Old 11-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #1

City: Penhook, Virginia
Spanky new member

Hello! We are near the cusp of ownership of a 1989 Californian 48’. So I am looking for advice, cautions, secret knowledge and workarounds for likely problems and obstacles. Thick skin so have at it, pls.

RA Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #2

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Welcome Aboard, I'm not too familiar with that make and model but I know its a lot of boat. Silly you, you forgot to include pictures.

I imagine that in buying a boat like the 48 you are experienced boaters, if not, ask away, we are here for you.

Don't forget the pics..

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #3

City: Penhook, Virginia
Thanks for the note Pete. Experienced boaters...umm... we have two boats. A 1978 O’Day Daysailer II and a 24’ Summit Pontoon boat. So really, I won’t claim to be an experienced boater in the context of a 48 foot Trawler. I can drive a small tractor though...

Our plan is to buy a boat, move to a San Francisco Bay marina and live on it. All my kids and family are already there although not on boats.

Please rate my level of courage/stupidity freely.

RA
RA Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by RA Jones View Post
Thanks for the note Pete. Experienced boaters...umm... we have two boats. A 1978 O’Day Daysailer II and a 24’ Summit Pontoon boat. So really, I won’t claim to be an experienced boater in the context of a 48 foot Trawler. I can drive a small tractor though...

Our plan is to buy a boat, move to a San Francisco Bay marina and live on it. All my kids and family are already there although not on boats.

RA
Stupidity- zero.
Courage- off the charts!

You’re following a dream/passion/desire- something that too many never pull the trigger on. As long as you’re going into the project with open eyes and attitude, you’ll do fine.

Get yourself a training skipper and learn how to handle the boat (it may be needed for your insurance). In your homeport area, immerse yourself in the community and find out who the “go to) people are for marine services (mechanical/electrical/plumbing/etc).

Most of all- enjoy the journey!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

City: Seattle and Blaine
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RA Jones View Post

RA
We went from 21' to 48' seven years ago. If you are adequately committed and thoughtful, you will do fine. I agree will Pau Hana, hire a training captain and spend enough time with him/her to get reasonably comfortable. It was important for us to schedule time to go out alone close enough after the training sessions to secure some of the new knowledge after it was acquired. Quality of the trainers is important. We had two. I am sure both were decent captains but one was a great trainer and one was not. Keep looking until you find one that you gain from. They are out there and worth what you pay.

Welcome.