Newbies in every sense of the word...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shantyhag

Veteran Member
Good Day, All,

My wife, VeniceSeaShell (she will undoubtedly be joining soon as well), and I, have been lurking around this excellent site for some weeks now.

In the last 6 weeks or so we have begun taking steps to downsize our lives and transition to a full time live-aboard lifestyle. We are in the bare beginnings of this transition and are, in the truest sense of the word, newbies. We know little about boats other than we love them. My greatest experiences are limited to racing hobie-cats on Lake Michigan in high school and my grandfather's lake-bound ski boat. My wife's first hand experience includes a trip in a rented two-man dinghy along the coast of Catalina island while eight months pregnant and a week-long cruise aboard a Carnival behemoth. She has taken to reading everything she can get ahold of and our Kindle cloud is now consumed with books about on-board living, both in dock and at sea.

We have gained much insight from our reading here, and I want to thank everyone for the breadth of the knowledge contained on this site. I probably would have continued lurking for awhile but I read a rather excellent suggestion from one of the members regarding the wealth of information available in the archives. To wit, they said something to the effect that the previous eight years of posting were going to be more valuable than the next eight years because many subjects had been covered ad nauseum before and veteran members were reluctant to recommit themselves to these topics.

So, this brings me to my question: how does one access the archive? Every time I try, both before and after registering, the 'archive' link takes me to a site map that seems to cover the present but not so much the past. Am I incorrect about this? Is the archive simply set up in such a way that it mimics the current site? Even when I try to alter the web address to /archive it redirects me to the site map.

Again, many thanks to all that have contributed to the forums that we've had the opportunity to peruse. I'm certain that, as we gain more knowledge, we will both begin jumping in and asking more questions.

Sincerely,
Shantyhag

Welcome. It should be a fun adventure for you. I'm sure a moderator will chime in, but there are somethings a newbie is restricted from until a certain amount of posts. That way the mods can be certain that spammers don't get on the site.

When permitted you can use the search function in the red bar near the top of the page. Also go to FAQ to read how to get around the forum. Have at it, and enjoy.

To wit, they said something to the effect that the previous eight years of posting were going to be more valuable than the next eight years because many subjects had been covered ad nauseum before and veteran members were reluctant to recommit themselves to these topics.

Well I'm not so sure about that ;)

So, this brings me to my question: how does one access the archive?

The "archive" per se is the forum itself. At some point in the future we may need to begin archiving threads but for now the forum is its own archive. As Moonstruck said above the red bar at the top of every page is your friend. Precious few regular members see the value of it unfortunately as there are many features of this software that allow almost complete customization of how you use and view this site.

There are no restrictions of anyone using the search feature, no membership required at all to do that. However our search is kinda wimpy so I recommend trying our custom Google search feature as I find it far superior.

https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=015066045223804731395:zptj-edvjcy

Welcome aboard Shantyhag.
I`ve not seen reluctance of old hands to contribute when "everything old is new again". Some might even have their old posts ready to go on "speed dial".
Worry not, you will get the help you want.

Hi there, and welcome aboard :)

Try clicking on 'Search', then on 'Advanced search', then under 'Keyword(s)', choose 'Search Titles Only', then type in your subject.

That's the best way I've found to narrow things down to specific topics. There might be a slight chance however, minuscule really, that even threads with laser focused titles could wander a bit ;)

Welcome aboard

Thanks to all...

Thank you, all, for some great advice and for the grand welcome. We're going to keep searching through the forums and I appreciate all of the insight on how to get the most out of what is here.

We look forward to getting to know you all better through this forum and keeping you apprised on our own progress. As I've said, we've already learned a ton.

Thanks again,

Shanty

Shanty, welcome aboard. I'm a relative newbie on TF myself, and joined here to gain from the collective wisdom of the members. It has worked well as I've found there is a lot of knowledge on here and it's openly and eagerly shared.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom