Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #21
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Welcome! Better put it in the lake once in a while to check stability as you build onto it it sounds like it might get top heavy. We do see similar around here on the inland waters usually used as duck hunting or fishing camps sometimes pontoons added for stability. Enjoy it.
The first photo below is a trawler cabin built on what I was told to be a Welcraft hull, maybe 26 ft. or so. It may still be sitting in Indiantown, FL where I took this photo. It was a neat thing even though the interior was unfinished and it had a jack plate for two good sized outboards out back. The first time I saw it, the builder was parked on the shoulder of the road with two flat tires on one side. The boat nearly came off the trailer from the event, but considering the profile of a Welcraft run-about, that's a awful lot of fiberglass above the water line. I never saw it in the water.

The second and third photo was how a practical, albeit less romantic, trawlette should be done. Pontoons or cat hull provide a stable platform in the shallows, lightweight insulated portable building plopped right on the deck with A/C, small genset, a berth or two, head, small galley, a decent outboard and enough rear deck to step out for docking or maybe troll the lake or river, plus a nice deck out front for cruising in the breeze and throwing a line off the side while comfortably seated. The photos were taken in Okeechobee, FL where a machine like this is highly appreciated. Hose it off after the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trawlette.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	54238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontoon trawlette.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	54239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontoon trawlette 2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	54240  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:22 AM   #22

City: KUNA, IDAHO
Vessel Name: Chasin' Rainbows
Vessel Model: 1970 Glastron
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
The second and third photo was how a practical, albeit less romantic, trawlette should be done. Pontoons or cat hull provide a stable platform in the shallows, lightweight insulated portable building plopped right on the deck with A/C, small genset, a berth or two, head, small galley, a decent outboard and enough rear deck to step out for docking or maybe troll the lake or river, plus a nice deck out front for cruising in the breeze and throwing a line off the side while comfortably seated. The photos were taken in Okeechobee, FL where a machine like this is highly appreciated. Hose it off after the trip.
==========
Is the genset to run the AC? We live fulltime in our fifth wheel but we're committed to living offgrid and meet all our power needs from solar. We use propane for the reefer and the stove but if it gets cold enough to need the furnace OR hot enough to need AC, we're moving! Before I bought the new 19' McGregor power/sailer I had a steel hulled party barge -- nothing on the deck but a steering station (no seat) and a bench across the back end of it -- 25 HP outboard and maybe 5 knots full out. The original owner had no trailer for it and simply drug it up out of the Snake River (Idaho) with a tractor for the winter months and pushed it back into the drink come spring. Over time the hulls developed pin holes and would no longer hold the low pressure they were designed for to keep the water out. As a 'fix', he cut "port holes" in the hulls as needed and had them completely filled with polyurethane spray foam.
==========
I think the dang thing was pretty much unsinkable but it did (over the course of a season) ride lower and lower in the water. For winter storage, I cranked the trailer tongue up as high as it would go and pulled the hull drain plugs. Any day above freezing, it would slowly drip, drip and by spring we were floating high and dry again. We had a ton of fun on that old sled -- used to charge the sandy shore as fast as she would go (not very fast ) and pull the outboard up at the last second, and then step off through the middle gate in front onto dry land.
==========
sail4free
==========

sail4free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail4free View Post
==========
Is the genset to run the AC?
Genset was a portable Honda 2000, which ran the 5000 BTU window unit and charged two golf cart batteries for everything else. The flat roof would allow 6-8 150 watt solar panels though.

Here's two more shots of pontoon trawlettes that looked like fun. I don't know anything about the first one, but the second was right nearby in northern Longboat Key. Some of these ''toons", as they call them, are getting pretty expensive, but around here in Sarasota Bay, it's an ideal platform for calm-water exploring the rivers, canals and hanging out at the local sandbars.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pontoon trawlette.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	54247   Click image for larger version

Name:	pontoon trawlette-lift.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	54248  

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Some of these ''toons", as they call them, are getting pretty expensive, but around here in Sarasota Bay, it's an ideal platform for calm-water exploring the rivers, canals and hanging out at the local sandbars.
==========
My Dad was a truck driver and one of the many places we lived quite a bit longer than the others was San Pedro, CA. I was the oldest of us kids and on some of his days off, we'd check out the local marinas -- talk with folks in dry dock, etc. We met a few old salts on the water who were lucky enough to have shore power to keep their pumps running. Otherwise their boats would've sunk long ago. I remember the dry docks with their families being much like living in a trailer park except they lived on boats! The school bus stopped out front by the mailboxes.
==========
More than anything else, I suppose this exposure planted the seed for my love of boats and being on the water. We nurtured a dream of moving our family of seven kids(!) onto an old fishing boat which had been painted up real nice inside and out. My Dad explained we could build bunks for everyone down below where the fish used to get packed on ice. I'm sure that's a move which would have instantly endeared us to all our floating neighbors. He actually bought a converted lifeboat in dry dock -- only entrance was through a round access hatch in the fore deck -- so we scraped on that thing for a while. That dream never materialized in my youth but I still have a strong desire to live on the water. A trailerable houseboat -- something big enough we could live in full time -- would IMHO be the best of both worlds.
==========
I have an older Lance truck camper which is very nice inside but the framing for the extended cabover has failed and I can no longer use it as a truck camper. I'd relish the opportunity to convert it into a houseboat. It already has two 'kittie kondos' built into it as I lived in it for a time before I got married this last time and I stored the cats in their kondos as night. An old pontoon frame would make a good foundation but two flat-bottomed catamaran-style hulls could be even better = less draft. The camper currently sits on an overbuilt 6'x10' utility trailer but the bonehead who built it put the axle in the exact fore/aft center. I suppose it could be morphed into a houseboat trailer -- it's certainly strong enough but, to be functional, the hulls would need to be at least 20' long and 28' would be better -- quite a project to consider. In addition to getting a trailer, that was another reason for our move to a "terminal trawler" = getting a hull that we could register without having to jump through all the hoops to register a "homemade" boat.
==========
sail4free
==========
Old 07-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #25
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
We passed on this one:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1857.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	54252  
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
We passed on this one:
==========
I can see why . . . something about that layout just ain't quite right . . . and those funky "decorations" are out of place too -- like trying to put lipstick on a pig
==========
sail4free
==========
Old 07-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #27

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
What is the total weight of the lumber and construction materials being added?

That boat is going to have a total capacity of Gear, people and motor of around 1,400 lbs. Typically that would be around 1,000lbs of people and 400lbs of motor and gear.

If two adult people weigh a combined 350lbs, this gives you roughly 1,050 lbs for everything ELSE on the boat. That's just over 1,000lbs for the superstructure and everything you put on the boat for gear.

Extending the superstructure beam beyond the gunnels is going to impose inherent instability in the vessel.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What is the total weight of the lumber and construction materials being added?

That boat is going to have a total capacity of Gear, people and motor of around 1,400 lbs. Typically that would be around 1,000lbs of people and 400lbs of motor and gear.

If two adult people weigh a combined 350lbs, this gives you roughly 1,050 lbs for everything ELSE on the boat. That's just over 1,000lbs for the superstructure and everything you put on the boat for gear.
We'll have to weigh it when we're done to know for sure, but's it hard to imagine we're adding much more weight than that to the boat. Our friends are letting us try their (?9.8?) HP outboard (short shaft -- 2 stroke) and a plastic tank. If it still runs and works for us, we'll set up a payment plan. Otherwise we'll have the weight of two RV/Marine batts and the Minnkota 30 electric trolling motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Extending the superstructure beam beyond the gunnels is going to impose inherent instability in the vessel.
I'm trying to wrap my mind around this variable and not having much luck with it. The deck extends one foot wider (down each side) than the original boat width but there's nothing out there on those side decks; certainly not while under way. The added-on cabin shell will be no wider than the original boat, so it seems to me that virtually all added weight will bear down vertically as if the side decks aren't even there. In a powerful side wind, I can see how the extensions (+/- 15 square feet on either side) could catch more air and add to any flipping potential but, beyond that, I'm just not understanding other forces which might make the vessel inherently unstable.
==========
sail4free
==========