New Member in Stuart FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swabbmob

Vessel Name
Island
Vessel Make
39 ft Eagle Trawler
Hello All,
Susan, our two teenage boys and I are moving aboard our trawler this week. Our boat is a classic old beauty in need of some TLC. I look forward to your advice as we start our journey!

Give us a shout if you are near Stuart. :)

Regards,
Bruce

Hello Bruce,
Enjoy your adventure aboard; welcome to the forum!

Ted

Stuart is a great cruising community. Spent almost two years on the St Lucie. Best of luck with your new venture.

Welcome. We are in Stuart at Sunset Bay.

Welcome to the forum and living aboard! Best of luck with your new adventure!

Hello All,
Susan, our two teenage boys and I are moving aboard our trawler this week. Our boat is a classic old beauty in need of some TLC. I look forward to your advice as we start our journey!

Regards,
Bruce

How did you make the decision as a family to do this? Are you maintaining any land presence? Just curious as to how different people arrive at that point. Certainly many live aboards here, many who would like to be, and then others who are part time at it.

Welcome aboard! Always glad to have more Florida folks.
A word of warning. If you ask about anchors on this forum you will find out that your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.:D

Bruce welcome! You are taking a step I also hope to take some day, good luck.

Jeff

Welcome aboard. Stuart is an attractive area.Where are you in Stuart?
Enjoy your adventure.

John

Great area! Good luck on the upgrade/refit. I spent several years doing a restoration/refit on an old glass Chris Craft. Learned a LOT but mainly learned it is doable.

Steelydon

Hello All,

Regards,
Bruce

Welcome aboard and to your adventure

Welcome, we too are in Stuart and looking forward to the adventures of boating. ��

Welcome!
We live on North Hutchinson Island and I recently joined this forum as well. I think you will love it. Good luck on your new adventure!
Rick

Hello All,

Regards,
Bruce

Welcome to the forum, we too are just joining this forum as well. My wife and I grew up in Stuart (Jensen Beach and Palm City to be exact). We moved around a bit when I was young, but all right there in Stuart area. We have some extended family still there. I graduated from MCHS.
If you have been there a while, you may remember Francis Langford Outrigger and Marina there in Jensen Beach off Indian River Drive. It's since been sold and is now called something else. Well, I got started in boating right there on those docks learning how to tie a knot and toss a line. I used to work for Mrs. Landford and Ralph Evinrude on both of their yachts, ("Fran E" and "The Chanticleer") that were always there. The place has really changed though since those days but, the memories are still there. We vacation every year in July up in Vero near family, so if we are near you, we will certainly give a shout. I would enjoy that.

Scott & Malina

If you have been there a while, you may remember Francis Langford Outrigger and Marina there in Jensen Beach off Indian River Drive. It's since been sold and is now called something else.

That name sounds familiar and I am fairly certain my parents took us to dinner there in the late 1950's as my parents were fans of Ms Langford. We lived up in Rockledge but my dad kept his 25' Owens down at Port Salerno due to better offshore fishing.

That name sounds familiar and I am fairly certain my parents took us to dinner there in the late 1950's as my parents were fans of Ms Langford. We lived up in Rockledge but my dad kept his 25' Owens down at Port Salerno due to better offshore fishing.

Yeah, they used to have a real nice Polynesian restaurant. I also used to work part time there doing valet parking. It's probably the same place, the restaurant used to sit right there on the Indian River with a nice view looking out at it.
The place was sold after Mr. E passed in 87' (I believe).

Scott, I remember making deliveries to the Chanticleer back in the early 70's. I think she stayed at Merrill Stevens when she was in Miami. That was the original Chanticleer. Later they bought Buckpasser and renamed her Chanticleer. I don't know what happened to the original, do you?

Congratulations!

Post pictures and details when you can.

Hello All,

Regards,
Bruce

what year is you eagle?

The Chanticleer was docked at Apex Marine in Stuart as of 2 weeks ago. Apex is on A1A about a half mile north of the Roosevelt draw bridge. I think it was the original. Next time I go by there I'll grab a photo if it's still there.

Howard

The Chanticleer was docked at Apex Marine in Stuart as of 2 weeks ago. Apex is on A1A about a half mile north of the Roosevelt draw bridge. I think it was the original. Next time I go by there I'll grab a photo if it's still there.

Howard

Howard,
Is that the Burger or the Defoe that's in Stuart?

Scott & Malina

Don't know which it is but I will likely be there by the weekend. If it's still there I will post photos. Howard

c010460.jpg

I think this is the Chanticleer I remember from the early seventies. She had a long lean look to her. This photo was taken in 1948 and was labeled "John Pace's Chanticleer".

Did Evinrude buy Chanticleer from Pace?

For some reason I think this one was lost in the Med a few years ago, but I haven't found any reference to it on Google.

The one in Stuart is probably the Burger, former Buckpasser, which is still in service. Both boats were well maintained by professional crews.

Here's a picture of Chanticleer taken today in Stuart, FL.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 123
I remember stopping at Frances Langford's super-club in the 60's. She always wore jewels and there was music. If she was there occasionally she'd invite us to bring our boat back to her house (up the river) and she had a swimming pool. To me, that was the height of living.

I don't recall her boat(s) though.

It was her grand daughter who was killed in that stick-up. She was working alone at a convenience store in the middle of the night and was murdered. Mrs. Langford made it her purpose in life to get legislation enacted to require companies to have two workers after midnight in shops. That's the legacy she left behind for others...

I'm not sure when that happened and don't recall going back to visit her. I thought her stones were pretty. Isn't it odd? The things we remember... Big rocks and a swimming pool.

I later found out she was an actress and do have one of her Bickerson tapes as an MP3.

I'm a little late to the game, but hello, and welcome to the forum.
I agree. Always great to have another Floridian aboard.

I think the idea of having the family aboard, especially the teenagers, is great!:thumb: It'll be an experience that not a lot of kids will ever have, and something they'll never forget.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom