Permission to come aboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPMacV

Vessel Name
Half Moon Too
Vessel Make
22' Devlin Surf Scoter
New guy here. I'm Dave and I recently scratched a long time itch, with the purchase of a 1989 22' Sam Devlin Surf Scoter. I first saw an article about Sam and his boats in a copy of "Small Boat Journal" magazine in 1990. Fell in love with the boat and ordered a set of plans two years later. But as it often does, life got in the way and the boat never did get built. I got a lot of dreams out of those plans over the years. That alone was worth every penny.

Fast forward to 2013. Searching Craigslist and lo and behold, a Scoter for sale in Niagara Falls. Never having seen one in person, a 300 mile drive seemed reasonable. It was everything I'd ever dreamed of and more. Needed some work and sorting out but it has been a total labor of love. I've taken several month long cruises so far and the boat never fails to amaze me.

Take care.

Dave

Attachments

• DSCF6259 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF6259 - Copy.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCF6261 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF6261 - Copy.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 115
Terrific looking trawler! I love it!

She looks great, enjoy her!

what is your burn rate and speed?

Welcome aboard! It's tradition to start with a detailed conversation about your anchor...

Terry,

1 gallon per hour at 2800 RPM's gives about 6 knots. I've seen her do 8 knots going downhill, I was afraid that I was going to tear out the bottom. She is a stout little boat though and inspires much confidence in her abilities.

Really spiffy vessel!! Welcome aboard!

The smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure.

She looks like a great adventure.

I don't see the need to talk about burn rates or anchors as the OP didn't mention any problem w either.

I'd much rather hear about his several long trips. He's already out there runn'in all over the place. Burn rates and speed appears to be a non-issue to me. Who cares if he does these long trips at 6 knots, 12, or 24 knots?

One of the best cruises of my life was w a 17' OB cruiser.

Eric,

Here is a link to a mini-cruise I took last year. July 4, 2015 New York harbor. The "Half Moon Too" is shown from about 49 seconds on. A whole bunch of fun in a small package.

New guy here. I'm Dave and I recently scratched a long time itch, with the purchase of a 1989 22' Sam Devlin Surf Scoter. I first saw an article about Sam and his boats in a copy of "Small Boat Journal" magazine in 1990. Fell in love with the boat and ordered a set of plans two years later. But as it often does, life got in the way and the boat never did get built. I got a lot of dreams out of those plans over the years. That alone was worth every penny.

Fast forward to 2013. Searching Craigslist and lo and behold, a Scoter for sale in Niagara Falls. Never having seen one in person, a 300 mile drive seemed reasonable. It was everything I'd ever dreamed of and more. Needed some work and sorting out but it has been a total labor of love. I've taken several month long cruises so far and the boat never fails to amaze me.

Take care.

Dave

Welcome Dave,

Niiiceeee boat, lot's of character. There are a lot of experienced guys here, you will learn a ton ... :) enjoy ..... Frank B.

I don't see the need to talk about burn rates or anchors as the OP didn't mention any problem w either.

I'd much rather hear about his several long trips. He's already out there runn'in all over the place. Burn rates and speed appears to be a non-issue to me. Who cares if he does these long trips at 6 knots, 12, or 24 knots?

One of the best cruises of my life was w a 17' OB cruiser.

Eric- note the smiley on the anchor post. Relax- all is well. :)

Devlins are built just South of us, in Tumwater Wa. Beautiful boats and very well thought out. Several years ago we were invited on board a 42 ft trawler and it almost made me rethink owning a wood boat. Congratulations on finding your dream boat.

Peter I'm fine but I don't see any smiley. Oh now I see it. This i-pad can't even walk at times.

Not usually into smileys as some mask acidic posts and think it's justified by adding the smile. It's the words that count.

I do love to see more smaller boats like this and hope our TF conversations go in that direction too. I just like smaller boats .. smaller than mine actually.

Porman I lusted over that 42 as well.

Last edited:
Dave, permission to come aboard granted. Only a few show up with a nice trawler like yours. More pics would be appreciated.

Nice boat, good looks and OB as well.
Welcome

Ted

Dave, you have found yourself one great boat. May you have many happy voyages. Please do feel free to tell us all about your adventures. Welcome aboard!

Ken

While not overly concerned with traditions...

23 years in the USCG did leave a few....

I like the permission to come aboard reference.

I am amazed at how many treat even a liveaboard boat as a bow rider and just jump aboard.

Even though most of us arent the owner(s) of the forum so asking is cool but...we be the wrong people....:D

As far as what people ask or post...some here think what they think is the only important or correct post. :rolleyes:

I had to start the bad boy club (sub group of members) just to have some fun and remind too many that for gosh sakes...there is no right way to do almost anything in life...so take a deep breath and join in and have some fun.:thumb:

Walt,
Is your i-pad worse than mine?

DPMacV. That is a very nice boat. I understand about your desire to build since I have looked at Devlins and also plans for HH Payson,but it is a huge commitment. Congrats on finding your perfect boat!

Love the color of your sail!

Since I have taken over stewardship of the boat, I have spent ninety-seven days cruising. Seven trips, from two days (NYC Fourth of July) to thirty-three days (Cos Cob, CT to Marthas Vineyard and return). Four trips on the Chesapeake Bay with the longest being twenty-seven days. Thanks to all for the warm reception.

Regards.

Dave

Some interior photos:

Attachments

• DSCF2312.jpg
    DSCF2312.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF2160.jpg
    DSCF2160.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 70

Latest posts

Back