Old 10-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Austin
Vessel Name: S/V Frimi
Vessel Model: West Wight Potter
potter yachter endeavoring to sail with the wife

I have sailed a West Wight Potter 19, for nigh on twenty years. Now I'm closing on retirement. I want to sail the great loop, and down the Caribbean Archipelago. I also don't want to do it alone, want to take the wife who is from some fancy place out west. Camping for her is when she goes to a hotel without room service.

So I'm planning to upgrade, to something motorized, roomier and more comfortable than a Potter.

Seeking guidance, hope to find a boat acceptable to her I can afford. I'd like to get a trailerable, although that may not be big enough. We had an Ericson 32 when we lived in Antigua, she like it but thought it a little cramped.

She says our budget will be $50,000 US. I'm thinking of Used rather than new.

I know about buying cheap and all that entails, I once bought a boat in Guam, after looking at it for five minutes. I found the motor wasn't working and finding a replacement while in Guam was going to be expensive. Fortunately I sold it quickly to some other poor soul.

So here I am, thanks for having me.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
New would likely cost a half-million or so. Fifty K will get you an expensive work project.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "I'm thinking of Used rather than new." Good plan.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sailing with wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
New would likely cost a half-million or so. Fifty K will get you an expensive work project.
Yes I've read the horror stories, seen the sad unfinished projects. I know whats comming.

My Potter, I bought new, since it was the least expensive sail boat with a cabin I could find $13,000 in 1997. Now they go for 24-28K.

But I don't want to sell the house or get a huge mortgage.

I've already bought two old sail boats. I needed to overhaul the motor on the Ericson, but didn't...came to regret it. I did however arrive safely in the States sailing her from Antigua.

The Japanese boat in Guam, well I didn't get the time to fix her.

The problem will be finding a good condition older boat on a trailer in my target price range. But I have a little time before I can buy so I'll be careful.

In the meantime I'll sail the Potter. Outboard motor, sails fine in 2 knots of wind up to about 25 knots.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Buy her a silk hammock and just go...
Old 10-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There's Willard Vega 30 Horizon for sale in Rockport TX, on craigslist and ebay current bid is $1,250. Since its 15,000 lbs, this brings to mind the need for a tow vehicle. Should I buy that now, then I'll be ready to get the boat when I've found her.
Ford 350 $56,000 new (ouch)! Is it OK to get one used, but then they're likely to be VERY used. My first vehicle was a commercial Van with 120K miles on it. Had to overhaul the engine, lost a bearing driving from Texas to Chicago mmmm.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 88. MY advice is buy the boat then the vehicle. If you acquire a boat and haven't a vehicle yet and you need to tow it, you can always rent a tow vehicle. There are a LOT more trucks around than boats especially YOUR boat. Cart before the horse etc...

Old 10-12-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
$50,000 for gassers can get you a useable used boat up to about 38 ft like an older Carver, Bayliner and Tollycraft.

In diesel, you can get up to about 34 ft for the more affordable models like CHB and other Taiwan trawlers and Californians (US built). My 34 Californian with twin diesels, 2 staterooms, single head with separate shower would probably sell for $40-50,000 today in turnkey condition.

For very general planning purposes, figure on $10K per year to insure, store, operate, repair and slowly improve. The first couple years may very well be more, depending on condition and upgrades needed.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:25 PM   #9

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Hmmmm.... If it were me I'd trade in the wife and then buy whatever boat that strikes my fancy. Just Sayin'
Old 10-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #10
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
Hmmmm.... If it were me I'd trade in the wife and then buy whatever boat that strikes my fancy. Just Sayin'
We thought you already used your wife as the down payment on a duck!
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
We thought you already used your wife as the down payment on a duck!
Not married... and I plan to keep it that way for the foreseeable future. Plenty of sand on the beach for me to enjoy a great life without being married!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not married... and I plan to keep it that way for the foreseeable future. Plenty of sand on the beach for me to enjoy a great life without being married!
Yeah, with an attitude like that its no surprised. I had a job in Antigua once, and an Ericson 32. Wanting to avoid any possibility of a hurricane, I decided I sail back to the US in February. Unfortunately I was laid off in October.

I sent the wife and kid back to the states, since they don't sail well. I remember that Christmas and new years on the boat alone not a happy one. It was nice that I was on my boat, sleeping in the marina each night, but sad that I wasn't with my family.

I left her, for a while to take a job in Guam, when that didn't work out I came back, mostly because I missed my wife. Hence I've decided to stick with her for a little longer and try to find a way to accommodate her while still getting what I want, to be on the water and seeing as much of the world as I can with my wife in my boat.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Yeah, with an attitude like that its no surprised. I had a job in Antigua once, and an Ericson 32. Wanting to avoid any possibility of a hurricane, I decided I sail back to the US in February. Unfortunately I was laid off in October.

I sent the wife and kid back to the states, since they don't sail well. I remember that Christmas and new years on the boat alone not a happy one. It was nice that I was on my boat, sleeping in the marina each night, but sad that I wasn't with my family.

I left her, for a while to take a job in Guam, when that didn't work out I came back, mostly because I missed my wife. Hence I've decided to stick with her for a little longer and try to find a way to accommodate her while still getting what I want, to be on the water and seeing as much of the world as I can with my wife in my boat.
It appears you missed the big grin emoticon () at the end of my first comment (#9) in this thread. My comment was meant to be humorous and not taken seriously.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
If you have not already done so you might want to read over a recent thread in General Discussion called Best Value in a Trailerable Trawler. There are a number of posts in that thread that might help you put together a list of potential candidates.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
It appears you missed the big grin emoticon () at the end of my first comment (#9) in this thread. My comment was meant to be humorous and not taken seriously.
Sorry for being so insensitive. The only one I really understand is the

I have thought of just chucking it all. Leaving her and getting on the potter and sailing off, but the fact that I'd miss her and all she does for me and the pleasures of doing for her, is what keeps me here.

I will try to be less sensitive in the future. These posts live forever, you know.

Thanks for all the good advice.

BTW she was looking at 60 footers last night, two showers and staterooms, OH LORD!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:41 AM   #16
FF
Guru

The hassle is wanting to do two very different trips with the SAME boat.

The loop can be run in most anything you can be comfortable on , a 25 ft outboard or IO with a cabin that suits you would be fine.Should cost $5,000 or less not $50,000

A sailboat will require a tiny mast or it talen down which sucks.

Docking a 30ft boat with a 40 ft mast in 100 locks is asling for problems.

Finish the loop in FL, your old IO wont be worth much as up north , but the sailboat to run the Carib will be quite cheap, perhaps 1/2 of its northern price.

Florida Mariner is on line , look at the prices. A fine 40 fter should have the room and speed for the trip , and there are some in the $25,000 range.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
A sailboat will require a tiny mast or it taken down which sucks.
I was looking at motor sailers, thinking I like the idea, but the boat would need to have a tabernacle and a electric winch up forward for raising and lowering the mast as well as the anchor.

Something like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Docking a 30ft boat with a 40 ft mast in 100 locks is asking for problems.
I motored my Ericson through the Florida canal system and Lake OkeeChobee, I had little problem. The only hassle was the bridges.

But thanks
Old 10-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #18
Guru

City: Trenton
You should look into a 34' Marine Trader. Plenty were made and they are available in any condition and price range. It will feel like a palace compared to a Potter. It will also feel nice when you dock her and walk back into your house. Good luck!
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
It will also feel nice when you dock her and walk back into your house. Good luck!
I'm sure the wife would like their looks, but the 11.5 foot beam would require me to get a load permit ($210.00 in Texas cheaper than marina rent, but daunting all the same) whenever I move it from the house to the water, not to mention the height would mean I couldn't drive under any bridges on the way to the water, which is doable to the Lake but to the Intracostal, OH BOY.

Since I don't want to ask her to give up her house, I'm really looking for something I can park in my back yard,up to thirty feet and no higher than 14' on the trailer, that I can pull with maybe a F350. But I also want not to feel too much like camping when on the water.

But thanks for the advice, that is a beautiful boat.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #20
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post

Since I don't want to ask her to give up her house, I'm really looking for something I can park in my back yard,up to thirty feet and no higher than 14' on the trailer, that I can pull with maybe a F350. But I also want not to feel too much like camping when on the water.
Anything you can trailer will likely feel like camping. Sounds like she won't be happy with that scenario. As suggested, look at larger boats...Plenty out there in your range in various conditions...