t6.354 oil sending unit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaylord Ballard

Veteran Member
On the way back from the Cape yesterday and I had smoke coming out from the console. I turned off the switch but motored on for an hour or so to get back to port. Turned switch back on and cranked the engine (ran fine)and no oil pressure. Where is the oil pressure sending unit located so I can check the oil pressure manually. I don't think it's my problem but I want to confirm it. The engine is a Perkins T6.6354.

On the way back from the Cape yesterday and I had smoke coming out from the console. I turned off the switch but motored on for an hour or so to get back to port. Turned switch back on and cranked the engine (ran fine)and no oil pressure. Where is the oil pressure sending unit located so I can check the oil pressure manually. I don't think it's my problem but I want to confirm it. The engine is a Perkins T6.6354.
I have the non-turbo version and the sender is on the port side towards the rear of the engine block.
The gauge sender I believe has 2 wire terminals and the pressure switch only has one. Its been a while since I looked.

Last edited:
t6.354

I have tried to research the difference in the switch and sender. On the alarm in the console there are two wires..most likely goes to the sender. Can you elaborate on what the function of the switch is and where that wire might go. It is surprising how little information I can find on this.

There is a low oil pressure SWITCH which drives the alarm buzzer. Low oil pressure of about 5 psig triggers the alarm. It is either ON or OFF. That is all it does.

The oil pressure SENDER is a variable resistance electrical device connected to the oil pressure gauge. Oil pressure changes the output resistance of the sender. Generally a 0-80 PSI needle type gauge on the engine panel responds proportionally to the resistance.

The two operate independently of each other with the exception that both are powered from the key.

Thanks again. I have been around and restored engines all my life but never a diesel. I downloaded the workshop manual and made inquiries online but you had the answers I needed to get me started.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom