Old 04-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

City: urbanna va
Vessel Name: knothome II
Vessel Model: pearson 43/portsmouth 1973
pearson 43 trawler

1973 pearson 43 trawler:

I just purchased and will try to upgrade and make new after adding A/C. Does anyone have a area where I can purchase parts for the boat, IE port holes and other items, also does anyone have operating books, since there was a solar panel set up on top of upper deck. Has anyone gone to the bahams in this boat? its big, but shallow and flat bottom?

Any help would be appreciated.

regards

grant.
grantma7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Pearson is long gone and maybe some of their OEM parts suppliers as well. The portlights may be particularly tough. Try to find a manufacturer's label embossed on it.

New Found Metals has a line of SS and bronze portlights in various sizes and shapes: round and rectangular. They may have something to match.

Maybe you will get lucky and the portlights were made by someone still in business like Bomar. Check Defender.com for what is available.

Most other hardware parts were either fabricated specifically for the boat, like hand rails that any good boat yard can duplicate or they were generic and a similar replacement will fit. Again check Defender on line.

Can you post a picture? I couldn't find any Pearson power boats on Yachtworld near that size.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Pearson is long gone and maybe some of their OEM parts suppliers as well. The portlights may be particularly tough. Try to find a manufacturer's label embossed on it.

New Found Metals has a line of SS and bronze portlights in various sizes and shapes: round and rectangular. They may have something to match.

Maybe you will get lucky and the portlights were made by someone still in business like Bomar. Check Defender.com for what is available.

Most other hardware parts were either fabricated specifically for the boat, like hand rails that any good boat yard can duplicate or they were generic and a similar replacement will fit. Again check Defender on line.

Can you post a picture? I couldn't find any Pearson power boats on Yachtworld near that size.

David
its a 43 foot pearson, trawler.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #4
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
There are quite a few on the south shore of Long Island
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I wouldn't hesitate to do a crossing to the Bahamas in a P 43, just pick your wx.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:30 AM   #6

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

David

thanks for the help, any would be better then no help. Have a great day.

grant
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
There are quite a few on the south shore of Long Island

That is what I am looking for, hoping to get up with a group who have these and can give some advice.

Thank you very much.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:50 AM   #8

you said the p 43, is there a sailboat that size, or is this about going to the bahamas on my trawler. It is wide over 14 foot, and about 40 long. need to find friends to go for a ride with me, and go to florida and NJ run.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #9

just a quick note. When I worked for my company, years ago, and graduated from night school, my first job was working at Palatka, building a power plant. I lived in st Augustine and loved that city. I will definitely go there the first chance I get, hope its still as beautiful as it ws back in the 80's. remember the lion bridge and the fort, my favorite places.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #10

City: Lynbrook, NY
Vessel Name: Grey Ghost
Vessel Model: Seapiper 35
Hi Grant,
Congrats on your purchase. I have the 1971 version of that boat here on LI. I had approached another member of this site about purchasing her, but logistics for him didn't work. I have since decided to keep the boat and am hoping to bring her down to my home in FL the end of June or early July. If that doesn't work, sometime in late Sept or Oct.

What engines and generator(if you have one) are on your boat? I have manuals for the Perkins 6.3544T including parts list, and manual for westerbeke 12.5BTD generator and parts list on board. I'll be back in NY the week of 5/3-5/13 to do final prep for launching.

As far as the Bahamas are concerned, this boat has a very flat bottom, only a 5degree transom deadrise. Not the best sea boat. I did take her from Toms River, NJ to East Rockaway, NY but the seas were only 2-3. That was no problem. Anything more, well probably not too comfortable.

chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #11

chiropaul

chiropaul, thanks for the information,I heard from someone else about the sea ability of this boat, not going to go across the sea, but it is a great boat to run up and down the chesapeke and I'm going to try a run across the delaware river gap to south jersey. Hope its ok to do something like that. have two diesels, john deeres, run good and when we took it up the rappahank river, it ran like a charm. So now wondering if you live in NY, how do the others feel about the sea ability of this boat? And it has a flat bottom, but not going to try to go out in a storm.

Lets keep up and let me know what the pro's and cons are.

And I would think that the boat owners of this boat could tell us some stories and hope that some of the stories aren't all bad

regards

grant.\
Old 04-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #12

chiropaul

when you decide to come down to florida on the boat, stop by Urbanna, Va. great town, great marina, bridge marina and great people. I plan to and a little hesitant now to make that trip to NJ, but I'm sure that someone would have stopped this boat if it was a danger and not just uncomfortable to run ad higher then 3 feet waves.

Hope to see you and I will be back to urbanna around the 20th of june, hope to see you.

Grant
1973 pearson
Old 04-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #13

Pearson 43 trawler

Hi Grant,
I don't think you'll have any difficulties running down Delaware bay to Cape May if the weather is settled. As I said in an earlier post, I ran the boat in the Atlantic from Manasquan Inlet to East Rockaway Inlet on the south shore of Long Island. We were in 2-3's and the boat handled just fine. I would say anything over 3-4 and it would be uncomfortable , but probably not dangerous. The issue for me is the air intakes to the engine room are very low compared to most boats and taking any water on the aft quarters could conceivably enter those vents.

I don't know anyone else here in NY with one of these boats. I did look at one that was in awful condition a couple of years ago, and there was another one somewhere here on LI a few years back as well.

I met a guy from MTOA who lives nearby here in FL who said he was available to make the trip with me. Haven't been able to reach him recently, so now investigating hiring a captain to come along with me. Hopefully want to head down end of June-beginning of July before hurricane season gets really going.

I'm attaching a few pictures of my boat here.
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0681.jpg   IMG_0680.jpg   IMG_0694.jpg   IMG_0683.jpg  

Old 04-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #14

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
pearson 43 trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantma7 View Post
just a quick note. When I worked for my company, years ago, and graduated from night school, my first job was working at Palatka, building a power plant. I lived in st Augustine and loved that city. I will definitely go there the first chance I get, hope its still as beautiful as it ws back in the 80's. remember the lion bridge and the fort, my favorite places.

It is.

Among other things, the Bridge of Lions was completely rebuilt a few years ago to original design. Still just two lanes.
It may be better than you remember, though a bit more crowded.
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Salted View Post
It is.

Among other things, the Bridge of Lions was completely rebuilt a few years ago to original design. Still just two lanes.
It may be better than you remember, though a bit more crowded.

Try to work this site, tried to put pictures on site, but guess they didn't take. What is the secret? And do you know where I can get a operation book? have a lot of info on the boat, that we don't know where it comes from or go's. thanks
Old 05-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #16

sailer.

You stated that you would go to the bahamas, except for bad weather in a pearson 43, were you refering to the p 43 trawler or the sail boat? I have heard from some people that the flat bottom would be dangerous, with 4 to 5 foot waves. Are you saying that your talking about the trawler? which would make me feel much better.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiropaul View Post
Hi Grant,
I don't think you'll have any difficulties running down Delaware bay to Cape May if the weather is settled. As I said in an earlier post, I ran the boat in the Atlantic from Manasquan Inlet to East Rockaway Inlet on the south shore of Long Island. We were in 2-3's and the boat handled just fine. I would say anything over 3-4 and it would be uncomfortable , but probably not dangerous. The issue for me is the air intakes to the engine room are very low compared to most boats and taking any water on the aft quarters could conceivably enter those vents.

I don't know anyone else here in NY with one of these boats. I did look at one that was in awful condition a couple of years ago, and there was another one somewhere here on LI a few years back as well.

I met a guy from MTOA who lives nearby here in FL who said he was available to make the trip with me. Haven't been able to reach him recently, so now investigating hiring a captain to come along with me. Hopefully want to head down end of June-beginning of July before hurricane season gets really going.

I'm attaching a few pictures of my boat here.
Paul
paul, how did you put the pictures on your site?
Old 05-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #18

Grant, don't use the quick reply button, use the post reply at end of your message. When that open you will see a little paper clip image on the top line. When you click on that another page will open that lets you browse your computer files to pick the image you want. Each image has to be done separately.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Marina del Rey
Vessel Name: Fortunate Sun
Vessel Model: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
Hi Grant, not sure about your boat specifically, but I've been able to source a few parts for my '82 GB through Perko https://www.perko.com/ I suspect many boats of that era used parts from Perko. Good luck!
R lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #20

City: Mystic
My Pearson sailboat has ports made by Beckson and they are still in business. Might be worth a look.
Rkfitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson trawler