Old 09-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Peconic
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Atlantic Prarie 30 LRC
Angry New Member Disappointment

I am a new member & have just purchased an Atlantic/Prairie 30 "Moondance". The boat is great, but I have questions about the way the batteries (4 banks) are connected & charged. There is only one battery switch (1-2-Both). I have tried to contact the previous owned through the broker numerous times with no response from the previous owner. I am very disappointed about this. I have sold boats before and was always available to the new owners and answered all of their questions. I know nobody can answer this question, except the person who set it up & used it for a number of years, or an electrician after untold hours of tracing wires. I just wanted to vent my frustration about their non response.
1Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
You can treat the batteries like a single battery

Or if you're nervous disconnect the start batt not long after shutdown.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sailor View Post
I am a new member & have just purchased an Atlantic/Prairie 30 "Moondance". The boat is great, but I have questions about the way the batteries (4 banks) are connected & charged. There is only one battery switch (1-2-Both). I have tried to contact the previous owned through the broker numerous times with no response from the previous owner. I am very disappointed about this. I have sold boats before and was always available to the new owners and answered all of their questions. I know nobody can answer this question, except the person who set it up & used it for a number of years, or an electrician after untold hours of tracing wires. I just wanted to vent my frustration about their non response.
Sorry for your trouble. Don't sell us short. Take 20 pictures covering all the aspects of the system. Post them in this thread. Most likely we can help you. I'm pretty good at this stuff, but can't analyze what I can't see, so be thorough with your pics,

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
1Sailor,

Did you low ball him, nit pick at survey, etc.? This can leave a real bad taste in the sellers mouth. It happened when I sold my house. The guy was a total A..hole about everything, then somehow thought we would be buddies, and I would help with a bunch of stuff. Don't think so.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sailor View Post

Welcome.

Sorry about the frustration. You may be able to find a contact number for the PO through the marina where the boat was kept and skip the broker.

If the only switch is a 1/2/Both/Off switch it shouldn't be all that hard to see how it is wired. I would also consider how you would want the switch to be wired and then go from there.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for your reply. The way the wiring is done, VERY NEAT BUNDLES going into the battery switch, I'm not sure which bank is the engine start & the house bank 1or 2. I want to be able to anchor out, from time to time, and have 12 volt refrigeration going. I want to be sure that the engine start batteries are not being discharged and I have the power to start the engine. A simple response from the previous owner would be an easy & polite thing to do!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
Guru

Just use an amp clamp on individual banks with a load on, then cycle switch. Easypeasy

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 09-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I made an offer on the boat that was accepted. The survey naturally came up with a few MINOR issues that were taken care of. I didn't knit pick, or make a big deal about anything. Nobody forced them to accept mu offer. The boat was up for sale for 2 years or so. I sold boats and didn't get close to what I thought I should, but I was a gentleman about it and personally went through the boat with the new owner, gave him my cell# & answered all of his questions that came up even after weeks later.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
Guru

Just asking, he might be bitter after 2 years on the market, it could just be the broker not passing it on. Anyway, do you understand the amp clamp suggestion?

www.caribbeansealife.com
Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
1Sailor,

Did you low ball him, nit pick at survey, etc.? This can leave a real bad taste in the sellers mouth. It happened when I sold my house. The guy was a total A..hole about everything, then somehow thought we would be buddies, and I would help with a bunch of stuff. Don't think so.

If you only have a single switch, 1,2,both,off, then you only have 2 banks, 1 and 2. Likely the batteries are 3 House, 1 Engine. Sould be easily verified with a clamp Ammeter.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #11
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post

If you only have a single switch, 1,2,both,off, then you only have 2 banks, 1 and 2. Likely the batteries are 3 House, 1 Engine. Sould be easily verified with a clamp Ammeter.
Well said Sir.

Basically if you have a two way switch there are only two separate battery packs.

Your system is 12 volts, so there is either one battery in each of the two packs, or a whole load of them wired in parallel.

So you can treat your batteries regardless of how many there are as just two separate single batteries with a simple switch between them.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:46 AM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 1S. Get a beverage and a note pad. Turn selector switch (SS) to off. What works? Hopefully not much other than your bilge pump(s). Open fridge door to see of light works. Try to start engine.
Turn SS to 1. Same deal as above. What works and what doesn't?
Turn SS to 2. Same deal as above. What works and what doesn't?
Again, hopefully, when the SS is in the ALL position, everything works. Should be a simple process to determine which of your 2 battery banks (as mentioned above) is starting and which is house.
Drink beverage.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

There are actually 4 separate banks of batteries, one under the V berth for the bow thruster, one on the forward starboard side of the engine, & two on the aft port side of the engine.. I do understand the clamp on Amp suggestion. The wires are not easily seen, and are bundled neatly, and since there is only one switch,??? I will be able to figure this all out after crawling around the boat & bilge. I started this thread only to voice my frustration in not being able to get a response from the previous owner. It would be easy for him to answer these questions, even through a third party (the broker).
Old 09-27-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I also want to see if I can leave the switch on "Both" as it is and that there is a diode to prevent the engine start battery from discharging. I did cycle the switch from 1 then 2 & all of the house lights worked on both settings.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I am going to "Moondance" now to play some more. Thank you all for your replies!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I would never even think of calling the PO with questions. At the risk of sounding harsh, read a book, ask neighbors, pay someone, or ask questions on forums.

Honestly, I wouldn't return your calls if I were the PO either. Not because of you or anything you did. It's just it's not my !@##$# problem anymore. It's your problem now. I have my own @#$$% to deal with and don't need to hold the hand of the new owner with every question they had.

Think about it from the PO's perspective. If he really wanted to keep working on the boat they wouldn't have sold it. He was tired of dealing with the boat when the problems were his. He could certainly care less about your problems now.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #17
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
A good surveyor should have gone through the various on, 1,2, off connections to verify working not working systems. Ask him your questions. He may have your answer(s) in his survey notes.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:16 PM   #18
Guru

City: Northport
"I know nobody can answer this question, except the person who set it up & used it for a number of years, or an electrician after untold hours of tracing wires. I just wanted to vent my frustration about their non response."

When you were in the process of purchasing the boat and describing what was included with the boat was there any conversation about support or calls after the sale? Did you ask for and/or get a walk through of the boat by the prior owner as a requirement of the sale? Was there any agreement on what exact paperwork and systems descriptions were included prior to the sale? Did the broker commit to specific support functions that were to be delivered after the sale? Did your surveyor agreement include a walk through or follow either before or after the sale that included systems explanation?
What was the expectations that were set by the purchasing agreement and any of the follow on emails and/or letters?
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
A good surveyor should have gone through the various on, 1,2, off connections to verify working not working systems. Ask him your questions. He may have your answer(s) in his survey notes.
Are you serious?
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #20
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Are you serious?
Of course. The PO didn't know the answer to a question I had on a boat I bought earlier this year, so I called the surveyor and he gave me the answer.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote