Sweet Home Alabama

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleP

I'm new to the forum. I don't have a boat. I'm still 5-7 years from retirement. My goal is to immerse myself in trawler knowledge. I want to get a trawler, retire and do the Great Loop... at least once. I live close to Fairhope AL so if any Loopers stay at the Fairhope Yacht Club, let me know and maybe we can do dinner. I'd love to hear your stories. Right now I anticipate doing the loop single handle. I would love to be given some advice. Thanks. I look forward to discussions with many of you.

Welcome to the TF!

Welcome to the forum! Breathe deep and enjoy the cruise.

Ted

Hi Dale, I'm a Foley boy, but coffee will have to wait as I'm still about 8000 miles away. Welcome!

We're not Loopers, but two quickie "advice" ideas anyway:

1) If you haven't already, check out the Loop association (AGLCA).

2) Get your boat at least 2 years before you intend to set out on that trip. Even earlier, if you won't be able to use it a lot during that period. That's your training time, where you get hands-on driving and maintaining experience.

FWIW, We've had this current boat for going on 12 seasons now. Handling hasn't been much of a learning curve in our case (especially given carry-over experience from previous boats)... but I'm still learning how to service/fix stuff.

-Chris

Let me know when you are back and we can do coffee or a beer.

Back
Top Bottom