City: Pilot Mountain
Vessel Name: ThistleDew
Vessel Model: 2014 Keywest !*FS
Masonry keeps YOU young maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Aye, Scars - Another Odd Bod!

Now that I've said HI!

Welcome. So you don't like masonry... too bad. It keeps ya young!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Oh, l Like masonry just fine, when it's all done pointed, muriatic acid applied, and then pressure washed. Then it's beautiful in its own way, .... I'm just too 'ole' and too 'scrawny' to do it all day out in the sun.

Don't get me wrong though, I do like work, I can watch someone else do it all day long., and I'm not afraid of it either, in fact,.. I've been known to lay down and fall sound asleep right next to it.

Scars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #22
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Welcome aboard!

I gotta tell ya, I like work too, BUT, I sure as hell wouldn't build a boat myself. Commission one? Yes.

I do most if not all of the maintenance on my boat including engine, refitting, fixing whatever decides it doesn't want to work that day, cleaning, except bottom, I hire out for that. Yes I do plumbing too. Nothing worse than a leaky fitting.

There is plenty to do on any boat you buy. In fact enough to make it feel like you are building a boat from scratch.

A very wise forum member once told me, "Buy your last boat first" ( credit OC Diver, Ted)

Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:26 AM   #23

Hey there! I've given much though and even spent a little money on small boat plans. I see myself to be somewhat of an 'industrial artist' type over a production boat duplicator. I intend to build at least one small one. And To All who have expressed the same,.. I do think buying a used trawler and refitting it and updating the drivetrain, systems, galley, and heads would really be the way I'd go to get into a trawler. As much fun as building a new one shiny & clean from the bottom up, would be, I'd rather be on the water.

I'll start a new thread when I decide which small boat to build. In the meantime, has anyone purchased this guy's package. I'm a little leary of products that don't let you take them for a test drive or let you have a look at what you're getting for the $$ you put out.

I also really like this lapstrake inboard, it may just be the first one,

I like the idea of a sturdy stable hull with a small inboard and a full-length keel.

Also, thanks for the tip on the removing stink book. I have read a bit on marine plumbing, and I have built a few houses and repaired some small issues with a marine shower, ( I said I don't like plumbing, I didn't say I don't know how to do it or that I hadn't done it, I'm just more a "sparkey" kinda guy,.). I intend to order a copy of your suggestion today. Thanks again. - Brett ( AKA Scars )
Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #24

Oh my. I didn't mean to upset the spousal applecart. Trust me when I say we dream together, we plan together and we do together.

Married 35 years now. We put away "petty" a long time ago. So to put things straight, there will be three more boats in our future, a small daysailer, or weekender, probably an inboard dinghy, or 'launch' if you like. (hope to build that one) And whatever the wind blows our way in a trawler; and that is on top of our little center console fishing boat and the kids liveaboard cat. So you see we have talked it over. Until those additions to the fleet become reality we have joined a small yacht club on an inland lake where we're learning all the time, and we run around the lakes and coast in NC, and 3-4 times a year we haul the CC down to Charleston for a week or two fishing and just hangin out livin the dream.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Scars when I suggested you build the dinghy first, I was thinking stitch and glue plywood and you come up with lap strake! That's a pretty tough way o build a first boat. If you want something a little more challenging than stitch and glue, look for a strip planked design that blows your skirt up.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #26

Can you think of a better way to appreciate what you're asking someone else to do than to have done it yourself? My father used to tell me when I was a kid that there is a big difference between knowing how something is done, and knowing how to do it.

Now, I'm never going to give birth to a child, and wifey will most likely never get kicked in the balls by a horse, so there are limits; but when you are a team, and your lives might depend on what you both know how to do? Damned right we're both going up that mast.

We take this approach, even with our little 19' fishing boat. You would not believe the number of spouses that can't a.) pilot the boat onto the trailer, and, b.) can't back a trailer down a boat ramp either.

You ought to see the men grinning and poking their wifes in the ribs when they see Tara ( aka wifey ) back a crew-cab, long bed, GMC dually down the boat ramp like an ole pro. We've actually, literally, had some 'ladies' scowl and throw insults her way because she can handle a truck that size. It is the dumbest damned thing you ever wanted to witness, and it's pathetic. anyway, I digress.

So I'm just sayin, she wouldn't be traumatized by going up a 60' mast. She may not like it, she may take some time to get up the nerve, but she'll eventually know every inch of every boat, heck every vehicle, we own. Ours is a long time relationship as I've said. She can't cook to save her butt, I happen to be a good cook. She's an RN with and can suture better than some Doc.s that have worked on me. I cannot untangle fishing tackle if my life depends on it, she untangles it faster than I can cut it off and re-rig a new set.

But those roles aren't the same as both of us knowing ( most times learning together ) how to handle a boat, the truck, the,... whatever,.. the unprepared are the first to die.

I suspect it might be helpful if I were to use some visual cues for a while so you nice folks can tell when I'm telling you stories 'tongue in cheek" perhaps fucia italics?, My dry sense of humor really does play better in person, honest
Old 10-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #27

City: Alexander
Somewhere out there is a retired boat builder willing, for a few bucks and some beer, to sit in a chair and yell and point you in the right direction. Find him and you are on your way. I did it when I was young and stupid and I built a hell of a boat. It ended up on the cover of a Caribbean novel.

Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote