Seeking Information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FriendlySkies

Good Evening,

My 4-6 year goal from now is to purchase a used, but well maintained 40'ish trawler and living aboard. Although I live in the mid-Atlantic US, my job allows me unlimited flexibility in where I choose to live and would like to keep the boat in the NE United States in the summer and snow bird down south for the winter.

Here's the rub. Aside from a handful of sailing trips I have absolutely zero boating experience. I know enough not to take this lightly and would greatly appreciate any and all information you could provide leading me towards my goal. Books, online information, courses, points of contact, or suggestions on purchasing, maintaining, operating, etc ...trawlers are all welcome.

I realize my initial post is quite vague. I'm confident I will have many questions to follow.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome.

TF is full of helpful folks with a lot of experience. I'm just not one of them (experienced that is).

The best advice that I got as I was looking to move to a power boat is to charter. A charter gives you the experience of actually being on a boat. Granted it isn't the same as living on one, but you will find out quickly what being on a boat is like. You will also find what you like and don't like about different designs.

Back in the day I used to provide a lot of advice to runners. Many folks would ask how to train for a Marathon yet they had never run a race before. My first advice was always to train and race a 5k and see if they even like running! The same could be said for boating. You are contemplating living on a boat full time yet you have zero power boat experience. I would suggest that you get the training so you can charter (call some local charter companies and ask) and then spend the next couple years chartering different boats.

Apart from chartering, see if you can cadge a ride with someone with a similar boat to what your are contemplating, and also just spend time reading past threads on here. Virtually every topic has been covered, numerous times. The search function up at the top of screen can help.

Best of luck with your search, and research, and remember, that's almost the most fun part. Once you get a boat, there will be some white knuckle times, for sure...

If you are not already familiar with these, try googling "Trawler Fest" and "MTOA Rendezvous" these are gatherings of trawler and boating enthusiasts and suppliers, held in several places along the coasts. There may be one coming to your area. I believe there are some members of this forum who do boat training charters, check the "commercial Classifieds" section.
Welcome and good luck!

Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy your research.

Ted

You need some time on the water and around boaters. Chartering is certainly one option, budget permitting. But there may be others. It would help to have friends with boats (who actually use them.) Check out the Power Squadron or USCG Auxiliary. Boat clubs and marinas can be pretty friendly places, and it's possible just hanging around and asking honest questions will open some doors.

Insurance is a problem for some beginning boaters. Some insurance carriers will insist that you have a captain on board when off the dock, for a certain time frame after you buy the boat, like the first three months.
Make sure you take the boating safety course available in your area, check on the BoatUS website to find the courses. It will help in getting insurance.

Many states require you pass a test, and offer boating courses. Also might want to buy a smaller boat first in the 20 foot range that you could tow use as a dingy tender to get some boating experience and time on the water. As mentioned go to boat shows trawler fest. Also walk the docks and yards, talk to boat owner's and live a board's. As mentioned banks and insurance require a level of experience and knowledge.

We been a live a board for 18 years, we started with a 19 ft run about that we still have and used, took several boating classes, walk the docks and talked to boaters. While you have time get the basics.:flowers:

I live in NJ and have been snowbirding the last 4 years.

Plenty of ICW experience delivering boats through the years and former jobs.

Visit Avalon, NJ.....buy the pizza and beer and in a few hours you can have plenty of answers to questions. :D

Psneeld you looking for some free beer and pizza?

Insurance is a problem for some beginning boaters. Some insurance carriers will insist that you have a captain on board when off the dock, for a certain time frame after you buy the boat, like the first three months.
Make sure you take the boating safety course available in your area, check on the BoatUS website to find the courses. It will help in getting insurance.
I gathered that insurance would be an issue. I completely agree with a Captain off dock and boating courses as I fully intend to do everything possible prior to going solo. Unfortunately, purchasing a smaller boat to gain experience prior to my trawler purchase is not in the cards.

I realize the skills are not transferable but do you think insurance companies will give some deference to a novice boater who is a major airline captain with decades of experience?

Last edited:
Welcome.

TF is full of helpful folks with a lot of experience. I'm just not one of them (experienced that is).

The best advice that I got as I was looking to move to a power boat is to charter. A charter gives you the experience of actually being on a boat. Granted it isn't the same as living on one, but you will find out quickly what being on a boat is like. You will also find what you like and don't like about different designs.

Back in the day I used to provide a lot of advice to runners. Many folks would ask how to train for a Marathon yet they had never run a race before. My first advice was always to train and race a 5k and see if they even like running! The same could be said for boating. You are contemplating living on a boat full time yet you have zero power boat experience. I would suggest that you get the training so you can charter (call some local charter companies and ask) and then spend the next couple years chartering different boats.

Yes, it is a big step for me and I've got plenty of time to fill in the squares. I looked into chartering and that is an excellent idea. Thanks!

Actually your experience as an airline pilot will help a little as commercial pilots in general are a better insurance risk than say, bartenders.
Summer boating season is starting now. Walk the docks at nearby marinas and talk to trawler owners about your plan. Suggest you might be available to be a deck hand for some trips, you will get invited by someone, maybe not the first couple of inquiries, but you will get invited.

I gathered that insurance would be an issue. I completely agree with a Captain off dock and boating courses as I fully intend to do everything possible prior to going solo. Unfortunately, purchasing a smaller boat to gain experience prior to my trawler purchase is not in the cards.

I realize the skills are not transferable but do you think insurance companies will give some deference to a novice boater who is a major airline captain with decades of experience?

As a ex PPl myself, there is a huge overlap between flying and boating.lol.

Radio, crosswind landings, cruise settings, turbulence, taxi instructions, weather forecasting , low visibility navigation , fuel burn rates, trim calcs etc etc

And you even get to wear a Captains hat.

Last edited:
As a ex PPl myself, there is a huge overlap between flying and boating.lol.

Radio, crosswind landings, cruise settings, turbulence, taxi instructions, weather forecasting , low visibility navigation , fuel burn rates, trim calcs etc etc

And you even get to wear a Captains hat.

Definitely an overlap but insurers are more form oriented, so they won't value it toward operating a boat. What they will do is consider it toward your personal background and insurability and toward your ability to learn quickly. So they look at the overall you for your general worthiness to be insured, but they still look at experience with a boat.

I've boated for decades and am a certified USPS safe boating instructor & vessel safety examiner... :speed boat:

Do you think any insurers would cover me if I decide to take up flying????:confused: :eek:

Sorry - couldn't resist :hide:

I think airline captain experience will pull some weight with insurers. Much of aircraft stuff applies to marine. Not 100% overlap, but a good bit. Like the other poster suggested, better than a bartender.

When I went for my first marine policy, I went applied as a mechanical engineer, diesel mechanic and I also had built the boat. The agent had seen the boat while it was being constructed. Policy written with no conditions. Street cred of what ever flavor matters.

But to the OP, do get some time with experienced cap's or owner/operators.

I am now a very experienced vessel operator. Put me in an airplane, and my knowledge gaps will be quite apparent!!!.

Lot's of good advice here for sure. I can share that the insurance thing is a very big deal. Two issues, we're on a 26 year old boat - that limited the number of carriers severely. Next, even though I've had 50+ years boating the Great Lakes, because I never owned a large vessel - their requirements were very strict about captain training. I got lucky that we were referred to a quality guy who was very patient and did an awesome job with me and the admiral.

I would also suggest the Power Squadron training classes. They are cheap or free depending on the local unit. You will get exposed to a lot of the challenges a large boat owner will have to deal with, including safety and navigation. Well worth the time.

Lot's of good advice here for sure. I can share that the insurance thing is a very big deal. Two issues, we're on a 26 year old boat - that limited the number of carriers severely. Next, even though I've had 50+ years boating the Great Lakes, because I never owned a large vessel - their requirements were very strict about captain training. I got lucky that we were referred to a quality guy who was very patient and did an awesome job with me and the admiral.

I would also suggest the Power Squadron training classes. They are cheap or free depending on the local unit. You will get exposed to a lot of the challenges a large boat owner will have to deal with, including safety and navigation. Well worth the time.

We didn't have 50+ years, because we don't have 50+ years of life yet, but had a lifetime of lake boating. I think it's good they required some training before we took off in a larger boat across the gulf stream. We would have gone for the training regardless.

:thumb::thumb: Absolutely agree - best buy in boating education - many different courses and just you pay for materials.
Many Squadrons are now doing on the water courses as well.

A + is you will add a network of similar minded folks to draw from.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom