Old 03-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

City: SF Bay Area
SF Bay Area powerboating lesson recommendations?

Hi all,

I am a complete beginner interested in taking powerboating lessons in the SF Bay Area. I eventually want to be able to charter or own a boat and go on extended cruising trips with my family.

Can anyone recommend a good school in the SF Bay Area? I am currently looking at Club Nautique, and they look great, but I want to know if there is anyone else I should research.

Thank you!

-nightlyrats
nightlyrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I went through the Club Nautique courses 15 years ago and they were outstanding. You had to take them to qualify for various levels of boat and allowed cruising grounds. We had done a bunch of on and off boating over our lifetimes, mostly rental but did own a 32' Tolly for awhile, been through a few CGAux and Power Squadron classes, and I was surprised at how much I learned that was invaluable. A couple of the courses including night time navigation, overnight cruises and anchoring.

Back then they had a complete flotilla of all types of Mainship from 30' singles all the way to the 430 twin, with boats in Alameda, Sausalito, Coyote Point, and one down in Oxnard. I think they have a much smaller power fleet fleet now, and only in Alameda. But if the classes, which were 80%+ on-the-water, and instructors are anywhere near as good as they were back then, very highly recommended.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I went through the Club Nautique courses 15 years ago and they were outstanding. You had to take them to qualify for various levels of boat and allowed cruising grounds. We had done a bunch of on and off boating over our lifetimes, mostly rental but did own a 32' Tolly for awhile, been through a few CGAux and Power Squadron classes, and I was surprised at how much I learned that was invaluable. A couple of the courses including night time navigation, overnight cruises and anchoring.

Back then they had a complete flotilla of all types of Mainship from 30' singles all the way to the 430 twin, with boats in Alameda, Sausalito, Coyote Point, and one down in Oxnard. I think they have a much smaller power fleet fleet now, and only in Alameda. But if the classes, which were 80%+ on-the-water, and instructors are anywhere near as good as they were back then, very highly recommended.
Thank you, caltexflanc!

It's very helpful to hear about your experience. It sounds like Club Nautique has scaled down their fleet since you were there, but they still have a lot of great classes including the ones that you mentioned. If I can have an experience like you had, I will be very happy!

I actually haven't been able to find any other powerboating schools in the area that offer lessons for people without their own boat, so unless anybody else has any suggestions, I might not need to shop around.

Thanks again for the insight. I'd love to hear more about your powerboating journey if you'd like to share!

-nightlyrats
Old 03-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #4

City: Merced CA
Vessel Name: none
Vessel Model: pipe dream
Nightly,
It's not in the Bay Area, but if you're adventuresome and don't mind the travel you might check with NW Explorations in Bellingham, WA.
About two years ago I was getting back into boating after a multi-decade absence. I wanted to refresh my skills. Signed up for a three day, two night instruction cruise with NWE. you go out with a knowledgeable instructor and up to five other students on a three day cruise in the San Juans--you really get a lot of hands-on experience handling a Grand Banks--usually a 49. Students may be looking for refresher or brand new to boating.
For what I needed it was perfect and I'd recommend this company. You might give them a call to see if what they offer meets your needs.
Kind regards,
Dawdler
Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawdler View Post
Nightly,
It's not in the Bay Area, but if you're adventuresome and don't mind the travel you might check with NW Explorations in Bellingham, WA.
About two years ago I was getting back into boating after a multi-decade absence. I wanted to refresh my skills. Signed up for a three day, two night instruction cruise with NWE. you go out with a knowledgeable instructor and up to five other students on a three day cruise in the San Juans--you really get a lot of hands-on experience handling a Grand Banks--usually a 49. Students may be looking for refresher or brand new to boating.
For what I needed it was perfect and I'd recommend this company. You might give them a call to see if what they offer meets your needs.
Kind regards,
Dawdler
Thank you for the recommendation, Dawdler! Explorations sounds great, and the type of lesson you describe sounds like a fun way to jump right in. I'll definitely check them out!

I see that you're also in the Bay Area. Great to meet so many local people on this site. I'll be keeping an eye out for local events, so maybe I'll see you around.

Thanks again for the hospitality,

-nightlyrats
Old 03-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #6

City: Merced CA
Vessel Name: none
Vessel Model: pipe dream
Yes, Look forward to meeting you. Live in the San Joaquin Valley but keep the boat in Sausalito. Stay in touch and good luck!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Somewhat ironically, my suite of classes and subsequent experience from Club Nautique is what allowed us to qualify for bareboat charter of a 49 Grand banks from what is now NWE. In fact, Brian Pemberton's own boat, Deception, which was in the fleet at the time. Super guy and always a great experience with NWE.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlyrats View Post
Hi all,

I am a complete beginner interested in taking powerboating lessons in the SF Bay Area. I eventually want to be able to charter or own a boat and go on extended cruising trips with my family.

Can anyone recommend a good school in the SF Bay Area? I am currently looking at Club Nautique, and they look great, but I want to know if there is anyone else I should research.

Thank you!

-nightlyrats
Have you looked at the local coast guard classes? They are all classroom classes, but they cover tons of information.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote