Somewhat New Forum Member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich K

Vessel Name
Daisy Mae
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3288
I am not yet a Trawler owner, but am actively searching for my next boat. I have many years of experience with smaller craft, and have owned 4 boats including a 26’ Cruiser, and have several years’ experience operating and maintaining a 33’ Chris-Craft, which my family owned when I was younger and in my 30s.

The last ten years I have been owned an light aircraft, but now that I am getting closer to retirement, I have been gravitating back to what I enjoyed the most, and know that my wife would enjoy being back on the water here in the Pacific Northwest. I will most likely give up the airplane when we finally get the boat we want, as two expensive hobbies are a bit too much in retirement.

I have always loved Trawlers, and as I am not planning to be in a “hurry” any more. When we still had kids at home we often needed to return quickly after a short vacation to get back to work and school, therefore we felt we needed a “quicker” boat. We would like to spend longer periods onboard, and eventually travel a lot further up the Inside Passage than we did in the past, years ago.

I am actively searching for something 34’ to maybe 42’, which my wife and I can handle alone.

Years ago, my kids loved the trips to the San Juan Islands, and into Canada on our 26’ Cruiser, but it was a mixed bag for me, as it seemed that no matter where we went I didn’t see too much as I spent an awful long time down in the “engine room.” Therefore I plan to do my due diligence and find something a bit more reliable. I’m not afraid of working on whatever I do find, and as work shouldn’t be getting in the way after retirement, and I kind of look forward to keeping it shipshape.

I have, for the last 6 months, been reading quite a bit here on the Trawler Forum, and appreciate all the insight that I have gleaned from reading of the experiences of all of you. I know I will have questions that I would like to throw out there for answers, and comments.

Rich K

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Rick!!!

Welcome to the Trawler Forum. What light plane you flying?

I have a Piper Cherokee PA28-140/160.
Not a speed demon, cruise at about 130 MPH. Flew the other day from my home near the Tacoma area, to Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands, took less than 50 minutes skirting the “B” and “C” airspace. A like trip on my last boat up Puget Sound took all day. :speed boat:
Looking forward to nice, leisurely trips in the future, once we finally find the right boat.:)
Rich K

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Rich from a TF'er on the opposite side of the state from you. Lots of good people on here and lots of good information.

Heck, they even let non-trawler owners like me hang out here.

Welcome Rich! I live in the Tacoma area and keep my boat in Gig Harbor. I've flown out of Tacoma Industrial a few time, once was as part of my long XC flight during my flight training and another time was getting checked out in a Piper Warrior there at the FBO.

Lots of good information on boats here. My suggestion is to first identify how you anticipate using the boat (which you are well on the way) and figure out how many folks will likely be aboard, what types of things you think you need, want, or couldn't put up with.

Welcome, and I'm looking forward to reading about your search, what you end up with, and what you do with it!

Back
Top Bottom