Trawler Newbies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wdavis 76

Hello All,
My wife and I are 66 year old sailors with 35+ years of boating experience. We are planning on navigating the ICW from Upstate NY to the Florida Keys in the Fall of 2018. From various conversations we have deduced that we won't be doing much sailing and that we could enjoy more comfort and variety of cruising destinations with a trawler.
Our Tartan 3400 is paid for and we would like to leave her on the hard for this excursion. This does somewhat limit the funds available for another vessel. I would prefer to stay in the $250K range. I also don't want a project so I have been confining my search to boats <15 years vintage in the 34-42 ft length. Am I being unrealistic? I know this prices me out of the Krogen or Nordic Tug category.
Any thoughts on boats that might work for us would be greatly appreciated. Also, is a lower steering station a "must have"?

I would need to have much more info on your wants and needs. There are many likely trawlers that would fit into your broad category. A couple of recommendations would be to go to a TrawlerFest or AGLCA event and look at the trawlers there to see what you like. Powerboat Guide is a pretty good resource to start with. You can look at the layouts and specifications and maybe rule out some boats or find some that you want to look at. You can buy it in hardcopy or download it. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum! It doesn't take much of a boat to do that trip. Other than the NJ coast, the rest of it can be done inside. Lots to choose from with that budget. There is quite a size difference in trawlers between 34 and 42. More information about requirements would be helpful.

Living room aboard for 6 months?
Do you expect guests?
Speed requirements?

Ted

Considering you are coming from a 34" sailboat, almost anything 32' and up will seem palatial. Island Gypsy and Mainship make nice smaller trawlers well in your price range for a nice one, I'm sure there are others. Try to find a newer one without wood framed windows and no teak decks. Getting into the +42' narrows your search window for your price range and of course dockage and maintenance gets higher. I don't blame you for hanging on to your sailboat and I think finding a good cheaper boat until you decide whether you will stay with a trawler or not will be a smart way to go.

Kevin

what is your plan after this trip ? I assume that if you find you prefer sailing, you'll sell your trawler and go back to your sailboat. However, if you decide to switch to trawlering permanently, I presume you'd sell your sailboat and newly aquired trawler and re enter the boat market with more knowledge and a bigger budget. If that's the case, your first trawlwer doesn't have to be perfect as it is not your "forever boat". There is another very lengthy thread dealing with the pros and cons of driving from the cabin or the bridge. I think a big factor is what you do in bad weather. If you simply have to keep on your schedule, you'll like the protected help....if you can travel in good weather only, the lower helm is less critical.

I have left you a private message with my contact information. I have a suggestion for you that might work.
Bill

There are plenty of Grand Banks 42 Classics out there. I am in the process of closing on one as we speak for just that purpose along with cruising on the Chesapeake Bay.

And don't get too hung up on "trawlers". There are lots of "motoryachts" out there that would easily fit your budget and offer tremendous value. A good Carver 440/445 could be had for $150k or even less. The offer huge accommodations as well as Cummins or Cat Power. They offer trawler economy at trawler speeds and can get up and go if you have the need. Another option would be Hatteras. The Hatteras 53 could be had in your price range although a significantly bigger boat with bigger operating costs and bigger Detroit power. They can still get you a gallon a mile a trawler speeds and truly offer amazing space. Sea Ray also has offerings in the price Range....Meridian as well.

Older Defever 44 ACMYs would fit your budget and also fit the "trawler" moniker. I have even seen newer ones in that Price range....even the 49 with cockpits I have seen in the mid 200s. None currently I don't think. The Defever 49 Raised Pilothouse would be another. Take a look at the link below. My search went to 350k but you can see that there are MANY boats to be had below 250k. There is even a newer 44 that is stabilized for 225k. That Defever 44/49 is a great boat and HUGE living space as well as a nice engine space.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...=&rid=&cint=100&pbsint=&boatsAddedSelected=-1

I am not pushing any of these. Just saying there are options other than "trawlers" that would fulfill your requirements for a bargain of a price.

Last edited:
And don't get too hung up on "trawlers". There are lots of "motoryachts" out there that would easily fit your budget and offer tremendous value.... They offer trawler economy at trawler speeds and can get up and go if you have the need.
:thumb:I agree, keep your options wide. I was interested in a Sealine 37(a Princess brand)until I figured out the engines. Definitely include trawlers in your search, most are great comfortable cruising boats, but keep an open mind.

a Sealine 37(a Princess brand)

What?

I never knew that. Are you sure? I knew them as a British Brand but not part of Princess, then as a Brunswick brand, then sold to Hanse and moved to Germany in 2013.

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate you taking the time. You have raised some great questions.The answer is that we are pretty flexible.
We prefer practical over tradition. We want to travel and explore, not apply another coat of varnish.
Two engines would be nice, not critical.
Fuel efficiency, again nice but not necessary. We are sailors, 10 knots will be a white knuckle ride for us.
A second cabin, as long as there is a space to park a couple of extra bodies, not a deal breaker. A second head in a boat this size seems to be a huge waste of space.
We would like a safe, reliable vessel for inland passage.

A second head in a boat this size seems to be a huge waste of space.
We would like a safe, reliable vessel for inland passage.

I always thought a second head is a huge waste of space....until you have a second head. It is a luxury and a convenience. But we overlook the fact that it is a redundant system. Point being...occasionally a head does not work. If you have two...now you have a backup

I always thought a second head is a huge waste of space....until you have a second head. It is a luxury and a convenience. But we overlook the fact that it is a redundant system. Point being...occasionally a head does not work. If you have two...now you have a backup

The first time you have a problem with one head, you'll find yourself longing for a second.

There will be plenty of good boats to fit your budget. I think this from post #2 is a good suggestion:
"A couple of recommendations would be to go to a TrawlerFest or AGLCA event and look at the trawlers there to see what you like."

It will also be a chance to meet lots of folks who are doing the trip or will be, you may be seeing more of them in 2018

Al,
As a guy who started out taking a 25 foot boat across Lake Ontario, I can say, truer words were never spoken.

Welcome to TF and good luck w your search and adventure.
If you are in MY you will likely do some locking on your trip and after...Lk Ont...Lk Champlain...NY and Canadian canals are some great cruising areas.
A lower station and helm Door will make locking and docking much easier than only a footbridge.

Don't wait till 2018. Do it now, as soon as you get a boat. Sometmes too much planning is well, too much planning.

Welcome aboard!

I am trying to keep an open mind about the boats we're looking at. Any thoughts on the Island Pilot line?

I am trying to keep an open mind about the boats we're looking at. Any thoughts on the Island Pilot line?

Mine was just one of aesthetics(said the guy with a Carver). That, and if my memory serves me, and the ones I saw had outdrives instead of straight shafts. That is where they get some of their performance from. The newer ones are IPS drives.

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my post.
I just put my deposit down on a 09 Mariner/Helmsman 38 Seville Double Cabin.
My wife and I are looking forward to new adventures.

Just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my post.
I just put my deposit down on a 09 Mariner/Helmsman 38 Seville Double Cabin.
My wife and I are looking forward to new adventures.

Congratulations and good luck with the survey and sea trial. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom