Old 01-30-2015, 05:01 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe n Em View Post
Well, I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your seat as we have been for the last two weeks but we finally decided (and had our offer accepted yesterday!) for the Mainship!

We saw both boats in the same day and the amount of living space was one decider - the other was the value. The Mainship was less expensive, in better condition, and younger by a few years.

I(Gabe) still think the Albins are a little more pleasing on the eyes and definitely more fuel efficient but ALL uses of the boat had to be considered. Not just looks

Stay tuned for survey results but we are looking to liveaboard and need to keep the ball rolling. Any suggestions for marinas on kent island? We liked Mears and Castle harbor but thought piney narrows was too loud with the bridge right there.
I stayed out of it, because all the bon mots had been said, but I hoped you'd choose that way. We have a sedan/Europa style with two day lounges in the saloon, (no dinette, but good drop-leaf table), and we just love the indoor/outdoor livin' allowed by the rear cockpit and no aft cabin. No offence to tri-cabin owners, but, I doubt you will ever have cause to regret that decision. The number of times you take non-family away and really appreciate the added privacy of a separate aft cabin generally tends to be a lot less often that you think.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Congratulations! You should be comfortable with the extra elbow room.
Enjoy.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #23
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Congrats on your new boat.
We are cruising live-aboards on a 36 Mainship Aft Cabin. We love it. I was looking for a larger boat, however, the Admiral felt more comfortable with the 36 so the 36 it is. When we are on-the-go, she drives most of the time. Frees me up for my hourly walk-thru inspections including the bilges. About the only time she doesn't drive (steer) is when she is cooking - whatta gal.
Anyway, as long as your wife is happy, you will be happy.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Congrats
Old 02-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Stay tuned for survey results but we are looking to liveaboard and need to keep the ball rolling. Any suggestions for marinas on kent island? We liked Mears and Castle harbor but thought piney narrows was too loud with the bridge right there.

You might check out Bay Bridge Marina and Lipincott's. I don't know much about the latter, but we've been in there (by land) and it looks viable... and they were (maybe still are -- or actually maybe they "are again"?) a Mainship dealer so they may be able to offer service advice and so forth. We like BBM for their floating docks, but I prefer Mears' location, and when you get further back inside the marina you're not so bothered by Red Eye's noise

Well's Cove is said to be pretty rocky/rolly... and I've heard water depth in Castle Harbor is an issue. No first-hand experience with either, though.

-Chris
Old 02-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelydon View Post
I've never seen a boat I didn't like. My wife says a broker could make a living on just selling me boats.
Enjoy!
Steelydon
Yes, I want one of each.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 PM   #27
Guru

Congratulations: What is the exhaust geometry like on your new to be mainship? If you don't know what I am talking about this is now a learning exercise. If I explain you will not learn as well. Go to Seaboard Marine(not the shipping co.) the engine place in CA and go to Tony's tips and read about exhaust systems. Why do I mention this out of the blue? Because many production boats cram the engines in tight spaces and the exhaust system is then make due and may get by or may not and I have heard that some models of your new boat may be suspect. Good luck.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #28

City: Savannah, GA
Vessel Name: In Sanity
Vessel Model: 1981 Mainship 40'
Thanks guys for the marina tips and on the exhaust issues. I'll definitely look into both.

The sea trial went OK. We found a couple repairs needed on one engine and one transmission that the seller agreed to take care of (WOOHOO!) There are plenty of small odds and ends that we can do ourselves as well but the surveyor kept saying he was impressed for a 34 year old boat.

I guess we have to go clock in to the mainship thread now....
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #29

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Gabe,
Are you looking for a place to live on the boat year round? We lived in Baltimore on our boat. One factor to consider is how the marina will provide water during the winter and if the marina has a pumpout.
Cheers,
Henry
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:07 AM   #30

Thanks Henry
we have a long roll up fire hose for getting water from the frost free outlets at the end of the dock in the two marinas we are looking at.

Pumpout could be an issue. The only year round pump out I have heard of is in rock hall. Know of any others?
Old 02-07-2015, 01:34 AM   #31
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Welcome, the saying is that "the boat picks you" if that's not happening maybe you should continue the search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Gotta admit when folks told me this before buying our boat I thought it was a load of BS. Having been through the process I'm 100% convinced that it is true. If neither of these boats chose you, and you'd know it, keep looking as soon enough one will.
110% Agreed!

Every boat I've (we've) ever owned chose (grabbed) me (us) by the hands, feet, heart, and minds.

We simply could not get away! Sort of - LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Pumpout could be an issue. The only year round pump out I have heard of is in rock hall. Know of any others?

I think you can find others. Selby Bay Marina near us, someplace on Back Creek in Annapolis (maybe Annapolis Landing, and it might be in-slip pump-outs), have heard about several Bal'mer marinas like Inner Harbor, etc.

The Annapolis pump-out boat was said to be running all year round now, too.

-Chris
Old 02-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #33

Thanks Chris. If the Annapolis boat is running year round, that would be great. it would be a hop-skip-and-a-jump away when we needed. I'll see what I can find on that....
Old 02-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Chris. If the Annapolis boat is running year round, that would be great. it would be a hop-skip-and-a-jump away when we needed. I'll see what I can find on that....

Well, probably, if you're in Annapolis. Or maybe sorta, if you're on Kent Island at BBM. Otherwise, it's a ways around from someplace like Lippincott's. And you'd have to deal with engine winterization/unwinterization.

Anyway, it'll be useful if you can post whatever you find out, 'cause I'm not always sure I've got complete or up-to-date info...

-Chris
Old 02-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Welcome, the saying is that "the boat picks you" if that's not happening maybe you should continue the search.

110% Agreed!

Every boat I've (we've) ever owned chose (grabbed) me (us) by the hands, feet, heart, and minds.

We simply could not get away! Sort of - LOL
I've always said, "You'll know when it's the right one for you." And the other side of that is "When in doubt, don't." Then you may find ultimately passing on that one was the smartest buying decision you've ever made. Sometimes it's those reservations that we can't pinpoint at the time. We sit thinking "I just don't feel right about it" but then we pressure ourselves asking why. Well, analysis only takes one so far and sometimes it's emotion, gut feeling, instinct that knows something we can't learn by analysis. We just have to feel right, feel comfortable with our new boat. Then each year you'll find yourself falling in love with it all over again. And even if you move on to others, the love for that previous one will never leave.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I've always said, "You'll know when it's the right one for you." And the other side of that is "When in doubt, don't." Then you may find ultimately passing on that one was the smartest buying decision you've ever made. Sometimes it's those reservations that we can't pinpoint at the time. We sit thinking "I just don't feel right about it" but then we pressure ourselves asking why. Well, analysis only takes one so far and sometimes it's emotion, gut feeling, instinct that knows something we can't learn by analysis. We just have to feel right, feel comfortable with our new boat. Then each year you'll find yourself falling in love with it all over again. And even if you move on to others, the love for that previous one will never leave.
You talking about good Ex's?? LOL
Old 02-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
You talking about good Ex's?? LOL
Good ex-boats. Never going to have an ex-wife.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #38

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Quote:
The Kent Narrows is a great location. It is right in the middle of some of the nicest cruising grounds on the Chesapeake Bay.

I keep my boat at Mears. It is well maintained and has nice facilities. If you have any questions about Mears feel free to PM me with questions.

I kept a boat at Lippincotts several years ago. The folks are friendly, but the marina was not that well maintained. Some of the boat slips had shoaled badly. (including the one I had). They may have corrected this now, but I would certainly check before signing a contract.

Bay Bridge Marina is well maintained with floating docks. Most boats get hauled out for the Spring boat show which is held there.

I don't know if you live locally, but Rock Hall has some nice marinas also.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
The Kent Narrows is a great location. It is right in the middle of some of the nicest cruising grounds on the Chesapeake Bay.

I keep my boat at Mears. It is well maintained and has nice facilities. If you have any questions about Mears feel free to PM me with questions.

I kept a boat at Lippincotts several years ago. The folks are friendly, but the marina was not that well maintained. Some of the boat slips had shoaled badly. (including the one I had). They may have corrected this now, but I would certainly check before signing a contract.

Bay Bridge Marina is well maintained with floating docks. Most boats get hauled out for the Spring boat show which is held there.

I don't know if you live locally, but Rock Hall has some nice marinas also.
Hey Yonder,
We are dirt dwellers in rock hall currently. It's just TOO quiet for us right now. The trick is we work in Galena but would like to push closer to annapolis/civilization/better cruising so kent island would be a good meld of these. It's about 40 minutes to Galena which, while not great, is manageable

Do you know anyone at Mears who lives aboard? We heard of one or two from the nice lady at the front desk but they didn't seem too excited about liveaboards overall.

We drove through Lippencott but it was really quiet. Mears Point had activity even on a cold sunday in January.

We didn't tour Bay bridge because we heard they were not interested in liveaboards but a quick check of their website shows otherwise. Floating docks sound nice...
Old 02-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #40
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Good ex-boats. Never going to have an ex-wife.
Good answer!! No need to be legal wife to be an Ex!