Newbie Here From Ohio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyr

Hello,
Gary from Ohio here...Thanks for letting me in.
Not boat owners yet but narrowing down the search.
The Wife is on board for maybe living on our find. The loop maybe?? Travel in general!
Pretty much narrowed the field down to maybe a 38 footer with a single diesel engine.
I have been a maintenance mechanic and tinkerer, all of my life so upkeep and repairs/upgrades are kind of second nature here. I hold a US Patent so i am not a total idiot, or am I.
A question, hopefully not too foolish, has been nagging at me.
We are going to have to have some sort of land transportation. My thought is either mopeds or older honda 90's.
On an Albin or Marine Trader or others with a mast, can that horizontal arm(I am sure it has a correct name) be used as a hoist for maybe 120 pounds to swing the bike over to the dock or seawall?
It appears to me that if a swivel were fashioned for the lower arm that that arm could then be used as a cherry picker of sorts?? My be rotateable already. IF Feasible, how much weight, roughly, could one lift? assuming you had enough pulleys to make it an easy lift.

Thanks in advance for any response and if this is a stupid question well just consider the source.

Welcome Gary.

That arm is called a boom. In most cases on a trawler type yacht, its primary purpose is to lift a dinghy onto a boat deck. So yes, it would live your bikes. Some boats have electric cranes for the purpose instead of a mast and boom.

Great question, but it does demonstrate maybe your lack of experience with boats? I fully support your dreams and ideas of possibly living aboard. However, you may want to get some experience with cruising on boats before jumping in. If you can find a way to charter some boats for a couple weeks at a time you will learn a lot about what type of boat may meet your needs and some of the realities of living on one.

Hi Gary, Welcome to the forum! Lots of people use the mast and boom to launch dinghies and lift stuff to and from the dock. Should be capable of several hundred pounds.

The search feature here will take you to lots of past threads on most any subject. Lots of good information.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom