Newbie not new in boating.
Hi to all.
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Welcome aboard! What ever you do don't ask about anchors! You'll start a thread that will never end. The answer is always the same, your anchor's too small, it's the wrong kind, and you don't have enough chain.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:26 AM   #3

City: Bay Area CA
Vessel Name: Tango
Vessel Model: Nordlund Boat Co - 1978 Custom 53 Pilothouse
Welcome Pilou. Since you already know boating, and I shouldn't ask about anchors, then how about, which is best, 2 engines or single screw?

Oh wait, I might have already seen another thread about that one. Nevermind!
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:20 AM   #4
Guru

City: .
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Welcome Pilou. Since you already know boating, and I shouldn't ask about anchors, then how about, which is best, 2 engines or single screw?

Oh wait, I might have already seen another thread about that one. Nevermind!
Hi CraigC
Thanks for welcome. I prefer twins with bow thruster but it could be another endless topic
Best wishes
P.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:01 AM   #5

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
Welcome aboard
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Newbie not new in boating.
Hi to all.
Welcome Pilou. I gather you're in France, but maybe not actually native French. If you are you do English well.

Anyway, we always love to see some pics of your boat, and also, as a moderator, might I make a plea for you to fill out some detail in your profile, which many new members sadly fail to do, and if not done early, never seems to get done.

Cheers,
Old 08-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome aboard TF.
Tell us a little about your boat and cruising style.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjorgenson3 View Post
Welcome aboard
Thank you. Alaskan and Grand Banks are first cousins, isn't it ?

Best wishes

P.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Welcome Pilou. I gather you're in France, but maybe not actually native French. If you are you do English well.

Anyway, we always love to see some pics of your boat, and also, as a moderator, might I make a plea for you to fill out some detail in your profile, which many new members sadly fail to do, and if not done early, never seems to get done.

Cheers,
Hi Pete

I was honored to be welcomed by a moderator, thanks for this and the compliment on my English which was greatly appreciated. Good to see I passed the test, so far.

I had lost the old belief know as the French have the limited English language capability then I'm sorry if it may surprise you I'm a native French also my family since centuries.

I'm glad you did stress the importance for each to fulfill his obligations. As for me please be assured that I will fill out details in my profile as my journey in the forum moves forward and goes well.

Bons vœux

P.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
So then welcome from a second moderator. :-) We are pleased to have you with us. (Contrary to popular belief, all of us moderators are really nice people, as well as avid boaters). We hope to hear more from you. Sometimes we get a welcome message from someone checking in for the first time. And then . . . they seem to drop off the face of the earth. I think that perhaps newcomers think that if they are not experts, then they should not chime in. Well, none of us are experts. But the community mind is. So chime in.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome Pilou. :-)

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
So then welcome from a second moderator. :-) We are pleased to have you with us. (Contrary to popular belief, all of us moderators are really nice people, as well as avid boaters). We hope to hear more from you. Sometimes we get a welcome message from someone checking in for the first time. And then . . . they seem to drop off the face of the earth. I think that perhaps newcomers think that if they are not experts, then they should not chime in. Well, none of us are experts. But the community mind is. So chime in.

Wow..... 2 "cops" welcomes in 1 day ! Thanks for the guard of honour, I'm blushing ! (Don't feel offended, this was humor...).

John, I am very aware that common beliefs (all kinds of...) die hard. But I do not understand why you would say that about the moderators team which is a topic I have not brought up in MY previous posts. I trust everyone here is friendly, respectful, and pulls together for the greater satisfaction of this forum.

But since you pointed out the topic, let me say a final word about this, in my own opinion only. Even thought I'm a newbie over here, my professional background of (pharmacies) companies owner and manager, my duties at the European Union, my humble volunteer experience in different clubs and groups as well, have told me that the main priority of managers, staff members, mods, is not about to be nice, it's to be just and equitable. The job is not about to be loved, it's about to be valued and respected, at least in my view.

Even though I believe everyone has their own reasons in the dialogue of life, Pete, John, I'm sorry some members never filled out their profiles or dropped "off the face to the earth". But having say that, this is not my problem and concern. I signed in a forum of boaters, not in a human resource forum. Then please let me start my journey over here and share my passion with other people. Or if there is a problem, please be honest and just let me know.

Thank you.

P.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Welcome aboard! What ever you do don't ask about anchors! You'll start a thread that will never end. The answer is always the same, your anchor's too small, it's the wrong kind, and you don't have enough chain.

Quite frankly I'm amused the way your brought this. Thank you.

The adventures and experiences at the anchor are unique, different points of view in anchoring are enriching.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the video of the boat, Pilou. Beautiful trawler! I am envious!
Old 08-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the video of the boat, Pilou. Beautiful trawler! I am envious!
You are welcome John. Thanks for your very nice message.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not quite sure why she cannot post the video of the boat. Try this and see if it works.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #17
TF Site Team

Quote:
I'm not quite sure why she cannot post the video of the boat. Try this and see if it works.
It's the automatic block to people putting up live links until they have made a certain minimum number of posts, John. In effect, to prove they are bone fide members, and to try to block pure spammers. So nothing personal, just practical. However, yes, you will be fine doing that.

Oh, wow, yes, lovely boat. However, now Pilou has blown her cover as truly French, I will find it hard to resist practising my French on her, like I do with our friend Bugster, in New Caledonia, as I try to prepare for our next visit to Europe to visit family in London, and the unfinished business of wanting to see more of France.

Je t'avais prévenu Pilou...
Old 08-13-2016, 12:40 AM   #18

City: Bay Area CA
Vessel Name: Tango
Vessel Model: Nordlund Boat Co - 1978 Custom 53 Pilothouse
Mierde! (French for "darn," someone told me.) That's one heck of a nicely appointed yacht. I will work to get my boat (when I get one) looking, maybe slightly, like that... If i can get halfway there I will be thrilled. At least on the inside, especially the fabrics (les fabriques?). I can't speak French but, dang, that's a gorgeous (supere?) boat. I would need a new job though, to be able to afford that kind of a refit. I will go to EU's web site and see if they are hiring! Hope I could telecommute.

Pete, was there ever a "Boat Shopping" sub-forum here? I have always used those for cars. Maybe trawlers are too obscure to warrant that, though.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:05 AM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Welcome

Gaston
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:54 AM   #20
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

Pete, was there ever a "Boat Shopping" sub-forum here? I have always used those for cars. Maybe trawlers are too obscure to warrant that, though.
Well, there is the 'Classifieds' section. Does that count..?