Old 08-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #1

City: Orange Co., CA
Another Newbie

I found this forum as result of looking for a local (SoCal) trawler to which I could drag my sailor buddy to try to interest him in the type. We both are long time sailboaters who have achieved enough longevity to need a change. As result, I've become quite interested in trawlers myself.
Briefly, I and my wife built, equipped and lived aboard and cruised a 32" Westsail hull for most of the '70s and '80s. We finally sold it after 20 years or so...life presented other options to pursue. That was now 20 yrs ago. Now, I'm appreciative of the expansive views and comfort available in a trawler, not to mention the vastly increased interior/storage volume. Reading through the postings, I wonder how we ever got along without the various internet fora as a source of information. This one especially is quite amazing in it's depth of knowledge and, I might add, it's civility. Very refreshing.

Ralph
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Welcome, many many trawler owners are former sailors.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, welcome aboard. I too had two yachts before we decided we wanted more room, and for it to be less labour intensive. But we all retain that nostalgia for the feel of being under canvas...
All credit to you for building your own, and living aboard what is a quite small vessel.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Welcome aboard. As Bay Pelican said, many of us are former sailors who, as we are getting older, have moved to the relative comfort of a trawler. Gotta say that I do miss the simplicity of a sailboat, though, whenever something goes wrong (roughly at least once each day!).

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Ralph:

Welcome aboard! I don't post much on here, but this forum is an excellent resource and very good at answering questions.

We too came from sailboats. We moved to powerboats when I shattered my elbow at the same time that my daughter was born.

The biggest change is that we can go 7kts for hours at a time, not just for those few minutes where the wind and sails are tuned just right. :-)

For the sailing fix, I'm building a 10' dinghy in my garage that will have a sail rig hooked up. It'll be the main tender for the trawler once complete.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #6

City: Orange Co., CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Yes, welcome aboard. I too had two yachts before we decided we wanted more room, and for it to be less labour intensive. But we all retain that nostalgia for the feel of being under canvas...
All credit to you for building your own, and living aboard what is a quite small vessel.
Pete,
32" is not very big however, the boat has 11" beam and displaces 20,000lbs which makes it quite voluminous for its 32"LOA. What it doesn't have is lazarette storage being a double-ender. One of our main reasons to sell was that after 20 yrs of local cruising, one gets a bit tired of motoring to Catalina Is. which is really the only place to go. SoCal has great weather but not many places to enjoy it that aren't very crowded.
Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote