Old 01-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

City: Ketchikan
Oil changing adapter

Hi to all, I’m new to your forum, and new to the yachting world. I have very recently purchased a 1988 42’ CHB Europa. Today marks my second oil change for the main and gen. The boat came with very little owners manuals or other info, specifically, I would like to install a drain plug to facilitate my routine oil changing. Does anybody know what the thread count is for my 225 hp turbo engine?. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff Updike
Jeff Updike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
what engine ?
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
what engine ?
Ford Lehman 225 turbo
Old 01-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #4

Ford Lehman 225 turbo
Old 01-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #5

City: Washington
It's uncommon to have room under a boat's engine for a drain plug. Most of the time you have to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. I do on my engine.

If you actually have a plug for oil changing in your oil pan, just unscrew it and take it to a place where you can buy a plug to replace it with. Or just use what you removed.

BTW: You may be able to download manuals for your boat's systems and components from the Internet.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Guru

someone installed a hose from the drain plug hole and a pump on my 135 .it is the easiest boat oil change I have ever done .I think American diesel may sell the hose .and it gets more oil out than the dipstick way
Old 01-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
Guru

is a 225 just a turbo 135?
http://americandieselcorp.com/lehman...hp-new-owners/
Old 01-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have Lehman SP225s in our boat. It came with a petcock type shut off on the oil pan and a hose that comes off the shutoff valve. I hook up a small Jabsco pump to the hose and put the discharge into a 5 gallon bucket. It pumps it all out in a couple of minutes. The SP225s take 22 quarts of oil so you don’t want to go through the dipstick. Have you looked to see if you have a shutoff valve installed? You may have one or if not call Brian at American Diesel. He can fix up up with anything you need except the intercooler, it is no longer available. 804-435-3107
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Any place that makes up hydraulic hoses can match the thread of the existing plug. My engines all have a short hose and then a ball valve going into permanent plumbing. Hose needs to be for engine oil.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #10

Thanks, great idea.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
It's uncommon to have room under a boat's engine for a drain plug. Most of the time you have to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. I do on my engine.

If you actually have a plug for oil changing in your oil pan, just unscrew it and take it to a place where you can buy a plug to replace it with. Or just use what you removed.

BTW: You may be able to download manuals for your boat's systems and components from the Internet.
Not uncommon to be able to do it, just that it is usually not factory. Many people dont do it as they have mechs come suck it out at winterization and its tbeir annual oil change.

But quite a few heavy users of their boats go with the drain plug adapter to an oil change system like reverso.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote