Puget Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lon W

Vessel Name
Pending rename
Vessel Make
Prairie 36
New member here with some questions. We sold our 34 Californian last year after 12 years of mostly happy times. We then had a wild hair and found a Hunter 260 trailerable sailboat. As you all probably know, downsizing is tough ! While the Hunter is a fun weekender, we miss our trawler. Sooooo, here we are looking for a 38-44 ft'er and wonder where the older Puget trawlers were made. As the name may suggest, probably the Seattle area, but have yet to verify. Some scuttlebutt of CHB ? I see several on this site are owners of such beauties, and hope to get some first hand info. There is a nice 44 listed in Olympia.
Our plan, after the wife retires in June, is to cruise the Pacific Northwest like many of you have done or are now doing. This great site looks to be a wealth of info and thanks in advance.
Fillet and release !

Welcome to the Trawler Forum! Good luck with your search. The PG owners will be with you shortly I am sure!

Blue and Michelle

Welcome to the forum and back to the dark side!

Ted

There is an archived article in Passagemaker Magazine that, in about 1998, explored the origins of many different named Taiwan built trawlers. Puget Trawler was among them. The gist of the is the article is: There were many builders in Taiwan from mid 70s to mid 80s. Some put out a very good product, some not so much.
Several hull molds were used by more than one builder, Marine Trader is a good example of that practice. I have seen several Puget Trawlers looking like the same boat as Taiwan builds with other names.
After this much time has passed. only the good ones have survived. When you find one that you like, don't be seduced by its name. Get it properly surveyed so that you know what you are getting and welcome back to trawlering.

We have a C&L 44 also. We bought it as is (good or bad). She is heavy, good looking, needs TLC. We just finished installing a new Blue Sea Panel on her & I am working on the decks. She moves solid in high winds & I like her! Good luck on your search, welcome to the forum. Lots of folks here that are not shy in sharing their know-how.

Back
Top Bottom