Old 09-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Chrisv...
Not sure exactly where you will be but there are lots to see & do in that area.
My signature has a web link to our boat website. You will find some cruising notes for that area. One highlight is the antique boat museum in Clayton. Kingston is a great town and boating into Confederation Basin puts right in the best part of town.
The gallery has a few shots of the Rideau canal...The Trent-Severn is similar...old hand operated locks...stone walls...wooden gates and the scenery is to die for. Bonus is a few very different locks...

Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #42

City: Huntsville
Happens to us all

Scottb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #43

City: St. Joseph
So, how are you liking the new boat?!
cdsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #44

City: Sturgeon Bay, WI
Vessel Name: Long Story
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
LOL! The trawler we are buying also has a mast and boom. I found comfort in that too my hubby thinks they are rarely used, but we'll see. Thinking if our engines went out that little sail wouldn't help much . Hubby says it is to help stabilize when boats rolling around too much.

I'm a S. CA girl (born and raised). Hubby and I also lived in S. CA and northern CA for 20 years. A favorite sail was to Catalina Is. in S. Cal and SF Bay and out the gate in N. Cal. My hubby sailed a 32' Westsail from SF to Hawaii and back 30+ years ago. He left on our anniversary and I was 6 months pregnant. As you can imagine, I was not a happy camper. When he arrived I flew over and met him in Hawaii and flew back to SF the day he left to sail back. Good memories!
You will love it.... we (my wife and I) made the switch last year about this time, after I had sailed for over 35 year. (Mostly great lakes, and out of St Joe where you are - use to run a marina there) We bought our Grand Banks 36 and as much as it hurts to say, have not missed the sailing. (sure friends still invite us out) but our GB is just as quite and were more relaxed now.

We are in major transition mode now - we are selling everything, the house gets listed Friday and by May the boat will be our home. We plan to be South Bound by late July or early Aug 2018. Surprised that getting rid of stuff has been pretty painless... well up to now when the last of stuff that will not fit in the boat or the 10' x 12' storage unit we rented must go. Today I saw some tearing up on the wife - - but the excitement of the adventure is building also...

Enjoy your boat, being Trawler Trash as were called by sailing "Friends" is a great way to live...

Russ
m/v Long Story
GB 36 Classic
LongStoryGB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #45

City: St. Joseph, Mi
Vessel Name: Molly
Vessel Model: Albin 36' trawler
Russ,
We have our sailboat at the West Basin marina in St. Joe and will bring our new trawler (Molly) back there after checking out the 1,000 islands, heading home (Lake Michigan) via the Trent- Severn waterway. Hope downsizing can nit use to go well for you! We are living aboard our trawler now (for 2 weeks) while we get her ready for winter storage. We are loving our cabin in the water! It is so beautiful to watch the sunset on the water every night and sunrise, with coffee in hand, every morning from the main cabin. Youre right, we are going to love it!!!!
chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #46

City: Sturgeon Bay, WI
Vessel Name: Long Story
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36' Classic
Thanks for the comment... yes going to sleep each night to the slight motion and sound of the water. The early sunrise when at anchor the birds at sunset! Hope to talk more and share our adventures. I've been gone from there now 17 years. Use to run Pier 1000 with my Ex and two partners. Is the brew pub still in the old coast guard station? I hear Barney's Boathouse is no more
Have fun and stay warm... we have had 3 frosts now and had to pull for our last winter in the north.
Russ
LongStoryGB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #47

Weve been in and out of St. Joe for 12 years. Bought our retirement home there then and have been renting it out each summer. Hubby is finally retiring the end of December, so weve moved there permanently now and he commutes to Ohio each week. The old brewery is now the St. Joseph Yacht Club! Its gorgeous! Big beautiful pool looking out at the river.
chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #48

Hubby and I, and our chocolate lab and Pomeranian, have been living aboard our newly purchased Albin 36 for over a week now getting her ready for winter storage. We have christened her “Molly” and we are falling in love! Out with the previous owner’s stuff and in with our own. (Kills me to take out curtains, etc. that someone lovingly made, but are not our style). We have gone through every locker, cleaned almost every nook and cranny, climbed around in the engine compartment, gotten the dinghy cleaned and running...cooked several meals onboard and have been pleased with most everything so far. FINALLY, last evening, we did the drills at the dock, then took her out for a trial cruise. All of you who have said, “you’re going to love trawler life!” are spot on! Hubby backed out and captained her like a pro and then drove back into her slip smoothly and without a hitch! He even let me have my turn at the wheel and I did pretty well myself! We tried out her anchor windless and sat on the fly bridge for awhile enjoying the beautiful sights and sounds of a fall day on the bay in upstate New York. Glorious! Things I have found disagreeable are: the smell of the chemicals in the water, spiders everywhere, gnats, flys, bees, and did I mention spiders?! We have met more new friends at the marina in the last week than we have in our new home in MI in 7 months! We are heading back home in a few days, knowing that the hardest part of the Michigan winter will be waiting to get back on Molly in the spring! Click image for larger version

Name:	1756D585-5E32-427A-B4A6-357133C53863.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	69155Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1408.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	69156Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	69157