Newbie here, looking to switch over to a Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave-col

Vessel Name
Moon Shadow
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350/390
Hello there, my wife and I have been sailing Lake Superior for years and now ready to try something different...Trawler Living / Retire. Looking to sell our Catalina 36 Sailboat and buy a 36-38 ? foot Trawler. HELP ! Advice? thanks. Dave.

Welcome to the TF and best of luck on your new adventure

Welcome!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. "...ready to try something different...". Not meaning to criticize you on your first post but shouldn't that be "ready to try something better."? Good Move Mr. D.

Welcome, and I agree with Bill, if you have no trawler experience, charter to get a feel. Also trawlerfest is a decent opportunity to see many different manufacturers together; even if a model you're interested in isn't there you can see differences in design and build philosophies among builders. At least it was helpful for us when we were searching.

Welcome aboard, also if you happen to be in the area of TFers ask to see their boat. You're bound to get a lot of opinions as well ;)

And please do realize that there are about 5 posts a day just like this. So that is why you are not getting much response. Stick around. Get familiar with the surroundings. DO a little reading and use that search tool. And then come back with some questions that are a bit more specific. Your questions are extremely broad and general and really don't give us anything to go on!!

Welcome Aboard!!!!

OK, after a lot of researching Trawlers I am even more confused on a brand. I like a lot of the features of the Mainship 390. I would like a single engine, Lehman diesel.( I hear the Cat. Engines have some problems) maybe a John Deere or Volvo. Somewhere around 2 GPH. I like the sedan model vs the aft cabin. I like the stairs to the upper deck vs a ladder. Fresh water boat preferred. And the search continues! That's where I'm at so far, and enjoying it! Any and all advise is appreciated, thanks, Dave

Greetings,
Mr. D. Don't get too fixated/hung-up on "brands"at this point. You and the mrs. should sit down with a good bottle of wine as the sun sets relax and each make a list of wants, like to haves, don't wants. Do NOT discuss as you're compiling your separate lists. At some point, exchange lists, still without discussion. After some period of time discuss each item and place it on a "master" list. THEN, try to narrow down the plethora of vessels available and see which ones meet most of the items on the "master" list. Keep in mind the order of items may change and you may have to suffer through many sunsets BUT at some point, the boat will find you.

Great advice as always RT :). A sedan is certainly a smart set up. And much easier on the knees! I believe the Lehmans petered out around the early 90's? So depending on the age of the vessel you end up- you may have to consider other engine choices. Cat 3114 or 3116 would begin around early 90's I think. Honestly, there's not many of the engine choices out there that would not be a great choice if maintained and used regularly during its life. Have you handled most of the repairs on your sailboat??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Although the time when Lehmans were fitted has passed, don`t be discouraged from buying a Lehman powered boat, the long lived engines are well supported with parts and advice, by American Diesel, and for cooling system parts by others as well.

I have owned a single engine trawler and twin engine trawler. Twins are much better. With twins, you can pivot just about in the boats length. With a single with practice, you might be able to do a 180 turn in 3 boat lengths. With a single, if your primary fuel filter shuts down, you anchor. With twins you can go about your way on one engine until it is convenient to change filters. With your Catalina, your sails are your back up. On a trawler a second engine is your back up unless you have a single than your anchor is your back up.

I dunno about the three-lengths for the single to do a 180. Using the back and fill method, I can spin my boat in pretty much its own length. It must be true cuz I had to turn my boat at the end of a canal to park, and I only had 47 ft. beween boats on either side. Twins would have been nice though.

Back
Top Bottom