Old 08-13-2016, 05:45 AM   #21

City: Bay Area CA
Vessel Name: Tango
Vessel Model: Nordlund Boat Co - 1978 Custom 53 Pilothouse
Well, not really. I was more thinking along the lines of a sub-forum, central location, where people who are interested in buying a boat could learn about which builders offer which types of features and hull types, form factors, etc., and also about other need-to-know info, such as basic financing and insurance concerns, working with brokers, surveyors, the general evaluation/thought process/approaches that members advise, and other concerns... Right now you can just throw questions out there in various different (existing) sub-forums, but there doesn't seem to be a "boat shopping" or "boat buying" center on TF where members could go to pass along their learnings and experience to help others who might be able to benefit from it, in their buying efforts.

it would also enable those who might be considering selling their boat to connect with others who are on TF to get info about buying that same or similar type of trawler (or other type of boat).

The classifieds seems to have a kind of jumble of info that, while buyers could sift through various boat postings, those "boat for sale" threads are fewer and farther between than other random/misc items, and they don't always go very deep into a buyer-education mode. The individual builder sub-forums are helpful, but again kind of a mish-mash of everything, which is great for casual learning, but a lot of searching and sifting is needed, to find the information that one might be looking for.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Craig, I think what you are after would just be too difficult, but also end up duplicating a lot of what is already on record, but spread over several sections of the forum, and over lengthy periods of time. However, I suggest you think of some of the queries you might have, then try using the 'search' function up the top of the screen. If you have a burning question however, and don't find a relevant thread with the search, then post that query in the general discussion section, and you'll get plenty of help, that I can assure you.

PS, I just suggest you don't ask about anchors, or you might get more than you bargained for. You will definitely find plenty about that subject via a 'search'.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #23
Guru

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Mierde! (French for "darn," someone told me.) That's one heck of a nicely appointed yacht. I will work to get my boat (when I get one) looking, maybe slightly, like that... If i can get halfway there I will be thrilled. At least on the inside, especially the fabrics (les fabriques?). I can't speak French but, dang, that's a gorgeous (supere?) boat. I would need a new job though, to be able to afford that kind of a refit. I will go to EU's web site and see if they are hiring! Hope I could telecommute.

Pete, was there ever a "Boat Shopping" sub-forum here? I have always used those for cars. Maybe trawlers are too obscure to warrant that, though.
Thank you very much CraigC. Glad you enjoyed the video, I see you already know some of the most important French words therefore you are almost ready to work in any French territories.

With your palpable determination and your love of boats I'm pretty sure you will achieve your goal, and soon you would share pictures of your own boat moored in Sausalito or San Rafael Yacht Club.

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." Anatole France (French writer).

It works. Trust me about that.

Best wishes.

P.
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Welcome

Gaston
Thank you Gaston you live in a beautiful city where I have been twice (many years ago) on my way to and from New Caledonia after I graduated from the medicine and pharmacy college in France. At this time my uncle run a pharmacy and a medical test laboratory in Nouméa where I "cut my teeth".
Nice people there in Sydney. Good memories.
The yacht of my brother's neighbor in the port of Antibes, France.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #25
Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
It's the automatic block to people putting up live links until they have made a certain minimum number of posts, John. In effect, to prove they are bone fide members, and to try to block pure spammers. So nothing personal, just practical. However, yes, you will be fine doing that.

Oh, wow, yes, lovely boat. However, now Pilou has blown her cover as truly French, I will find it hard to resist practising my French on her, like I do with our friend Bugster, in New Caledonia, as I try to prepare for our next visit to Europe to visit family in London, and the unfinished business of wanting to see more of France.

Je t'avais prévenu Pilou...

"Je t'avais prévenu Pilou.."
Behave Pete ! I have been told from my family that some members here don't like the French...

More seriously, thanks for your "French touch" in words I liked that.

I certainly understand TF must block spammers and take security very seriously.

Sounds good to help you to practice your French, I will send PM. It will be your turn to have an entry test to learning, in a fair fitting reversal of roles.

Thank you as well for your compliments about the boat which I shall pass on to my family. When do you plan on coming to France ? It would be in your best interests to plan a visit aboard the boat here otherwise I would not hesitate at all to report you to the mods of TF, haha !
Old 08-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Mierde! (French for "darn," someone told me.) ...
Take care, close, but I`m fairly sure it`s French for "shit".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #27
Guru

"La Nouvelle Caledonie". Did I get that right? I have been there several times, it is well connected by air to Sydney via the flagship carrier, Aircalin (aka Air Calamite, according to a Mauritian born French "pied noir" friend).
Old 08-14-2016, 01:08 AM   #28
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
"La Nouvelle Caledonie". Did I get that right? I have been there several times, it is well connected by air to Sydney via the flagship carrier, Aircalin (aka Air Calamite, according to a Mauritian born French "pied noir" friend).
My one trip to Noumea was aboard the Pacific Sun cruise liner. Great trip, good place to visit. Particularly enjoyed the 'Little Yellow train' trip round the town and precincts.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:17 AM   #29
TF Site Team

Quote:
Close Bruce, too close for comfort.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:43 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Close Bruce, too close for comfort.
I wondered if it might bother the filter, clearly not.
Correct spelling is merde. According to Google it is also a cheery encouragement from one French stage performer to another, similar to the English "break a leg". Also not taken literally.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:23 AM   #31
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Well, I have to say Lutin is just gorgeous.

Grand Banks are fine boats and she is an excellent example of the marque.You should be very proud of her.

Oh, and by the way welcome aboard to the good ship Trawler Forum.

As tradition dictates that boats are usually referred to in the feminine form should she not be Lutine?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:34 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
How romantic ! You guy really knows how to smooth talk a girl !
Old 08-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #33
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Welcome to the forum! We have many of your cousins here in Louisiana, I live in Thibodaux, my wife was a Boudreaux, one son in Lafayette, the other in Baton Rouge, A few miles up Bayou Lafourche is Napoleonville etc.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Well, I have to say Lutin is just gorgeous.

Grand Banks are fine boats and she is an excellent example of the marque.You should be very proud of her.

Oh, and by the way welcome aboard to the good ship Trawler Forum.

As tradition dictates that boats are usually referred to in the feminine form should she not be Lutine?
Thank you Andy, I truly appreciate your very nice welcome and your gallantry. As I was asked by Pete and Bacchus to introduce myself and the boat I then thought I should share the video.

You brought an interesting discussion. The exact reason why ships are called “she” in the English language is lost to history. A few years ago I asked this to a friend of mine who is a USCG officer somewhere on the US West coast. Bellow you can find her response which I copy and paste from her email :

"A ship is called a she because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about; she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good-looking; it is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep; she can be all decked out; it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable. She shows her topsides, hiders her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.”

It is quite true and very funny. But having studied the Latin scholar my own opinion is the early term for a ship, specifically in Latin, was the word "navis," which was a feminine term which translates as "ship."

Pleasure boats are still called a "She" because men love them !

Which answer do you like best ?

French language has "male", "female" and sometimes "neuter" words. Even though there is a word for "Lutine" which was brought to North America by French settlers, the French mythological figure for "Lutin" is a male humanoid creature. His name emanates from the linguistic influence of Roman sea-god Neptune and Nereus (Neptune's father). Because of his small size he is well know for his mischievousness, playfulness, facetiousness, always pleasant, who cannot stand rudeness, but not exclusively. He is most well know as well for his habit of household protection including caring at sea for people aboard while in dangerous situation, in the memory of his ancestor Neptune.

Best wishes,

P.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Je t'avais prévenu Pilou...
Hi Pete

Thanks for your PM.

I sent Emails with pictures.

Best wishes

P.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Welcome to the forum! We have many of your cousins here in Louisiana, I live in Thibodaux, my wife was a Boudreaux, one son in Lafayette, the other in Baton Rouge, A few miles up Bayou Lafourche is Napoleonville etc.

Louisianans are know for their "Joie de vivre", it might be the French roots...

Here we have a nice saying for the French visiting the US. "No matter where in America you go, New Orleans is always a part of you".

I empathize with your circumstances due to severe floods and hope everyone around you is doing well.

P.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #37
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilou View Post
Hi Pete

Thanks for your PM.

I sent Emails with pictures.

Best wishes

P.
Yes, and thanks for that, Pilou. You live and boat in a beautiful part of the world. I was pleased to be able to read your email without cheating with a translator...however...my reply may take a bit longer.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Yes, and thanks for that, Pilou. You live and boat in a beautiful part of the world. I was pleased to be able to read your email without cheating with a translator...however...my reply may take a bit longer.
Not a problem. Time is free
Old 08-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #39
Guru

Paul Getty Jr's yacht.

This morning "Lutin" met Paul Getty Jr's yacht "Talitha" in Antibes.

Krupp Germaniawerft built Reveler, a Cox & Stevens design, for Packard Automobiles’ Chairman Russell Alger.

At the onset of World War II she became the USS Beaumont, a name she kept until 1947 when she was decommissioned and refitted at Bath Iron Works for the owner of the Woolworth department store chain. Woolworth then sold her to Greek shipping businessman Marias Embiricos, who kept me her for 26 years.

She got her name Jezebel from Australian film producer Robert Stigwood, her next owner, who undertook a refit that restored much of her original elegance.

But it would take yet another owner, American businessman Paul Getty, and at least one more major transformation for Talitha G to look much as she does today. In 1993, Jon Bannenberg oversaw the yacht’s interior redesign at Devonport Yachts, where new twin 1400hp Caterpillar engines were installed. Aside from time in the yard, Talitha G has been a favorite charter yacht for years. She attracted the eye of another film producer and director; before allegedly taking delivery of his own yacht, American movie director Steven Spielberg was onboard often enough to be identified at least once as the yacht’s owner, but she remains the property of the Getty family.

Cox & Stevens designs for the original Reveler are part of part of the Cox & Stevens collection at the Mystic Seaport Museum.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #40
Guru

Paul Getty Jr's yacht.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg