Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
New Member Orientation 102

Realizing that nobody says it better than our resident wordsmith of Trawler Forum let me quote this classic post. Please humor me as this is perhaps the only classic post on the whole darn forum No really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Welcome aboard the good ship TF.

Good afternoon, I'm the duty hospitality officer and I will show you around the ship. Follow me please.

On the port side is the engine room, the crew in this area speak in a strange dialect not often understood by the rest of the crew, they tend to be highly skilled and are not considered to be dangerous, although occasionally there will be a dispute about how best to configure the centrifugal capacitor for the main shaft( the MK 1 not the MK2 ).

Next to the engine room on the starboard side, the extreme starboard, is a door that you are not permitted to enter without a senior officer present.Take note of the sign on the door 'OTDE enter at your peril'. Crew have been seen to enter and never be seen again. You will notice that the door is on a watertight bulkhead, this is to protect the rest of the crew. I don't know exactly what they do in there, but rumours have it that they are connected to the navigation of the ship. The charts show stormy waters with the Obama shoals on the port side and with the neocon rip to starboard, it's full of icebergs, which some say are getting smaller. Sometime you will see this crew looking back over the stern of the ship, rumour has it they want us to turn around and go back.

At the forward end of the ship is a small but dedicated crew waiting for the order to drop anchor. They are considered to be entirely harmless and you are free to spend some time with them. However, it's better not to mention too much about anchors, as this just encourages them. The only slight issues this crew has is which is the best anchor to use, although they seem to have every anchor known to man, and then some.

Please follow me to the galley and officers mess. Some say this is the true reason the ship was built in the first place. The members of the ward room are a jolly lot, and as long as supplies are in, it's a good place to congregate. There has only been one instance of unpleasantness recently, a member of the mess had a picture of his empty fridge posted on our bulletin board, this caused great consternation through the normally placid crew. A board of enquiry may be convened.

The small group you see on the upper deck, sitting with their feet on the rail and beer in hand are the Oz east coast crew. That lot are so laid back it's a wonder they don't fall overboard. They are by nature members of the officers mess.

Slightly astern of them are the wood craft and screwdriver brigade, they also incorporate the flush em' away crew. These tend to be ex boy scouts and girl guides who like things neat and tidy, and working properly. They are safe to mingle with and give you good advice just like your mother did. They are nominally led by the senior female officer of the ship.

Last but not least is the bridge. The captain and senior officers pretty much let the ship steam it's own course, dodging those melting icebergs, with the occasional court of enquiry if required. They allow no flogging on board, despite hints from some of the OTDE crew. The good ship TF charts her course somewhere between Gilligan's Island and HMS Surprise(Mater & Commander)

Welcome aboard
Now that Andy has given you the tour(thank you Andy) let us proceed.

I dug this post up as when it was originally penned we had perhaps less than 2,500 members, since that time we have swollen to well over three times that size. As we race toward nearly a quarter million posts and 10,000 members I thought it a good time to have a thread like this. Many of our newer members have communicated with me through the Private Message system that this is their first journey into the world of internet forums. It can be both exciting and daunting.

A few tips to help those with little forum navigation experience can perhaps flatten out the learning curve a bit.

TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS ONLINE SHOUTING! It's also generally poor online manners. Please be mindful of the caps lock button.

Excessive use of large or small fonts or colors other than the default black also make posts very difficult to read. Using them to highlight text to help making a point is okay but typing in all orange or magenta letters guarantees many will not bother reading it. Also keep in mind that anyone reading this paragraph through the App on a mobile device will not see a color or font change at all as the app does not support them and shows all that cutesy color and font as size 2 black, the forum default.

This is an international community and humor or sarcasm does not always translate well. We seldom have problems in this area but it is something to keep in mind. Try using a "Smile" or two if in doubt

Sometimes less is more. Excessively long posts with lots of non related questions are difficult to read, answer and ultimately lead to fragmented threads. Along these same lines would be quoting entire posts when only referring to one line of text. Cut and paste or snipping the quoted text down to size makes posts much more readable for others.

We are in general a fairly laid back group of folks who love talking about boats and boating who are very approachable. The real experts will chime in soon and offer better advice than I but it's a decent starting point.

It may seem overwhelming at first but soon it becomes second nature. Welcome and remember, boating is supposed to be fun, so by all means have fun here too.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Thanks Craig

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That's the best thing I've read on TF for quite awhile.

First time I've seen it.

Note short post.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #5

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Three paragraphs is not very short ... just kidding ...

Good reminder!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #6

City: Jupiter, FL
That is an awesome post, thanks so much.

SiestaKey, that is a beautiful boat in your avatar
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
That's the best thing I've read on TF for quite awhile.

First time I've seen it.

Note short post.
That's 'cause it just went up, Eric…in part in response to you and others raising the issue again. See…we do listen...
Old 05-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
Guru

City: Heartland
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I would also encourage all members, new and long-time, to enter some info about yourself besides just your gender. We have some members here who have been regular contributors for 5 years or more but all we know is their screen name and gender. It's nice to know at least a first name, hometown and boat type. You can still maintain anonymity, if that's your thing, while telling us a bit about yourself.

It's so much easier to have a round table discussion when we know who's sitting at the table. Besides, you might make a friend or two by sharing information. We have many folks who have met and formed friendships with folks on the forum. I've had the good fortune to meet several TFers and have enjoyed their company in many social settings.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
... We have many folks who have met and formed friendships with folks on the forum. I've had the good fortune to meet several TFers and have enjoyed their company in many social settings.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
TF Site Team

Noooooo! Not the pink hat!! Arrrrrgh!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Al, you look taller there. Are you wearing your matching pink pumps?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Al, isn't that your standard "social" wear?

Well, perhaps not always.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
TF Site Team

Angry

A thousand apologies to all the new and old members seeking real information here but are forced to wade through tasteless pictures of me in various states of head garb. I am obligated to wear this pink hat for years due to the trouble and expense dwhatty went to to give it to me for Christmas. To all my pink hat-loving friends, I recall this touching scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries....Now run away or I shall taunt you a second time!!"

Now where's Wifey B when I need her to assuage my guilt and shame and compliment my male confidence in my choice to wear pink?

We apologize for this break and now return to our original programming.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #16
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Searching the Forum

Alrighty then, that was an example of thread creep folks. Nothing to concern ourselves with as it happens quite often... Moving right along.

Searching the forum for the topic of your question, issue or interest.

There are actually several ways to accomplish this. The first is located at the top of every page you view. About 2 inches down from the top of the page you will see a red bar about 1/4" wide, third from the right is the search key. Tapping on it opens a pop up that will allow you to type a keyword into it. Doing so and pressing enter or clicking the "Go" button will open a page with results. That option is not always the best.

Clicking on the tab in that same pop up that says "Advanced Search" will open a page that allows you many more options for your search. That is the better option.

However my favorite way to search the forum is through our custom Google search feature, it is found at this link. Trawler Forum Custom Google Search This IMO (in my opinion) is by far and away the best option for the most relevant results. That option can also be found in both mine and Janet H's signature line at the bottom of any of our posts.

For those of you that access the forum on a mobile device through our "app" will notice the 3rd option from the bottom of the tool bar is your only option. It's not the greatest but apps are not famous for offering powerful options. Apps will be covered in an upcoming post to this thread covering mobile device navigating in app.

That's all for now and as always feel free to send a PM(Private Message) to any TF Site Team member if you have any other questions regarding forum navigation or features.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #17
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
[QUOTE=CPseudonym;232284]Alrighty then, that was an example of thread creep folks. Nothing to concern ourselves with as it happens quite often... Moving right along.

I must admit I admire your fortitude in not being waylaid by the slings and arrows of outrageous posts, not to mention the occasional pink cap.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #18

City: Kemah
Awesome
milbysbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 AM   #19

City: Chesapeake
Thanks for the great introduction.
Mila Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #20

City: Nova Scotia
Smile Thanks for the welcoming

I'm happy to be a new member of this forum. It's great to hear from people who enjoy boating. I currently have a 17'6" Princecraft with a 115 - 4 stroke on the back, bought it new in 07, no issues to speak of.

I'm in the market for a 2003 Mainship Pilot 30, I'm hoping to buy next spring. I've been learning lots from this site and I'm sureI'll have some questions in the future.

Cecil,

cehilli is offline   Reply With Quote