And so it begins...(again)>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heron

Guru
Vessel Name
Heron (2)
Vessel Make
'88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Well, I've been off the water since my Chesapeake days with a Bristol 35.5 sailboat... Recently got the yen to get back...Trawler style this time.. If you've ever owned a big sailboat, the trawler should be a labor saver, however only marginally. Anyway, went on a search for a Cape Dory 28 Flybride. With only 220 or so built they're a bit rare but come up occasionally with the right specs. Coincidentally, just found an '88 in Oriental NC...About 70 miles from the current abode. Nice boat, well equipped with a fresh Volvo 200, and a lot of other things. Bow thruster, AC, Radar etc. Some antique electronics, but they can be refreshed. Took the second look yesterday and tendered an offer and deposit. Fingers crossed that I'll be on the water soon. Wish me luck!

IMG_3910-vi.jpg

Welcome. Those are nifty looking boats. I lived in Greenville for about 6 years, and boated out of Morehead City. Where is your boat located?

Welcome. Those are nifty looking boats. I lived in Greenville for about 6 years, and boated out of Morehead City. Where is your boat located?

Thanks Moonstruck...I'll likely berth in Washington NC for now. Close to home while I get the boat into shape... Headed to the Chesapeake for a long cruise this summer most likely!

Thanks Moonstruck...I'll likely berth in Washington NC for now. Close to home while I get the boat into shape... Headed to the Chesapeake for a long cruise this summer most likely!

We had another poster I think Michigander that was thinking about locating a trawler in Little Washington for long weekend trips. Seems your boat would be very good for that. Can you make 12 to 14 knots at cruise?

We had another poster I think Michigander that was thinking about locating a trawler in Little Washington for long weekend trips. Seems your boat would be very good for that. Can you make 12 to 14 knots at cruise?

I think it will from the speed postings I've read on the 28....At some fuel expense of course, but the 200 Volvo seems a good powerplant for this boat from what I've read. Lots of good cruising in a 2-3 day range of Washington. Yes, I saw Michigander's post. He's in Raleigh and looking at the same marina I'll likely base out of. Benefit to me is Washington is only a 30 mile drive.

Great looking boat welcome

Anyway, went on a search for a Cape Dory 28 Flybridge.

That boat has very nice lines. I particularly like the clean lines of the hull in that particular shot. Has something of the lobsterboat/Grand Banks Eastbay look to it.

Yes, nice lines like most of the Cape Dory's. I know you went looking for a Flybridge version, but I've found that on that size boat there are more con's than pro's for a flybridge. And to me the boat would look even better without it.

Welcome from a non-trawler owner. I'm another that likes the lines of your boat. Clean, artistic looking, just a darn nice looking boat.

Thanks all! Yes, I like the rather classic lines of the CD....And they do make a nice boat. A sailing buddy of mine had a CD31 sailboat for years that we sailed from NJ to Bermuda.
A small boat for that trip, but it got us there in fine shape!

On the Flybridge, this was desirable though I know the Cons here. My thoughts are that boating should be an outdoor sport. Enjoying the Environment and the sights and sounds of being on the water are a big part of that. Being couped up in a cabin would detract from that a bit... I'll pay a bit in weight and fuel but to me it's more than worth it. Ironically this boat is berthed next to a Bristol 35.5....a sister boat to the one I used to own. It must be a sign!

IMG_3909-vi.jpg

Good looking boat! Any word on your offer yet?

Do you have a listing link? I didn't see anything pop up on a google or yachtworld search.

Good looking boat! Any word on your offer yet?

Do you have a listing link? I didn't see anything pop up on a google or yachtworld search.

Still waiting on that. This boat was found before it was officially listed so it will likely not get to that point. I've got the inside track at this point!

You sneaky Pete! Bonus points for beating out yachtworld...

So you post up only one photo and no internet site listing, shame on you. Atleast give us one engine and a salon photo.

You sneaky Pete! Bonus points for beating out yachtworld...

So you post up only one photo and no internet site listing, shame on you. Atleast give us one engine and a salon photo.

Ha ha! Yes, timing is everything!
I don't have a lot of interior pics... The Volvo was replaced in 2002 and looks brand new.

The helm
IMG_3922-vi.jpg

Some interesting mods to this boat...A semi hard rear cover that was obviously big bucks to do originally:
IMG_3903-vi.jpg

IMG_3901-vi.jpg

And a Radar mast that you could likely hang the boat from (Needed to be hefty to support that antique Furuno 1800!)
IMG_3902-vi.jpg

Thousands of dollars in those items alone! This boat was a good find..

Woo Hoo! Offer accepted. Survey to be arranged tomorrow. We're on the way!

Keep us informed

Sincere congratulations! Hope the survey and seatrial go as well.

Ahhhh there's nothing more exciting than getting the boat of your dreams! Congrats! & when you come up to the Chesapeake, send a shout-out! Would love to say Hey!

Your Boat's got gorgeous lines, btw. A real head-turner! :)

Survey and haul scheduled for Monday the 17th.....Fingers crossed, but I don't think I'll find any surprises. My surveyor did this boat a year ago..
It was owned for years by an older gentleman who died and kept meticulous records. Sold to a local man by his widow as a sort of interim boat a year ago. Not much done to it in that time. He recently bought a big catamaran so that put it on the market.. Had an $8K bottom job done 5 years ago at a local yard. 1400 hours on the Volvo. It's all looking very good!

Last edited:
I'm excited for you! & it looks like it's going through! Keep us informed...

Thanks all! Yes, I like the rather classic lines of the CD....And they do make a nice boat. A sailing buddy of mine had a CD31 sailboat for years that we sailed from NJ to Bermuda.
A small boat for that trip, but it got us there in fine shape!

On the Flybridge, this was desirable though I know the Cons here. My thoughts are that boating should be an outdoor sport. Enjoying the Environment and the sights and sounds of being on the water are a big part of that. Being couped up in a cabin would detract from that a bit... I'll pay a bit in weight and fuel but to me it's more than worth it. Ironically this boat is berthed next to a Bristol 35.5....a sister boat to the one I used to own. It must be a sign!

IMG_3909-vi.jpg

Heron - Bravo!! Really Nice boat!!!

Regarding the bold section in your quote above... Man, I FULLY Agree!!!!

Happy Boating Daze! :thumb: - Art :speed boat:

Regarding the bold section in your quote above... Man, I FULLY Agree!!!!

I go along with Art's and Steve's assessments of a flying bridge on this type of boat. While we do not drive from our flying bridge for several reasons, we're glad the boat has one. We use it when we've arrived at our destinations, and guests enjoy riding up there when we're underway.

I think it adds a flexibility and dimension to one's boating that would be missed if the flying bridge wasn't there.

There are some boats that won't accomdate a flying bridge, or a flying bridge would really mess up the boat's aesthetics. But in the case of the Cape Dory that's the subject of this thread, I think the flying bridge is very well done aesthetically and "fits" the rest of the boat.

I also agree the boat would look nice without a flying bridge. But I don't think the installation of a flying bridge hurts the visual aesthetics at all on this particular boat.

I go along with Art's and Steve's assessments of a flying bridge on this type of boat..

I see a few of you guys "Get it!"
I'm all for enjoying the experience....:)

Good luck, she is a looker!

Heron, have u ever seen the Lyman w flybridge on her hardtop? I was looking at that before I found Starside. Think- Crab Pots on the Chesapeake! The Fly Bridge is mandatory!!!

I can't mess up my lines w Starside but I still look at Lyman's as my eventual 2nd boat (if I win the lottery, of course!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom