Old 12-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #21
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poach View Post
There will? When?
Shhh... I was trying to encourage the new guy.

The reality is: The only thing that's always working on an old boat... is the owner.

There may, however, be a few moments when enough things are working well enough that you can take a break from fixing them and enjoy a cold one at sunset in a remote anchorage.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #22
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Have hope! We have actually gone a 2-3-month summer on the Inside Passage with nothing breaking - twice, IIRC.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I actually don't recall any time when everything a boat worked perfectly. I have come to accept it. I just keep plugging away at the list of things that need to be repaired or improved upon, trying to keep the list from getting longer. The list never seems to get shorter. It is a kind of steady state situation with repairs, maintenance and failures in a strange kind of balance.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Vessel Name: Makin Memories
Vessel Model: 1987 41' President
Welcome aboard. You have done yourself a favor by joining this forum. Both my wife and I have learned many lessons from the wisdom of its members. We are first year rookies to the trawler lifestyle with a 30-year-old trawler. One thing that I have learned thus far about repairs, maintenance, and cruising is this. When we began this journey, the ratio between cruising and repairs/maintenance stood at approximately ten to one. Ten hours of repairs and maintenance to one hour underway. With time and experience, we are down to about three to one. One of our goals, and what keeps us reinvesting our time, energy, money, and hope is that we plan on making the great loop in about two years. My point is (talk about great loops!), there will always be something that will need maintenance, monitoring, repair and eventually replacement. For us, the trawler lifestyle has many challenges, but the payback is priceless.
MakinMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Vessel Name: Makin Memories
Vessel Model: 1987 41' President
Lol!!
MakinMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #26

City: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Didn't Perla Blanca have a Chrysler diesel?

Where are you moored? I am in Pender Harbour.

Welcome aboard!
Yes, Perla Blanca had a Chrysler Nissan diesel when we owned her. We purchased her in 1978 and sold her in 2001.
Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #27
Guru

Last week I replaced the bow thruster controls a cheap piece of plastic holding the rocker switch broke. I also had to replace the bilge gas sensor which has gone south before and disabled our stove. I now carry spare sensor.This week I had to pull the tank level sensor out of the black water holding tank for a repair and will not be sure I got it right until I can pour some water in the tank when the dock water is on again. I have a whole list of projects and my boat is only 4 years old. When we go cruising for 6 weeks I keep plenty of tools and spares aboard and every other week it is something or other that needs attention This is all part of boating and particularly cruising. Over the years I have learned that motor boats seem to have different and more complicated needs than sail probably due to all the comfort stuff on most power boats. Get a good tool kit stay tuned to this site and boat diesel and be ready to roll up your sleeves hopefully you will be one of those boaters that likes repair and maintenance or at least tolerates it.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote