Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #1

City: Mystic
Newbie from Mystic

Hi, after a lifetime of sailing I have bowed to my beloved's wishes and I'm moving to the motor side. I just bought an '81 Atlantic 44 in Portsmouth, Va and will be moving it to Mystic, Ct. next week. It's an old boat and the engines haven't been used much the last few years, so what could go wrong? Anyway, with any luck I'm heading up the Chesapeake and down the Delaware to Cape May, and I'm not familiar with the area. Could anyone recommend good marinas or anchorages along the way and at Cape May? Also, when I get a good window to go from Cape May to New York Harbor I'm thinking I can do the run in one shot since if the seas are good I could cruise at 12 kts, which is almost twice what I'm used to doing. Is this reasonable or should I stop along the way?

Thanks,
Rob
Rkfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Welcome.

Rob
Old 04-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Guru

Where in Mystic? I'm at Gwenmor marina, or at least I will be by Memorial Day.
Chesapeake City (at the Chessy end of the C&D canal) has a nice small anchoring hole.
I've anchored in Cape May (hated it) and have stayed at Utch's marina loved it).
Good luck getting a bid weather window this time of year. Personally I would not plan on that. I'd run off the coast and spend a night at Atlantic Highlands, then you can make Mystic from there IF the currents are in your favor or neutral.
You can always stop in at Mattituck inlet (north shore Long Island)for the night (anchorage basin at the end of the creek).
Happy cruising.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #4

Hi! I'm at Fort Rachel. Thanks for the advice! As it turned out the window in front of the lower station hasn't been replaced yet (broken a few weeks ago by a stray bullet) so I'm spending the week on board in Portsmouth Va. going over all of the systems. At this point I think I'll wait another month.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkfitz View Post
Hi! I'm at Fort Rachel. Thanks for the advice! As it turned out the window in front of the lower station hasn't been replaced yet (broken a few weeks ago by a stray bullet) so I'm spending the week on board in Portsmouth Va. going over all of the systems. At this point I think I'll wait another month.

Stray bullet?!!!!

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
I second that thought..... STRAY BULLET?!!! WTF

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Having delved into OTDE recently, I`m surprised anyone is surprised.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Good luck with your new boat. We made the run from VA to MI 2 years ago. Stopped in Annapolis, lots of marinas to choose from, and then stopped overnight on the C&D Canal in Bear, DE. Marina was ok but nothing great. Then travelled to Cape May and stayed 3 nights at Utsch’s Marina. Enjoyed it although the weather was bad which is why we stayed 3 nights. Then to Atlantic City don’t remember the marina. Next stop was Manasquan, NJ for 2 nights and left my wife’s appendix there. From Manasquan we ran a long day to Croton on Hudson. The Manasquan marina was nice but the wakes were huge and unremitting along with the current so I would not really recommend it but it was our only choice due to timing and the medical reason. We were running mostly about 11 knots. Not the most efficient speed but we wanted to get through the Erie Canal and wanted to have extra time to wait out any flooding conditions and had a couple of minor delays on the Erie due to flooding.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:00 AM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Sounds like you prefer anchorages. So here are a few suggestions:

Chesapeake City basin- anchor or you may be able to snag a spot on the free dock

Cape May- Sunset Lake, a protected anchorage a couple of miles NE of the inlet. The USCG anchorage is horrible as others have noted.

At 12 kts you should be able to get around NJ in one shot. Then anchor at Atlantic Highlands behind the breakwater or if you are making good time, anchor in Statue of Liberty Park in a very protected anchorage.

Then you should be able to make Mystic in another long leg. Don't worry about what people say about Hell's Gate. Any trawler that can make 12 kts won't have any problem with the current, only slow sailboats will.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:03 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Welcome to TF
Old 04-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Welcome aboard!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Stray bullet?!!!!
Yea, my thought too.
Holy krap Batman, might be time to move the boat to a different marina or anchor out further.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #13

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Welcome!

I second sunset lake at Cape May; you'll see when you motor through the canal, the rest of the marinas are a total zoo. Be careful when getting into sunset lake - it's shallow! The deepest spot is a hole near the very back. Google maps coordinates: 38.972, -74.845. The 'intracoasta' through Jersey is ridiculous; so many boats, shallows, and curves - head out to the open water if it isn't bad weather.

We cruised from there through New York and the East River to Port Washington in one day, no problems at 8.5 knots. They have free town moorings, it's well protected, and there is a launch service to bring you in to the town - highly recommended: Google maps coordinates: 40.832, -73.705
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #14

Yup. Apparently someone fired a shot straight up into the air and it came down into the window. Kind of explains the barbed wire fence around the marina.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #15

Thanks for the welcomes, and for the great advice! My ground tackle isn't what I'd like yet so I'll duck into a marina when I can. I've been on the East River on my sailboat (woo hoo! 9 knots, I can't believe we're going this fast!) and I suppose I'm still a slave to my Eldridge, so I'll probably go with the current. In the past 5 days Kathy and I have pulled off around 3,000 lbs. of free parting gifts the p.o. left aboard for us. That was fun, lots of stuff from the 80's and 90's. I have a data marine depth sounder from 1981 with a digital readout that appears to be vacuum tube filaments! It can't decide what the depth is so I get to see all the numbers. I'll have to take that apart. Oh, and I have loran at both stations! I do have to say, living aboard this week I am astounded by the creature comforts. One day I will admit to Kathy that she was right about moving from an SV to an MY and I was less right, but not today. Well, back to work.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
I do have to say, living aboard this week I am astounded by the creature comforts. One day I will admit to Kathy that she was right about moving from an SV to an MY and I was less right, but not today. Well, back to work.
Rkfitz, the sooner you hold your wife in your arms, give her a kiss and admit she was was totally correct about moving to a MV, the happier she will be and then the happier you will be. WINK WINK

And the more you can spend upgrading the navigation electronics, for her safety. LOL
Old 04-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #17

Hey old Dan! You were right! Lately seems like everyone is more right than me.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Hey old Dan! You were right! Lately seems like everyone is more right than me.
Rkfitz, I should have preface my recommendation by saying, I have 3 ex-wives so what do I know?
Pick your 'fights' wisely and try to pick only those 'fights' you know you can win. Yea right, suuuuuure.