Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
Member
 
MV Alchemy's Avatar
 
City: World
Country: World
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 14
New Nordhavn 72 owner

Hello all

We moved over to power from sail earlier this year when we bought a Nordhavn 72 that we have re-named MV Alchemy (previously Shear Madness). We live on board full time (me, my wife and 6 year old son) and are currently in the Bahamas on a shake down cruise.

So far we love the stability and space of this boat compared to the 56ft Oyster sailboat that we sailed from the U.K. to New Zealand over the last 3 years. I just have to learn what all the buttons, switches, wires and valves do and try not to break anything in the meantime.

We look forward to meeting some of you on the water.

Tom
MV Alchemy
__________________
Advertisement

MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,734
Welcome and have fun.
__________________

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,869
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,082
Welcome aboard!!!
__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,239
Welcome Tom! You boating experiences sound amazing. I confess to a bit of envy.

You will learn the new systems quickly.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #6
Guru
 
Lou_tribal's Avatar
 
City: Quebec
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,177
We!come aboard, Nordhavn 72, WOA!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Alchemy View Post
Hello all

We moved over to power from sail earlier this year when we bought a Nordhavn 72 that we have re-named MV Alchemy (previously Shear Madness). We live on board full time (me, my wife and 6 year old son) and are currently in the Bahamas on a shake down cruise.

So far we love the stability and space of this boat compared to the 56ft Oyster sailboat that we sailed from the U.K. to New Zealand over the last 3 years. I just have to learn what all the buttons, switches, wires and valves do and try not to break anything in the meantime.

We look forward to meeting some of you on the water.

Tom
MV Alchemy
Wifey B: I see you live in the World. Big place. What are some of your plans once you move beyond the Bahamas? First couple of years of trips?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
Member
 
MV Alchemy's Avatar
 
City: World
Country: World
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I see you live in the World. Big place. What are some of your plans once you move beyond the Bahamas? First couple of years of trips?


Were going to North Palm Beach this weekend then working our way up the east coast in June. Were leaving the boat near Norfolk for a couple of months in July/August while we go back to the U.K. to see family then well spend a couple of months cruising the Chesapeake. After that, down to the Exumas until December and then on to the Eastern Caribbean, ending up in Grenada for hurricane season 2019.

Im exhausted just from writing all that!
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #9
Member
 
MV Alchemy's Avatar
 
City: World
Country: World
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Welcome Tom! You boating experiences sound amazing. I confess to a bit of envy.

You will learn the new systems quickly.


The crazy thing is that the first time I stepped foot on a boat was in a November 2014 when I crossed the Atlantic as a crew member. Things moved quite quickly from there!
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #10
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,361
Welcome aboard
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Guru
 
seasalt007's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, FL
Country: U.S.
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 628
Did you ever run into a guy named Ian Smith with a Oyster sailboat in NZ?
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #12
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,329
Hmmmm, you don't do things in a small way, do you. "Go big or go home."


Welcome aboard TF. Now let's see some photos.
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #13
Member
 
MV Alchemy's Avatar
 
City: World
Country: World
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
Did you ever run into a guy named Ian Smith with a Oyster sailboat in NZ?


Yes - I know him well. Why do you ask?
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #14
Member
 
MV Alchemy's Avatar
 
City: World
Country: World
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfc View Post
hmmmm, you don't do things in a small way, do you. "go big or go home."


welcome aboard tf. Now let's see some photos.


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	76179
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #15
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Alchemy View Post
We’re going to North Palm Beach this weekend then working our way up the east coast in June. We’re leaving the boat near Norfolk for a couple of months in July/August while we go back to the U.K. to see family then we’ll spend a couple of months cruising the Chesapeake. After that, down to the Exumas until December and then on to the Eastern Caribbean, ending up in Grenada for hurricane season 2019.

I’m exhausted just from writing all that!
Welcome aboard.

We just got back from the Abacos yesterday. I believe I saw a yellow hulled Nordhavn anchored outside Marsh a couple of weeks ago?

We may see you up in the Chesapeake as we are cruising there June, July and August. I'll be the one stopping by to see if you have any Grey Poupon!
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #16
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 11,114
That's a dramatic avatar! Also, great to see a boat that isn't all white.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #17
Member
 
MV Alchemy's Avatar
 
City: World
Country: World
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Welcome aboard.

We just got back from the Abacos yesterday. I believe I saw a yellow hulled Nordhavn anchored outside Marsh a couple of weeks ago?

We may see you up in the Chesapeake as we are cruising there June, July and August. I'll be the one stopping by to see if you have any Grey Poupon!


Yes, that was us. We saw you in our dinghy when you were anchored off Matt Lowes Cay. We were thinking of coming over to say hello but our 6 year old wanted to get back to the boat by then. Hope to see you in the Chesapeake.
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #18
Member
 
MV Alchemy's Avatar
 
City: World
Country: World
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
That's a dramatic avatar! Also, great to see a boat that isn't all white.


Slightly misleading as it is from the previous owners trip up to Newfoundland. Nice photo though.
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #19
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Alchemy View Post
Yes, that was us. We saw you in our dinghy when you were anchored off Matt Lowe’s Cay. We were thinking of coming over to say hello but our 6 year old wanted to get back to the boat by then. Hope to see you in the Chesapeake.
Make sure to read our last blog entry on Matt Lowe's - we got chased off the beach by a pack of dogs!!!

Give us a holler if you stop by Jax on your way north.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #20
Guru
 
seasalt007's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, FL
Country: U.S.
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Alchemy View Post
Yes - I know him well. Why do you ask?

Small world. I know his 94 year old father quite well ...Ian Sr.... and have met Ian Jr. several times during his visits to Punta Gorda. The last time was a few months ago just after he got his boat.


I'll mention this to Ian Sr.
__________________

seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012