Transitioning newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have officially crossed over to the "dark side"! IMG_0819.jpg
Meet "Molly" our 36' 1979 Albin trawler. We can't wait to get better acquainted with her and show her tender loving care as she takes on many new adventures!

We have officially crossed over to the "dark side"! View attachment 68599
Meet "Molly" our 36' 1979 Albin trawler. We can't wait to get better acquainted with her and show her tender loving care as she takes on many new adventures!

That is great news!:thumb: You two will enjoy the dark side. Your vessel is a great looking one and I know the both of you are proud of her. Enjoy her:thumb:

Cheers.

H.

We have officially crossed over to the "dark side"! View attachment 68599

Can tell the way you two stand there huggen. n' smilen.. that... You two are obviously crazy! :D

Crazy about each other and boats together... that is!! :dance:

super congrats. Enjoy every day aboard!! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art and Linda :speed boat::speed boat:

We are holding onto each other shaking in our boots wondering which electronic component will break down first! [emoji33][emoji6]

We are holding onto each other shaking in our boots wondering which electronic component will break down first! [emoji33][emoji6]

That's simple to answer... :dance:

Your electrically energized synapses inside - Your Minds! :thumb:

:D :D :speed boat::speed boat:

No worries! Anything that breaks can be fixed! So no worries! Just keep the luck of the Irish in your minds!:thumb::rofl:

The main thing is, you will be having fun enjoying your vessel and each other doing what you both love to do!:dance:

Cheers.

H.

Welcome aboard TF and to...as you say...the dark side.
No transition for me always been a power boater but love to sail... on other peoples sail boats.
Actually I believe it's more of a transition from sport cruisers and go fast boats to trawlers than for sailers.
Sailers are used to goibg slow and frequently run the diesel to do it. Many argue about the% but many / most sailers run their diesels more than half the time.

If you will be making the return trip from St Lawrence to Lk Michigan I would suggest researching the Trent-Severn canal as a potential route.
We've done it while still working on a limited time frame. Looking to go back in a yr or two now that we can take our time. The T-S is one of those trips you will never forget.
Good luck with the new adventures

Bacchus,
Thank you for the tip and route suggestions. It's going to be a LONG winter waiting for our first trawler adventure!!! As sailors, years ago we would only turn our motor on if we were in dire circumstances [emoji16], now we turn it on if we get in a hurry or the wind just plain goes dies. So, I hear what you're saying. After our sea trial yesterday, I was a little surprised at the rocking motion (it was more than I had anticipated) but I'm sure I'll get used to it, as well as the loud sound of the engines. Hubby and I plan to return to NY and live aboard until she goes into winter storage so we can get her ready for travel as soon as the snow melts! [emoji16]

Bacchus,
Thank you for the tip and route suggestions. It's going to be a LONG winter waiting for our first trawler adventure!!! As sailors, years ago we would only turn our motor on if we were in dire circumstances [emoji16], now we turn it on if we get in a hurry or the wind just plain goes dies. So, I hear what you're saying. After our sea trial yesterday, I was a little surprised at the rocking motion (it was more than I had anticipated) but I'm sure I'll get used to it, as well as the loud sound of the engines. Hubby and I plan to return to NY and live aboard until she goes into winter storage so we can get her ready for travel as soon as the snow melts! [emoji16]

One item you might spend a bit of time on is sound absorbing insulation; regarding propulsion engine or gen set noise. There are many products as well as numerous articles regarding sound deadening capabilities. Considerable posts about same on TF too - just use the search feature.

Don't know your sole over engine compartment's surface finish. However, I do know that not only is engine sound deadened by applications on the underneath portion of sole... but... equally as important is the floor top inside salon areas. Bulkheads, depending on boat's constructed design may also offer some sound deadening capabilities.

As a side note... all sounds emanating into confined areas while traveling are not necessarily due to a "noise" actually coming from engine or gen set themselves. Often there are "features" [i.e. all sorts if items in the engine compartment] that reverberate noise sounds at different levels of engine rpm. Finding/sound-deadening those chance situations can also drop decibel levels. Getting in and personal with the engines while running at various rpm is what it takes to locate items sending off reverberation sounds.

Oh what fun you will have!! :D

Chrisv...
Not sure exactly where you will be but there are lots to see & do in that area.
My signature has a web link to our boat website. You will find some cruising notes for that area. One highlight is the antique boat museum in Clayton. Kingston is a great town and boating into Confederation Basin puts right in the best part of town.
The gallery has a few shots of the Rideau canal...The Trent-Severn is similar...old hand operated locks...stone walls...wooden gates and the scenery is to die for. Bonus is a few very different locks...

LOL! The trawler we are buying also has a mast and boom. I found comfort in that too [emoji6] my hubby thinks they are rarely used, but we'll see. Thinking if our engines went out that little sail wouldn't help much [emoji12]. Hubby says it is to help stabilize when boats rolling around too much.

I'm a S. CA girl (born and raised). Hubby and I also lived in S. CA and northern CA for 20 years. A favorite sail was to Catalina Is. in S. Cal and SF Bay and out the gate in N. Cal. My hubby sailed a 32' Westsail from SF to Hawaii and back 30+ years ago. He left on our anniversary and I was 6 months pregnant. As you can imagine, I was not a happy camper. When he arrived I flew over and met him in Hawaii and flew back to SF the day he left to sail back. Good memories!

You will love it.... we (my wife and I) made the switch last year about this time, after I had sailed for over 35 year. (Mostly great lakes, and out of St Joe where you are - use to run a marina there) We bought our Grand Banks 36 and as much as it hurts to say, have not missed the sailing. (sure friends still invite us out) but our GB is just as quite and were more relaxed now.

We are in major transition mode now - we are selling everything, the house gets listed Friday and by May the boat will be our home. We plan to be South Bound by late July or early Aug 2018. Surprised that getting rid of stuff has been pretty painless... well up to now when the last of stuff that will not fit in the boat or the 10' x 12' storage unit we rented must go. Today I saw some tearing up on the wife - - but the excitement of the adventure is building also...

Enjoy your boat, being Trawler Trash as were called by sailing "Friends" is a great way to live...

Russ
m/v Long Story
GB 36 Classic

Russ,
We have our sailboat at the West Basin marina in St. Joe and will bring our new trawler (Molly) back there after checking out the 1,000 islands, heading home (Lake Michigan) via the Trent- Severn waterway. Hope downsizing can nit use to go well for you! We are living aboard our trawler now (for 2 weeks) while we get her ready for winter storage. We are loving our “cabin” in the water! It is so beautiful to watch the sunset on the water every night and sunrise, with coffee in hand, every morning from the main cabin. You’re right, we are going to love it!!!!

Thanks for the comment... yes going to sleep each night to the slight motion and sound of the water. The early sunrise when at anchor the birds at sunset! Hope to talk more and share our adventures. I've been gone from there now 17 years. Use to run Pier 1000 with my Ex and two partners. Is the brew pub still in the old coast guard station? I hear Barney's Boathouse is no more
Have fun and stay warm... we have had 3 frosts now and had to pull for our last winter in the north.
Russ

We’ve been in and out of St. Joe for 12 years. Bought our retirement home there then and have been renting it out each summer. Hubby is finally retiring the end of December, so we’ve moved there permanently now and he commutes to Ohio each week. The old brewery is now the St. Joseph Yacht Club! It’s gorgeous! Big beautiful pool looking out at the river.

Hubby and I, and our chocolate lab and Pomeranian, have been living aboard our newly purchased Albin 36 for over a week now getting her ready for winter storage. We have christened her “Molly” and we are falling in love! Out with the previous owner’s stuff and in with our own. (Kills me to take out curtains, etc. that someone lovingly made, but are not our style). We have gone through every locker, cleaned almost every nook and cranny, climbed around in the engine compartment, gotten the dinghy cleaned and running...cooked several meals onboard and have been pleased with most everything so far. FINALLY, last evening, we did the drills at the dock, then took her out for a trial cruise. All of you who have said, “you’re going to love trawler life!” are spot on! Hubby backed out and captained her like a pro and then drove back into her slip smoothly and without a hitch! He even let me have my turn at the wheel and I did pretty well myself! We tried out her anchor windless and sat on the fly bridge for awhile enjoying the beautiful sights and sounds of a fall day on the bay in upstate New York. Glorious! Things I have found disagreeable are: the smell of the chemicals in the water, spiders everywhere, gnats, flys, bees, and did I mention spiders?! We have met more new friends at the marina in the last week than we have in our new home in MI in 7 months! We are heading back home in a few days, knowing that the hardest part of the Michigan winter will be waiting to get back on Molly in the spring! 1756D585-5E32-427A-B4A6-357133C53863.jpgIMG_1408.jpgIMG_1393.jpg

Last edited:
Great!!! Enjoy!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom