New member in the PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbear

Vessel Name
Adelante
Vessel Make
Shin Shing, Eagle 35'
Hello all,

Will post a proper hello soon. Just a quick note on our first non-necessary cruise today.
Son, daughter-in-law, and new grandson from out of town.
New to me trawler, 3 rd time driving it.
Wind.
So I take off from the slip no problem. We get just outside of the marina and motor stops. I know it is fuel starvation because I turned a lever last week in the engine room.
Immediately deploy anchor to keep off rocks.
Re-wire a electric pump that is partly setup to aid in bleeding air out of system.
Use pump and bleed air out.
Re-start motor and drive another 5 minutes to turn around and come back in as wind is building.
Attempt to dock twice and finally get in slip. Slight touch with forward rail.
The high profile and single screw are fun in the wind.
We all hop off lot assist the 40' sailboat sideways and scraping his hull getting in.
Grandson just loves the water.
I love boating!!
Jeff

Welcome aboard. You happen to live in one of my favorite boating cities and the gateway to some of the finest boating in the world. Good job on getting it into the slip in the wind.

Lots of practice in the wind will make that maneuver much easier over time.

Jbear, just came from Anacortes this afternoon visiting with a boating friend. Great marina! Wonderful place to hail from for sure! I had a similar experience a few weeks ago with one of my engines. Sounds like you handled the matter like a pro. Turning back to fix the problem is the wise choice indeed. Enjoy getting to know her for sure! I just came back from Anacortes with a few more projects on my list from our visit today....it's boating.

Thanks for all the hello's and nice words.

Yeah,I followed a little diagram the PO had made with the switch. Apparently not as correct as you would think.

I can learn by reading. I read all I can about the FL120 in the manual and from many posts on this board. When it stopped I was able to deploy the anchor quick! New to the trawler but not boating and first emergency tool is the anchor!

I pretty much knew right away what happened. The PO put on dual filters in a dual configuration so I have 4 racors built into two groups. I can switch between the two groups and it is a nice setup. Best of all, in front of the filter setup is an inline electric pump with pressure sense with a switch right there. Went through the FL bleed process and was going in about 30 minutes. Took a minute to open the ipad and get the manual up.

I am sure many more fun times to be had. And yes, I have much to learn about driving a single screw in the wind, in the current, in the... Ha ha

Jeff

Welcome aboard jbear. Which Marina are you moored at? We are in Anacortes Marina. I would love to set your dual Racor setup sometime, we are considering the same thing for our boat, it has single racors on the engines right now.

Welcome aboard. Anacortes is a great location. May you have many years of enjoyment.

Welcome aboard. The winter wind in Anacortes can definitely be a challenge. Sounds like all went well. We also have the FL 120 with dual Racors. I like the set up & the ability to just turn the valve to the other filter if there is a problem. So far our only fuel issue was with the primary filter & not the Racors. Enjoy your new boat! Randy

Welcome aboard!

How does a "necessary" cruise differ from a cruise?

I've posted this before, but on my Lehman I tossed the primary filters and replaced them with a bulkhead mounted Racor. All of that was to get rid of the twin on-engine filters. I mounted it on the bulkhead because I was not sure how it would handle the Lehman's vibration at idle. Worked fine, no issues with the lift pump, bought proper threaded fuel lines too. There are other solutions for the twin primaries but I like the redundancy and the clear fuel bowl and the ability to see the filter element. 3 Racors, all 500s, with 2 microns in the "primary."

I have a spare Racor 900 and when I get to page 5 of my to-do list, I will replace the on-engine filter on my Cummins, too.

Last edited:
Necessary cruise was moving boat to new marina, and the a 200 yard cruise to the pump out. Non-necessary was just to go out and play.

We have been working on the boat so much it was just nice to go on board and not have to turn a wrench! Well, in the end I had to do some maintenance but oh well.

The filter pump setup is pretty cool. I still have the on engine primaries but the two filter each side initial filters look to be nice if you get in rough weather and stir anything up. The tanks have inspection ports in them so I hope they have been cleaned. As soon as possible I am going to clean them. Right now I have about 300 gallons of fuel on board from the PO. Not complaining! First time I have purchased anything with full tanks.

We are in Cap Sante marina. P-68. Come on by and say hello. We will be moving aboard for the summer mid-March so are spending quite a bit of time on her getting everything sorted out. We really love the hull. At 35' she is 13.6' wide. We looked at several 34' CHB types but when we saw this and realized for an extra foot in length we could pick up almost two feet in width. Made the boat feel so much bigger.

Jeff

Jeff,

I will try to stop by next time I am at our boat, we live in the Yakima area. I will be up to continue our new head install and other projects probably the first week of March. Sounds like you are enjoying your boat and looking forward to cruising.

Just wanted to take a moment and send a BIG thank you to all the great people and the forum in general. I have followed some of the suggestions such as putting in an Eva-Dry dehumidifier, changes to electrical systems, etc. It is great to have a resource like this and all of the varied opinions and experience. So, thanks!

. It is great to have a resource like this and all of the varied opinions and experience. So, thanks!

I don't think there's a need for saying thanks mate. Just pay it forward and contribute to this community with your knowledge is all that this community is all about :thumb: ... Give, don't just take :thumb:

Summer plans

Hello all,

Will post a proper hello soon. Just a quick note on our first non-necessary cruise today.
Son, daughter-in-law, and new grandson from out of town.
New to me trawler, 3 rd time driving it.
Wind.
So I take off from the slip no problem. We get just outside of the marina and motor stops. I know it is fuel starvation because I turned a lever last week in the engine room.
Immediately deploy anchor to keep off rocks.
Re-wire a electric pump that is partly setup to aid in bleeding air out of system.
Use pump and bleed air out.
Re-start motor and drive another 5 minutes to turn around and come back in as wind is building.
Attempt to dock twice and finally get in slip. Slight touch with forward rail.
The high profile and single screw are fun in the wind.
We all hop off lot assist the 40' sailboat sideways and scraping his hull getting in.
Grandson just loves the water.
I love boating!!
Jeff

Hi Jeff:

Like you I am also new to the forum. I was wondering if you have any specific plans for your summer? I am always interested in what folks are going to do while on board during the summer?

Shawn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom