Old 02-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

City: spirit river

Hello Everyone,

We currently investigating living on a boat. Went fishing in Prince Rupert last spring and fell in love, I can't get the sights and sounds out of my head it reminds me so much of where I was born (South Africa).

I thought I would join the forum and learn from everyones wisdom and experience.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity.
rosemari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Welcome aboard, if you take the plunge you will not regret it. We have been aboard for about 4 1/2 years now and have no plans of dirt dwelling again.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
You have started in the right place! Follow your dream!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #6

Thank you
Old 02-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Welcome aboard, here you'll find a lot of friends and their advises
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Welcome

this is great place to start your research
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #9

City: Perth
Welcome Rosemari,
Best wishes on joining Trawler Forum from down under.
You will find endless info here, and a few characters too !!
I was in B.C. 2 years back and know the area that seduced you.
And yes- I did end up with a boat
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #10

It seems that is all I think of, now comes the big part what do I keep and what do I sell. It seems too much to comprehend. Anybody got any ideas on how I can start to tackle this?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemari View Post
It seems that is all I think of, now comes the big part what do I keep and what do I sell. It seems too much to comprehend. Anybody got any ideas on how I can start to tackle this?
The keep versus sell or dispose of is one thing I've done. For me, the deciding factor in any item was "Did I LOVE it?" and if not, it went. Gradually many of the loves became "not really" and "what was I thinking?!"

So initially, start to cherry-pick your favorites.

This is the order I used when decluttering my life:
Yes it is difficult... however if your "stuff" is not creating the home you wish to live in, then get rid of the stuff!

#1. Kitchen
#2. Bathrooms
#3. Linen Closet
#4. Bedrooms, starting with the youngest (unless you're pregnant, anything outgrown goes)
#5. Bookcases and china cabinets (if you don't love it...)
#6. Living room
#7. My bedroom (which would have been a disaster during the cleanup as I know stuff would migrate there until either put away or tossed or donated.

The garage is a whole 'nother matter. IF you've one, then boxing up stuff for there from the 1-7 items would be fine IF each day you deal with one box -- Monday thru Friday. Weekends are not for work unless you wish it so.

There... that should keep you busy for a time.

And you'll be more ready than many when you finally find that ideal boat. I wrote a series of articles about this for my website. The page is found here:

janice142 topic Becoming Clutter-Free

Seriously rosemari, you can accomplish this but take small bites. As you proceed I suspect the momentum will build. At first though, the job can be daunting. Give yourself time and know that out here (afloat) life is grand.

I am so glad I am no longer owned by my Stuff.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #12
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
We did it in a couple of stages as my wife was a little apprehensive at first. She said she would try it for a year and then decide. It has been over four years now so I think she made her decision.

Stage 1. Sold three story house and 80% of stuff and bought a mobile home in a trailer park. Cheap to buy and cheap to maintain.

Stage 2. Year and a half later sold the mobile home and got rid of another 18% of stuff. now down to 2% the original life possisions. Bought a 10' by 12' yard barn for what was left and put it at my brothers house.

Stage 3. Another year and a half later, brother sold his house. We went back and got rid of everything except three tubs of stuff (family photos and sentimental kids stuff) and put it in my parents attic.

This was not a bad approach. The fact is the boat life is not for everyone. There are a lot of people who try it and find that it is not the exciting and leisurely life that they had envisioned and end up selling the boat and going home. If there is nothing left at home this can be very disheartening. Don't cut too deep too fast. Store things that are important to you. Buy the smallest boat that you can be comfortable on and give it a go. If you are like us you will never look back, but it is nice to have options. After a year or two you can always get rid of the rest of the stuff.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #13

Today I started by getting all my Harley-Davidson collections out and pricing them. Kinda sad and excited at the same time. Just moved into this house and got everything unpacked and boxes cleared now I'm dragging boxes in again to get ready for garage sales, lol
Old 02-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #14
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Today I started by getting all my Harley-Davidson collections out and pricing them. Kinda sad and excited at the same time. Just moved into this house and got everything unpacked and boxes cleared now I'm dragging boxes in again to get ready for garage sales, lol
Garage sales are good. And there's nothing that says you cannot have a favorite HD (or more) aboard your floating home. If it brings you pleasure...

Well, let me admit up-front that I am of a certain age, and decadence works well for me. The whole idea of boating is not to see what I can do without, but rather to enjoy what I have.

Things that were critical (I thought) to my happiness quotient have changed and I suspect (hope) I'm a better person for it. I am satisfied.

Back in the Days of Acquisition, I wanted more. Now, not so much.
Not that I don't have a list of things to make Seaweed better...

All the best to you.

J, happy beyond measure: my new (custom built) manifold will be ready next Monday. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited I can hardly still my fingers!