New to Trawler forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BSN

Vessel Name
Both Sides Now
Vessel Make
Albin 36
Hi All,
We are newbys to trawlers and would like to be able to give as we can info and also ask questions of other owners.
We purchased a 1985 Albin 36 Trawler ( Both Sides Now) in March of 2016 and brought it to Vermont from the Bahamas. The previous owners have done a lot to keep her in good condition. Along the way we have picked up a few problems that need attention, and are wondering if any other forum members have had experience with them . I will list them as different threads.
The first being our Vetus Bow Thruster stopped working . It has full voltage to the terminals and will click when the joystick handle is moved to either side. Also if you reach under the motor and feel the shaft , it will turn freely. How may I trouble shoot this problem??

Thank you BSN

The solenoid may be the issue. If you track down info from the manufacturer, you should be able to bypass it and test that the motor is in fact working fine by jumping the proper terminals. Then if so replace solenoid.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Edit: sorry I couldn't give you more specific info on what terminals to jump. We have different brand thrusters and I'm not familiar with the wiring in yours.

Welcome to the forum!

The issue may also be the brushes in your bow thruster. They may either be worn or one may be hung up and not touching the armature. Generally the clinking noise you here is the solenoid moving. You can test the solenoids by measuring voltage on the output side of them while someone bumps the switch.

Ted

Reactions: BSN
In the end the procedure will be the same, start jumping the appropriate terminals to see. If you jump the control board (assuming there is one) and it runs then it's the board. If it doesn't then If you jump the solenoid and it still doesn't run its the brushes or the motor itself. If it does run then it was the solenoid.

Welcome!

Since I'll be going through Lake Champlain in a few weeks, I'm wondering where in Danby VT you keep a 36' boat. Looks a little hilly on the map ;)

But seriously, the first step in diagnosing thruster problems is to listen. The click means there's power to the windings of the solenoid, so that rules out one whole side of the wiring. Some possibilities are posted above. Also look for a popped breaker. A big voltage drop on the system that powers the thruster would indicate the motor is getting power but is locked for some reason. No voltage drop means no power to the motor. Don't neglect the ground side of the circuit, that seems to be the problem more often than not. Also consider loose connections that can test OK but fail when a load is put on them.

Danby is

Danby is like Southern Maine............. We are keeping Both Sides Now at Chipman Point on Lake Champlain , Orwell VT. Thanks for the info K

BSN
Welcome to TF

You are in some mighty fine cruising area - enjoy!

Danby is like Southern Maine............. We are keeping Both Sides Now at Chipman Point on Lake Champlain , Orwell VT. Thanks for the info K

We'll look for it when we go by. I've never cruised Champlain and am really looking forward to it!

Welcome aboard.

We are scheduled to be at the Burlington Boathouse in late July. Stop by and we can break bread.

Jim & Linda

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom