Views:	29
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	56026  

Pilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:40 AM   #43

City: Sanary
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42'
Yacht Shemara / one million man-hour rebuild project

Antibes, yesterday 3:45 PM local time, meeting with a 78-year-old passionate love affair between men and the sea, always taken up as time goes by : "Madame" SHEMARA.

From Boat International Magazine / 16 January 2015 by Tim Thomas:
"Superyacht Shemara: the 65m classic motor yacht is restored to her former glory.
The 65-metre superyacht Shemara has been successfully relaunched after a three-year, one million man-hour rebuild project. Originally launched by JL Thornycroft in the UK in 1938, the classic motor yacht Shemara led a colourful life in the public spotlight under her original owners, industrialist Sir Bernard Docker and his wife Lady Norah. Sold at the end of the 1960s, her second owner cruised her for a short period before berthing her in Lowestoft, UK, where she remained largely forgotten for the better part of three decades. Her third owner saw her in the pages of Boat International magazine in 2007, went to see her and instantly fell in love. It was the start of a seven-year journey to bring her back to her former glory.

Shemara was towed to Portsmouth, UK, and hauled out in October 2010. Her new owner set up Shemara Refit LLP to be run by friend and business partner Peter Morton, who then set about recruiting naval architects from BAE along with several subcontractor companies, including Burgess Marine for the mechanical and structural elements, SEC Marine for the electrical installation, Design Unlimited for the GA and Studioilsa for interior design. The ensuing project – lasting three and a half years and taking one million man hours – has seen her reconfigured, refreshed, and largely rebuilt. The result is stunning, retaining her original character but with far superior spaces both on deck and within, and with all mod cons added – including a Rolls-Royce diesel-electric drive train with twin azimuthing pods aft instead of conventional shafts.

As one of the largest private yachts in existence when launched, Shemara epitomised the glamorous lifestyle of the rich and famous. Restoring her to her former glory would prove to be a serious undertaking, but the rebuild has been done sympathetically, retaining the elegance and charm of the original both inside and out while reconfiguring the interior and deck spaces for modern living".

Don't miss more at : Superyacht Shemara: the 65m classic motor yacht is restored to her former glory | Boat International

Best,

Pilou.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	56051   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	56052   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	56053   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	56054   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	56055  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	56056   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	56057  
Old 09-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
A beautiful old dame of the sea , indeed, Pilou. What a stern. Sensuous even..?
Old 09-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
A beautiful old dame of the sea , indeed, Pilou. What a stern. Sensuous even..?
Merci Pierre.
Yes, a sensuous even in which the love of the sea and boats takes all her mystical value.

Pilou
Old 09-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #46

Super yacht Dilbar in Antibes

Today.
512', Dilbar is the world's largest superyacht by volume.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6538.jpg
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	56591  
Old 09-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #47
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Yacht Dilbar - Fact Sheet
Yacht Name: Dilbar
Yacht Length: 157 m (512 ft)
Guests: 40 in 20 cabins (est)
Crew: 80+ in 35 cabins (est)
Yacht Value: US$ 600 million
Owners Name: Alisher Usmanov
Usmanov Net Worth: US$ 13 billion
Owners Company: Metalloinvest
Owners Country: Russia
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #48
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Yacht Dilbar - Fact Sheet
Yacht Name: Dilbar
Yacht Length: 157 m (512 ft)
Guests: 40 in 20 cabins (est)
Crew: 80+ in 35 cabins (est)
Yacht Value: US$ 600 million
Owners Name: Alisher Usmanov
Usmanov Net Worth: US$ 13 billion
Owners Company: Metalloinvest
Owners Country: Russia
It makes me kind of ask, "Why?".

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I.
You missed the costs of dredging to deepen the harbor for the new Dilbar and of the consolidation of the South East dike & the South West dock where she is moored
Old 09-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Even if Alicher Usmanov is a sea & long range cruising lover of renown, I can't answer the question about the "Why ?" but I'm sure that many local companies like the relevant suppliers, the providers of services aboard, the engineering and contractor companies that dredged the harbor, and their employees, are very happy :-).
Old 09-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #51

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Was that pic taken in Rhodes? Is that the harbor that was deepened for Dilbar? That looks like a Knights Hospatelier structure in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
McGillicuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Was that pic taken in Rhodes? Is that the harbor that was deepened for Dilbar? That looks like a Knights Hospatelier structure in the background.

No , I took that pic yesterday Friday September 23th (right now it's Saturday 24th in France) in Antibes (homeport of Dilbar) going out with my boat for the weekend.
Structures in the background are the old lighthouse of Antibes and the tower of Pablo Picasso's museum.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #53

Geo tag
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fichier 24-09-2016 00 34 38.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	56614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fichier 24-09-2016 00 38 51.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	56616  
Old 09-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #54

Pilou, you live in a very nice neighborhood. 🤓

Old 09-24-2016, 03:03 AM   #55
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
The term "kind of"... is an understatement in this instance.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
The term "kind of"... is an understatement in this instance.
Art, guess what ? Before having had taken delivery of his (new) Dilbar in May 2016, Alisher Usmanov had a 361' Lurssen named Dilbar (named after his mother).

The previous Dilbar is now named Ona, but stil owned by Alicher Usmanov.

After my meeting yesterday afternoon with (new) Dilbar in the port of Antibes, meeting this morning with Ona (former Dilbar), on her way to the dock of the International Yacht Club of Antibes, I took 2 pics.

Cheers

P.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fichier 24-09-2016 21 43 08.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	56677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6626.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	56678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6630.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	56679  
Old 09-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Pilou, you live in a very nice neighborhood. 🤓

Thanks MG. You are living in a very nice area of the US which is offering many possibilities of great sailings in the Gulf of Mexico from Texas (love Galveston) to Florida.

Louisiana especially "Nouvelle Orléans" is very special to the French. Here we have a nice saying for the French visiting the US. "No matter where in America you go, New Orleans is always a part of you".

About the Picasso Museum in Antibes (pic attached). The Picasso Museum is in the seaside Chateau Grimaldi in the old town of Antibes, a Roman fort built upon the foundations of the ancient Greek town of Antipolis. The Chateau Grimaldi was rebuilt in the 14th century, later in 1608 the Chateau was the residence of the Grimaldi family (a branch of which still rules the Principaly of Monaco) before being turned into a town hall during the French Revolution, then in 1925 it was bought by the city of Antibes.

It is the first museum in the world to be devoted to Pablo Picasso.

In the summer of 1946, Picasso and his girlfriend Françoise Gilot left Paris and headed for Antibes. Pablo Picasso was invited to set up his studio in a part of the château, called the Grimaldi Museum at the time. At the end of his stay, he left the city 23 paintings and 44 drawings, including the famous work Joie de Vivre. On December 27, 1966, in homage to the artist, the Grimaldi Château became the Picasso Museum.

Today, you can admire about 245 of the artist's works as well paintings and sculptures by other modern and contemporary artists such as Nicholas de Staël, Hans Hartung, Fernand Léger and Joan Miro.

Picasso himself said, 'If you want to see the Picassos from Antibes, you have to see them in Antibes'. It's an opportunity to breathe in the air and soak up the atmosphere of a place that inspired a man widely regarded as one of the greatest artists of the 20th century.

It was the same feeling that I had experienced some years ago after visiting The Salvador Dalí Museum in St Petersburg (Florida), the most comprehensive collection of Dalí's paintings outside of Europe, soak in the brilliance as you are surrounded by an unparalleled collection of more than 2,000 works of art in 20,000 square feet of gallery space.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life" (Pablo Picasso).

Please permit me to add "Art AND the sea breeze"...

Cheers

P.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MUSEUM.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	56681  
Old 09-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #58

Pilou, thank you for that explanation. Having lived in New Orleans for over 40 years now, it is really 'home' to me now as compared to Scotland where I grew up and where all my relatives are. It's a vibrant city and if you can get away from the Tourist trap of Bourbon Street, there is a lot of art, history, music and innovative food culture to be found. I know Gulf of Mexico ports like the back of my hand now and am looking forward to further flung adventures. Maybe one day Scot Free will find its way to the Med and I will be able to visit Antibes and see the Picasso museum for myself. 👍

Old 09-25-2016, 04:07 PM   #59

Quote:
Pilou, thank you for that explanation. Having lived in New Orleans for over 40 years now, it is really 'home' to me now as compared to Scotland where I grew up and where all my relatives are. It's a vibrant city and if you can get away from the Tourist trap of Bourbon Street, there is a lot of art, history, music and innovative food culture to be found. I know Gulf of Mexico ports like the back of my hand now and am looking forward to further flung adventures. Maybe one day Scot Free will find its way to the Med and I will be able to visit Antibes and see the Picasso museum for myself. ��

I have been to many places in the US - even Pearl Harbor - , more than 25 states but Louisiana, which is a place I should visit someday. "Vibrant" seems to be the best adjective for the city of New Orleans, I'm always excited to experience a new local culture especially in a place historically linked with my country.

Looking at both your screen name and your boat's it was not hard to guess you have Scottish roots. In one month from now I will be sailing from Aberdeen (North Sea) to Inverness then to Isle of Mull (Atlantic ocean) cutting through the Loch Ness.

Each sea is emotion incarnate, I trust you would enjoy to cruise the beautiful Med which is the cradle of freedom and of many civilizations. Contrary to what ignorant people believe, the French love the Americans and the British with whom we are always pleased to share our history, our culture, our stories. I would tour you to the Chateau Grimaldi / Picasso museum in Antibes, as well the Grimaldi Palace in Monaco.

SEA you.

P.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:24 PM   #60

Hi Pilou, the trip through Loch Ness and the Caledonian Canal should be awesome.. When in Mull, try to stop in Tobermory. There is a distillery there that makes Tobermory single malt which is an average to better than average whiskey but it turns to nectar if you drink it in the pub next to the distillery using a spritz of water from the same spring as the whiskey was made from.
Also, two other things to see, on the other side of the island is the monastery of St Columba who established a beach head for Christianity in the 6th century, having come over from Ireland. The monastery has been in more or less continuous use for 15 centuries. Amazing. And then if you go further offshore you will see the magnificent Fingals Cave which is sculpted by nature out of octagonal basalt rock. The cave is reported to be the inspiration for Mendelssohn for writing his Hebrides Suite.
Bon Voyage!