waste of space.
We would like a safe, reliable vessel for inland passage.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:10 AM   #14
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavis 76 View Post
A second head in a boat this size seems to be a huge waste of space.
We would like a safe, reliable vessel for inland passage.
I always thought a second head is a huge waste of space....until you have a second head. It is a luxury and a convenience. But we overlook the fact that it is a redundant system. Point being...occasionally a head does not work. If you have two...now you have a backup
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:39 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I always thought a second head is a huge waste of space....until you have a second head. It is a luxury and a convenience. But we overlook the fact that it is a redundant system. Point being...occasionally a head does not work. If you have two...now you have a backup
The first time you have a problem with one head, you'll find yourself longing for a second.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #16
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
There will be plenty of good boats to fit your budget. I think this from post #2 is a good suggestion:
"A couple of recommendations would be to go to a TrawlerFest or AGLCA event and look at the trawlers there to see what you like."

It will also be a chance to meet lots of folks who are doing the trip or will be, you may be seeing more of them in 2018
Old 04-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #17
Guru

City: Trenton
The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #18

Al,
As a guy who started out taking a 25 foot boat across Lake Ontario, I can say, truer words were never spoken.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:30 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome to TF and good luck w your search and adventure.
If you are in MY you will likely do some locking on your trip and after...Lk Ont...Lk Champlain...NY and Canadian canals are some great cruising areas.
A lower station and helm Door will make locking and docking much easier than only a footbridge.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #20
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Don't wait till 2018. Do it now, as soon as you get a boat. Sometmes too much planning is well, too much planning.

Welcome aboard!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote