new to the trawler world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willcocon

Although I've spent years crusin the great lakes I've never done so in a trawler. Approaching my retirement years I've been searching for "the trawler of my dreams" (and budget) for awhile. Now seriously looking at Grand Banks in the 48 to 55 ft range. Looking for the pros and cons of their fiberglass hulls with Lehman power plants.

Welcome aboard. Nice boats and reliable engines. I have SP225s in my boat.

Glass hulls and Lehman's are what you want. Make sure the decks are solid and not rotted, older Grand Banks screwed the decks down into the glass opening up potential leaking into the deck cores which can rot the core. As for the Lehman's, they're solid reliable workhorses that are naturally aspirated and mechanical, making them easy to work on and reliable: none of this modern computerized **** you can't fix yourself. They're basically old tractor motors that run forever. They don't have any of the modern emissions craps so they smoke a little when cold as they don't self regulate like a modern engine, but who cares; they're simple and reliable and easy to find parts for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom