Sailboat Owner-Switching to Dark Side-LOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TTonMia

My name is Tom, I own/live aboard a 1980 Bristol 40 sloop, in SW Florida. I'm going halvsies on an antique '64 Penbo 40 twin screw-apparently one of a kind, as they were built to order and this one was the only twin made. My Bristol is very limited-in my area/marina-by her virtual 6' draft.

Anyway, aside from all the nay-saying about wooden boats, the fact that the Lehmans are original equipment and the limited 110v circuitry, the old girl has been well maintained, hauled out yearly and cruised regularly to the Caribbean/weekend fishing jaunts far out into the Gulf-both previous owners are serious boat dudes who are going in on 70' er.

Information about the Penobscot Boat Works is very limited, not even a Wikipedia listing. I'm not looking for advice about buying "Salty"-I live among plenty of experienced cruisers, both sail and steam, so advice abounds-I'm not new to boating. I would like any info y'all might share about maintaining a wooden hull for what I expect to be a five year ownership and anything about the history of Penobscot Boat Works.

Thanks, fair winds and following seas!

I owned a 1964 27' ChrisCraft Constellation. It was carvel planked mahogany and I still love the looks and and great utility of those boats. I found it was imperative to keep it well maintained as to keeping rain water out of the boat. Rain/fresh water getting in all the little cracks/crevices and staying wet causes rot and can be a bear to keep ahead of especially in a wet warm climate like the Texas and Florida Gulf Coast.

Kevin

While I am not a fan of wooden boats, she or a similar one sure is pretty.

So two thoughts:

Even though you probably aren't paying that much, I would hire a wooden boat surveyor to check out the structure thoroughly. The difference between a well maintained wooden boat and one that is not is a lot.

Then along those same lines after you buy keep up with the caulking, painting and replacement of rotted wood. If you don't after five years it will be worth half of what you paid for it.

David

Back
Top Bottom