Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Peculiar
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Most all sailboats have engines, known as auxiliary sailboats. But then again, sailboats tend to be low and dark.
I've been looking at an Endeavour 32' sloop that's well within my budget. The boat has solar panels and wind generator as well as fuel powered.

scurvy-yard-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Welcome aboard, from one photographer (mostly nature) to another
Thanks Murray. I don't do much nature photography but I hope to change that. I'm more set up for portraiture and portfolio development.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Boating ain't cheap. -- of course you may or may not have that ongoing cost if you buy the boat with cash.

If we didn't love it so much we'd never tolerate this money hemorrhage.
I'm just one person and once I get comfortable with going out of the marina, I'm pretty sure I could be just as happy living on the hook. Because of my line of work, along with fine neighbors, I'm pretty sure I'd have plenty to keep me company and if I get bored... I can always take a nap.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvy-yard-dog View Post
Thanks Murray. I don't do much nature photography but I hope to change that. I'm more set up for portraiture and portfolio development.
Portraiture? You're a braver man than I!!! (Trees don't have ego's)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #25
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Like most folks here, you can spend as much as you want, and then brag that you can. Or you can do it on the cheap and have as much or probably MORE fun. YMMV
I'd guestimate the division of high spenders to low spenders on TF: Approx. 60 to 40 %. What's your guess... anybody??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
syd

What type of initial boat-purchase budget are you planning to spend?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:14 PM   #27
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I'd guestimate the division of high spenders to low spenders on TF: Approx. 60 to 40 %. What's your guess... anybody??
90% to 10%, but it totally depends on your point of reference
Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Like most folks here, you can spend as much as you want, and then brag that you can. Or you can do it on the cheap and have as much or probably MORE fun. YMMV
I can only do this one way and that's the cheapest way. I don't want to jeopardize anyone's safety but I don't need 'things' for the sake of having them. I want to simplify my life.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #29
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Old and Decrepit

In your position I'd consider a sailboat over a powerboat if I felt comfortable with the interior size. I think you'll find it cheaper to buy, run and maintain. It'll take you longer to get places....but that's the trade off. Well one of them anyway.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Portraiture? You're a braver man than I!!! (Trees don't have ego's)
I don't really face a lot of big egos but I may have to start charging for my 'counseling services'.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
You might find a good buy on a motor sailor. Good luck, and welcome to the 10%
Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
syd

What type of initial boat-purchase budget are you planning to spend?
I'd like to be around $20k to $30k. I have a little wiggle room for an exceptional find.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #33

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
A 70's vintage motorsailer would be an economical purchase if it surveys well. If you're on a budget, the survey is critical. You won't be the guy throwing money at every unknown that pops up, just at the few that do. There's a rule of thumb about adding 10% above the purchase price for the unknowns but that can be a quite low figure in the real world.
I'm your age and still self employed and will be for the foreseeable future. I have to stay in a marina most of the time to be able to get out there and work.
My costs are $440/mo. for dock fee plus kw for electric but I do have free cable, water and wifi. I also have two pools, a hot tub, mailing address, tiki bar and restaurant (which you probably wouldn't need) but for waterfront property it's reasonable to me. (and I don't have to mow grass) They also let me store my equipment here at no charge which is a real advantage.
Anyway, in a hot summer month, my total cost here is $625/month. We cook a lot on the Magna grill. Those little propane bottles add up. You could go with a larger tank and save a few but we haven't yet. Then again you need ground transport to get your 20 pound tank refilled. We keep a vehicle at the marina so we have transportation because sometimes we are far away on a job and have to fly back to get home and not spend all our time off driving.
In conclusion, find the best boat you can for the dollars your spending
AND GET A GOOD SURVEY.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
You might find a good buy on a motor sailor. Good luck, and welcome to the 10%
Thanks. It appears that there are a lot of friendly, well rounded people on here, regardless of net worth. Hopefully I'll end up meeting a lot of them down the road.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #35
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
It's very easy to end up with an older boat that becomes a money pit. Be careful, and worst case sell it and then swap for a different one before you spend too much and can't. Don't get attached. In my experience a used boat that's been sitting will have more hidden issues than one which is routinely used. But in any event when you're closer to that purchase point there's much advice many people here can give about it.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
A 70's vintage motorsailer would be an economical purchase if it surveys well. If you're on a budget, the survey is critical. You won't be the guy throwing money at every unknown that pops up, just at the few that do. There's a rule of thumb about adding 10% above the purchase price for the unknowns but that can be a quite low figure in the real world.
I'm your age and still self employed and will be for the foreseeable future. I have to stay in a marina most of the time to be able to get out there and work.
My costs are $440/mo. for dock fee plus kw for electric but I do have free cable, water and wifi. I also have two pools, a hot tub, mailing address, tiki bar and restaurant (which you probably wouldn't need) but for waterfront property it's reasonable to me. (and I don't have to mow grass) They also let me store my equipment here at no charge which is a real advantage.
Anyway, in a hot summer month, my total cost here is $625/month. We cook a lot on the Magna grill. Those little propane bottles add up. You could go with a larger tank and save a few but we haven't yet. Then again you need ground transport to get your 20 pound tank refilled. We keep a vehicle at the marina so we have transportation because sometimes we are far away on a job and have to fly back to get home and not spend all our time off driving.
In conclusion, find the best boat you can for the dollars your spending
AND GET A GOOD SURVEY.
Hey Deano..... I just received a survey on an Endeavour 32' sloop that I liked. I told the guy that i wanted it more to see what it was all about and that a purchase would be dependent on the sale of my house, which isn't even listed yet but will meet with realtor next week.

He was kind enough to send me a copy along with additional info that wasn't on the listing. It's really a nice boat from what I can tell, which isn't a whole lot.

What marina are you in? I have a pickup that I'll keep around for ground transportation.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #37

It's a little off topic but No Mast, that's a beautiful boat you have.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
It's very easy to end up with an older boat that becomes a money pit. Be careful, and worst case sell it and then swap for a different one before you spend too much and can't. Don't get attached. In my experience a used boat that's been sitting will have more hidden issues than one which is routinely used. But in any event when you're closer to that purchase point there's much advice many people here can give about it.
I chuckled at your suggestion not to get attached. That won't be a problem. :so cool:

I'm prepared to have it hauled out and a current survey done. The boat I've been looking at just had one back in August of last year.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #39

One caution, don't get the survey from the owner or broker. Get your own and do your own research as to who you wan't to use. This forum is a good source for that. Anyway, to answer your original question, I'm in Marina Cove in St. Pete.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
It's a little off topic but No Mast, that's a beautiful boat you have.
You both have awesome boats. My last boat was a 14' kayak.